Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys back at the Lewes Arms!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lord Bracknell said:

How the hell did the concept of "Irish cider" gain a foothold in England, the country that invented the product and refined its production to the point that EVERYONE knows that real cider is neither clear, nor full of bubbles, nor served with ice?

Yes well, that's girls for you. :(

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Bozza said:
My current favourite is Aspell Premier Cru

178765BL.jpg

A nice dry cider (or cyder as they say) it comes from Suffolk which makes me feel as though I'm betraying by West Country home. Oh well.

Get yourself over to Suffolk and get the stuff on draught - superb. Except most of the pubs in Suffolk are owned by...

Bugger.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Lord Bracknell said:
Is that a Harveys rep?

Or the rep from The Beer Seller?

;)

I'd imagine they'd be in a spot of bother if they ordered through Waverley TBS - the outgoing landlord of a local Greene King house has just been fined £3,000 by the brewery for ordering through them.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In the old days of tied houses, if the brewery could not supply the beer, the landlord could buy it elsewhere.

I think the rules/contracts have changed since then.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
perseus said:
In the old days of tied houses, if the brewery could not supply the beer, the landlord could buy it elsewhere.

That's assuming that the beer in question is provided by the company the pub was tied to, rather than another brewers beer that the company is permitting the sale of in one of their houses. When I was at the L.A. we had to order Harveys through Greene King.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Grendel said:
That's assuming that the beer in question is provided by the company the pub was tied to, rather than another brewers beer that the company is permitting the sale of in one of their houses. When I was at the L.A. we had to order Harveys through Greene King.

I was thinking of cider. Watneys used to supply Bulmers traditional Medium Sweet to the local pub. But this was in wooden firkins/casks and when the coopers could not repair the casks and the landlord insisted that the locals would only drink cider out of the wood, he could order Coates through the local off-licence.

Its all plastic now.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
In the months before the Harveys came out, it arrived on a Beer Seller dray. But it may well be that this arrangement was via whatever ordering process goes through Greene King first.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
It may well be - when I was there you could still get Harveys in pretty much every ex-Beards pub in the Greene King estate (The Sloop and The Three Cups being the exceptions) so it made sense for it to be delivered on the Greene King dray with everything else. It seems daft to me to get it from TBS when the brewery is just down the road and the nearest TBS depot is Hailsham but there you go, I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Lewes Arms Latest: "Half a score of barrels below, Bury St. Edmunds to overthrow?"

nectar2.jpg

PS. People shouldn't be too quick to fall for a wind up. 15 barrels have been delivered already and are being lovingly tended.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What a beautiful sight.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A question from a friend of mine currently exiled in France but planning to visit Lewes in the near future:

Apart from the Lewes Arms and the John Harvey what other pubs in Lewes serve Harveys? Were they all bought up by Greene King?

(Yes I know that's technically two questions ...)

Brovian said:
A question from a friend of mine currently exiled in France but planning to visit Lewes in the near future:

Apart from the Lewes Arms and the John Harvey what other pubs in Lewes serve Harveys? Were they all bought up by Greene King?

(Yes I know that's technically two questions ...)
Greede King bought all the ex-Beards pubs and the Harveys has gone from all of them - apart from the Lewes Arms.

Historically, Harveys had NO pubs in Lewes (because they had a deal with Beards that gave Beards control of the town pubs in exchange for Harveys running rural pubs). The only exception was the Swan at Southover (which counted as "rural" in those days).

The only tied Harveys houses in Lewes are therefore the new pubs - the Dorset Arms (post-rebuild) and the John Harvey Tavern.

But there are plenty of outlets for Harveys that aren't controlled by Greene King - try the Gardeners Arms, the Lansdown, the Crown, the White Hart, the Con Club, the Pelham Arms, the Elephant and Castle, the Volunteer, the Brewers Arms, Lewes FC, or just buy direct from the brewery shop.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Greede King bought all the ex-Beards pubs and the Harveys has gone from all of them - apart from the Lewes Arms.

Historically, Harveys had NO pubs in Lewes (because they had a deal with Beards that gave Beards control of the town pubs in exchange for Harveys running rural pubs). The only exception was the Swan at Southover (which counted as "rural" in those days).

The only tied Harveys houses in Lewes are therefore the new pubs - the Dorset Arms (post-rebuild) and the John Harvey Tavern.

But there are plenty of outlets for Harveys that aren't controlled by Greene King - try the Gardeners Arms, the Lansdown, the Crown, the White Hart, the Con Club, the Pelham Arms, the Elephant and Castle, Lewes FC, or just buy direct from the brewery shop.
Ta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here