Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Comments Re Withdean!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Goring Gull said:
No idea, but i don't see why they should move just for us. Sorry if thats not going with a pro Albion everyone should do what we want stance but i don't think clubs etc that have been using it for years should be forced out.

Why not? We got Withdean FC the hell out of there so lets keep it going and crush everyone who stands in our way. Mwahahaha.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London Irish said:
But is it a positive suggestion? I think it's pretty negative even considering driving fellow sporting community organisations into exile, we would be their Bill Archers :(

Agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the football club and the athletics clubs have a somewhat frosty relationship at the best of times.

That isn't based on any inside knowledge, but we're all seen the arguments that take place when certain stadia are being build.

Wembley, the Oylmpics, the controversy after Man City moved in ?

.. in little Withdean I'm sure both the football club and the athletics clubs are at times an annoyance to each other.

But, if the club were to makes moves to remove the Atheltics club the PR fall out would be horrendous ESPECIALLY as this country is going to be hosting an Oylympic games.

Imagine ?

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Think the phone in is dying on its feet.Same old boring farts calling in every week and Laurel and Hardy (harty and dtg)have to try and get some calls in
Harty youre comments yesterday amazed me,was not sure if you were joking or on drugs

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
kestrel said:
Think the phone in is dying on its feet.Same old boring farts calling in every week and Laurel and Hardy (harty and dtg)have to try and get some calls in
Harty youre comments yesterday amazed me,was not sure if you were joking or on drugs

I do really enjoy the phone in usually but yesterday it was just such an obvious and blatant attempt to stir up some controversy with the thing about the seats.

Understandable to an extent but it was so transparent and considering there were supposedly so many people that couldn't get tickets for the match it would have been nice they had dedicated the phone-in to post-match analysis by fans who did have tickets.

D

Deleted member 2719

kestrel said:

Totally agree i thought Harty had lost the plot talking such nonsense about moving the seats afew yards.
Surely he has to back track(or even no track!!) on that silly idea to regain credibility on this issue.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Mouldy Boots said:
Totally agree i thought Harty had lost the plot talking such nonsense about moving the seats afew yards.
Surely he has to back track(or even no track!!) on that silly idea to regain credibility on this issue.

He wasn't serious :rolleyes:

He was just trying to stir up a bit of activity on the phone in. I can understand that. The unfortunate thing is that he shouldn't have to considering we had just had 5000 fans watch us play West Ham in the FA Cup.

kestrel said:

I got my point across about the roof being more desirable and also condusive to atmosphere. There's always going to be some 'colour-commentary' or playful response to people...like the bloke in denial about Brighton & Hove's City status.
Whatever we are, it's pathetic that we have the remains of a dead pier scarring the seafront, and NO sports facility or stadium of any kind whatsoever.
Pathetic. And unless we get councilors that think differently, I suggest we keep reminding the existing ones what useless turds they really are.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
NMH said:
I got my point across about the roof being more desirable and also condusive to atmosphere. There's always going to be some 'colour-commentary' or playful response to people...like the bloke in denial about Brighton & Hove's City status.
Whatever we are, it's pathetic that we have the remains of a dead pier scarring the seafront, and NO sports facility or stadium of any kind whatsoever.
Pathetic. And unless we get councilors that think differently, I suggest we keep reminding the existing ones what useless turds they really are.

I've always thought that the support of local councilors and MPs was one of the key things that we lack on the stadium issue. Not wet weekends saying "woo we support Falmer" but ones that are willing to really shout about the need for a proper stadium in the City. The need for real sporting facilities in the City. And full backing for sport in the City.

We really need people that will put their bollocks on the block for the cause.

A bit like Anne de Vechi :lolol: Allegedly :lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

Rangdo said:
He wasn't serious :rolleyes:

He was just trying to stir up a bit of activity on the phone in. I can understand that. The unfortunate thing is that he shouldn't have to considering we had just had 5000 fans watch us play West Ham in the FA Cup.

Well he fooled me with his thespian performance!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
butchy said:
oh do be quiet please, you are one of the people on this board making it tedius to read...being in hudderfield has obviously rotted whatever brain you had before you moved into that cesspit.

Made me laugh:lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Mouldy Boots said:
Well he fooled me with his thespian performance!
:lolol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Tubthumper said:
Mickey Adams said Withdean helped us. MaGhee said it hindered us. Who am I to believe?

And no we should not move the seats onto the track and kick out the athletics clubs and schools who us it. It is a municipal athletics stadium and we should be doing everything we can to maintain such facilities not close them down.

And as for the argument that only a few people use it for athletics....people could ask why Brighton need a 20,000+ stadium when they only get gates of 5000 and have not had a gate of 20k for god knows how long.

people could ask why Brighton need a 20,000+ stadium when they only get gates of 5000 and have not had a gate of 20k for god knows how long.

What a load of old tripe.Swansea,Hull,Reading,Doncaster etc enough said

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we wanted to move the athletics track as temporary measure then the obvious place to put it is at Sussex University.. I am sure that they would welcome it and so would the 20 or so people who us it each week. Not sure how many excatly but I am sure that somebody will tell me its more than we get at a home game or similar rubbish.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Dunno if Harty was playing devils advocate but his statement is obviously not thought through. Assuming he realises other sports clubs use the ground?

Just as the local council do the bare minimum to support football they also do the bare minimum to support all grass roots, prospective sports talent. So moving the seats onto the track etc can not be an option.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tubthumper said:
Mickey Adams said Withdean helped us. MaGhee said it hindered us. Who am I to believe?

It helped us when we were in the bottom division as we were winning games, it was a fortress mainly due to Bobby Zamora and the crowd were vociferous. The team then struggles in a higher division and the noise disappears. We have won more league games on the road this season and it is not surprising, considering the team needs the crowd to lift them.

However, we have proved that we can make noise at Withdean (Leeds etc.) and some of the away fans have been very impressive. Perhaps we need another Argus noise campaign and a dodgy ref to help us on our way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rangdo said:
I do really enjoy the phone in usually but yesterday it was just such an obvious and blatant attempt to stir up some controversy with the thing about the seats.

Understandable to an extent but it was so transparent and considering there were supposedly so many people that couldn't get tickets for the match it would have been nice they had dedicated the phone-in to post-match analysis by fans who did have tickets.

To be fair, someone caller did suggest that one way to improve atmosphere at the Withdean was to move the stands nearer to the pitch! Harty then tried to develop this.

There is a big problem with how people percieve the Phone In.

When Simon Levinson did it, it was roundly slated on here as too boring and nicey nicey, and calls for harty to come back. Now harty is back people are suggesting that the phone in is too contraversial.....just what exactly do people want? A phone in run by the club, Paul Camllin and Budgie running it? Something sanitised where people are vetted before they come on? Only pro falmerites on,? Only anti-falmerites on?

For all those who moan and whinge, the phone in is governed by those who phone in. Yes we do put suggestions in and try to steer the debate, but if we just have people phoning in about say West ham tickets, then that is what people want to talk about. that is the problem.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If you are going to start moving seats about at Withdean we might aswell knock down the Sporsman, turn the pitch through 90 degrees and build a 30,000 seater stadium there. Job done.

Yoda

English & European
The only way I can see it being done is some how having the roll out seats you get at the basketball and have them stored under the stand, but that would be a no go straight away as it's on scaffold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here