Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Comments Re Withdean!

Yoda

English & European
If we kick the Athletics Clubs out and move the stands onto the track, the club will have to pay for the track to be resurfaced (although I can see them having to do that anyway) after we've left. You can buy a player for the price that costs.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
I don't know that the suggestion of seats on thr running track equates to using Withdean as an excuse, but surely any positive suggestions to improve the atmosphere should be taken on board and seriously evaluated before being summarily dismissed.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Why aren't we just allowed to stand on the running track........instant capacity increase, stand with your mates, atmosphere,............SORTED.

AFTER ALL.....Other clubs in this division still have terraces.???

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lord Bracknell said:
How many athletics clubs use Withdean?

Is it three?

I think there's two clubs that use it - Brighton & Hove AC and Phoenix AC. In reply to the original post, moving the athletics clubs to Lewes would never be accepted and should never be. As a member of Brighton & Hove AC, they are all very tolerant of BHAFC being at Withdean but as the athletic clubs been there for decades, I shouldn't think they'd be too happy about it!

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
I'll try agin with the image of what we need to get people to go to Withdean..

sealpeg7.jpg

... made out of canvas for those who say the south stand can't be covered.

:wave:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So do we spend the little money we have on players or a roof for someone elses stadium?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mickey Adams said Withdean helped us. MaGhee said it hindered us. Who am I to believe?

And no we should not move the seats onto the track and kick out the athletics clubs and schools who us it. It is a municipal athletics stadium and we should be doing everything we can to maintain such facilities not close them down.

And as for the argument that only a few people use it for athletics....people could ask why Brighton need a 20,000+ stadium when they only get gates of 5000 and have not had a gate of 20k for god knows how long.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we, the supporters, want a better atmosphere why not take responsibility for it outselves and sing?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This build a roof over the south stand argument..

.. all very well but is it actually a techinically a stand ? -

...or a temporary structure.

Can you build a roof over a temporary structure ?

In the case of MOVING the seats forward, surely that would involve completely rebuilding something at quite a great expense. You can't move the south stand - it sits against a bank doesn't it ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No, it isn't a bank as I've been in the nature reserve picking up litter at the end of the season (you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish the people on the back rows fling over the fence)

We wouldn't get planning permission for a roof.
We're still bracing ourselves for another legal battle with John Catt over actual staying at Withdean in the present conditions so if we start being hypocritical about the athletics clubs then we are sunk.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
No, it isn't a bank as I've been in the nature reserve picking up litter at the end of the season (you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish the people on the back rows fling over the fence)

We wouldn't get planning permission for a roof.
We're still bracing ourselves for another legal battle with John Catt over actual staying at Withdean in the present conditions so if we start being hypocritical about the athletics clubs then we are sunk.

Out of interest Yorkie - it is a sheer drop then ? I've always wondered what's beneath / behind

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. I'm think I'm right in thinking that it isn't simply a case of a roof over the south stand, it would be a case of building a brand new South Stand.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
Out of interest Yorkie - it is a sheer drop then ? I've always wondered what's beneath / behind

Yes and it's scaffolding.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
So is it literally a bank of mud behind the South Stand ? :ohmy: - or is it reinforced in any way ?

No the bank is further back and has trees and shrubs growing in it.
It was quite difficult scrambling down the bank to get to where the litter was at the bottom.
There is a fence but the scaffolding is all that holds the seats up.

Bromley shrimp said:
but surely any positive suggestions to improve the atmosphere should be taken on board and seriously evaluated before being summarily dismissed.

But is it a positive suggestion? I think it's pretty negative even considering driving fellow sporting community organisations into exile, we would be their Bill Archers :(

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
if we did move the stand onto the running track, we wouldnt be able to get to our seats :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here