Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty - patronising and pompous

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think we as a Div 1 club are incredibly lucky to have our own one hour phone in on the radio. Generally I think Harty does a good job, but he does a better job when he's talking about football and not trying to be funny. Yesterday he let himself down big time. Thank goodness it was a woman he insulted and not someone because of their race or sexuality otherwise he would be out of a job this morning. I think his researchers let him down, surely they should be filtering out some of the idiots and bores. If that means there aren't enough decent callers to fill a full hour then perhaps the format or timing of the program needs to be looked at.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
andybaha said:
I think we as a Div 1 club are incredibly lucky to have our own one hour phone in on the radio. Generally I think Harty does a good job, but he does a better job when he's talking about football and not trying to be funny. Yesterday he let himself down big time. Thank goodness it was a woman he insulted and not someone because of their race or sexuality otherwise he would be out of a job this morning. I think his researchers let him down, surely they should be filtering out some of the idiots and bores. If that means there aren't enough decent callers to fill a full hour then perhaps the format or timing of the program needs to be looked at.

Yes exactly right. We are so lucky. If your a london club in the lower divisions the most your get is 5 minutes.

I love the phone in and hope it stays.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I like the phone in - always have. Its a great, fun, interesting and easy way to discuss things that matter to us as Brighton fans. Its placement right after the game to me implies that it should be to discuss the game thats just been (or is that illogical? :lol: ) so often I do question Harty's choice of topic, and sometimes he annoys me when he cuts people off for a strange point of view, but hey ho...if it matter that much then call up and say "Hey Harty can we discuss the game please?"

Then it will truly be the fans phone in - if you want to moan about it - call him and tell him why...

Otherwise shut up ;) :lol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
tedebear said:

Then it will truly be the fans phone in - if you want to moan about it - call him and tell him why...

I've told him to his face.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
tedebear said:
I like the phone in - always have. Its a great, fun, interesting and easy way to discuss things that matter to us as Brighton fans. Its placement right after the game to me implies that it should be to discuss the game thats just been (or is that illogical? :lol: ) so often I do question Harty's choice of topic, and sometimes he annoys me when he cuts people off for a strange point of view, but hey ho...if it matter that much then call up and say "Hey Harty can we discuss the game please?"

But that's what Sue did.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yorkie said:
I've told him to his face.

Even better! (that wasn't aimed at you btw - just the usual week in week out moaners who can't be bothered seeking Harty out to tell him in person, like you have, or on the phone, but will gladly moan on here)!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
tedebear said:
I'm not commenting on that issue yesterday - just the week in week out moaning about the call in really...

How else do we change what quite a few are unhappy about?

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
tedebear said:

I'm as guilty as the next person. I enjoy the phone in and get frustrated by the idiots and bores but have never phoned in myself. Who knows perhaps I'm one of those myself. If enough people phone in it's up to the researcher to filter out the irrelavent callers. So I guess the message is to everyone - get calling.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yorkie said:
How else do we change what quite a few are unhappy about?

Good question - my problem is though - is it the general population of fans that are unhappy or just the NSC/Forum people? also is it a problem with Harty or a problem with his topcis?

If its just the topics, then a possible solution could be a thread on here (or brighton fans or whereever) where a list of topics could be suggested throughout the week, and voted on by us? Then the game could be discussed and also the fans voted topic.

If its Harty thats the problem - then I guess contacting the BBC to see what alternatives we have?

Last edited:

There are ALWAYS people who are not going to like or approve of any phone-in, radio 'magazine' or general chat.

However, people who don't agree with what's been said can call in and give their viewpoints, and people who just don't like a phone-in whatsoever can simply turn the dial to something else!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
People can call in but then get cut off because the presenter doesn't agree/like what they are saying and then take the mickey out them? No wonder some fans don't want to ring up again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the reason he did it was because that Sue appearred to be acting like 'an old school mam' I could just picture her saying to her friends I will phone up and show him.

Continual sniping at him will eventually bring about a change of presenter to one that the club want to use as a mouthpiece for their PR.

Is that is what everybody wants?

As he says you set the agenda if there is something you want to talk about phone in. Having said that I phoned in with the answer to his query when was the last time a Ward featured as the winning goal scorer but the studio did not come back to me, they usually do, so I can only presume that there were a lot of calls yesterday. That being the case he has achieved his aim.

Get off of his and DTG back. Anybody who was offended by what was said yesterday must lead a sad sheltered life and needs to get a grip of life and reality.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yorkie said:
People can call in but then get cut off because the presenter doesn't agree/like what they are saying and then take the mickey out them? No wonder some fans don't want to ring up again.

Yes - I agree that is exceptionally annoying! I do hope thats what you mentioned to him!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
tedebear said:
Yes - I agree that is exceptionally annoying! I do hope thats what you mentioned to him!!

No I had a go at him about him sniping at people on Nsc. He complained that people used pseudonyms but used them himself. He has also posted some pretty nasty stuff here as well calling Tom Hark an Archer supporter.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Putting my twopwnnyworth in again....Ian is a very strong personality and Yes, as Ros says he likes to be the "cheeky chappy". What happened with Sue was as far as I can recall. she made a point about him being overtly sexist...bikini's etc and then moved on to talk about the game....which was correct. What the issue was that following on from the savaging Ian received after the Orient game and also Kaney/Leroy shite and also the "circus music man"issues, was that in the background there was laughing and giggling. That was more the issue, ie was this a genuine call or someone trying a wind up.

Now wrongly or rightly, Harty cut her off and some comments were made. In hinesight, those were inappropriate and he apologised.

With regards to calls about the game, I would put it another way....where were they all? Of the calls we had, there were precious few about the game....I seem to recall having to try and bring in the football to two callers...that is what I try and do every week, which those who read this will hopefully see.

I am not really sure what people want here....if we do a 606 type show, where you get a minute and then you are off, or a talksport where you get 5 minutes and then the " experts " talk for 15.

You tell Harty and if you feel so inclined tell the BBC. Its your show

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dave the Gaffer said:

I am not really sure what people want here....

Agree Dave, what annoys me is that there are points in the show when you're obviously trying to reel in callers but none are forthcoming....People on here say I'm not calling in as I'll get cut off, but if they really felt that bad about it - they should call!! Id' love to call in but my contribution wouldn't really be of any significant intellectual standards :lol:

Just my thoughts anyhow...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
No I had a go at him about him sniping at people on Nsc. He complained that people used pseudonyms but used them himself. He has also posted some pretty nasty stuff here as well calling Tom Hark an Archer supporter.

To be fair again, he did apologise for that. Not quite sure why he said it in the first place, but he did apologise.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What happened after the Orient game? What was this 'savaging' ?

(Note: I don't listen to the phone-in due to the whole Premium TV/Non-Microsoft technology shambles, and I've hardly been on NSC all week)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here