Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty - patronising and pompous

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
I usually really like listening to Ian Hart's programme on the radio, but I really thought today's programme was simply dreadful. For once this season I really wanted to hear about the match and relive it again ........and instead all we got was a lot of tiresome and predictable innuendo about 'horns' which was quite embarrassingly bad after a while. Then, when a lady (Sue) phoned in to make the point that maybe it would be nice to talk about the match she got a lot of sexist jibes about knitting and WI meetings that nobody has found funny since the 1970's. I felt really sorry for her being subjected to that. For the first time I can remember I switched off the radio before the end of the show.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
The-Libertine said:
I usually really like listening to Ian Hart's programme on the radio, but I really thought today's programme was simply dreadful. For once this season I really wanted to hear about the match and relive it again ........and instead all we got was a lot of tiresome and predictable innuendo about 'horns' which was quite embarrassingly bad after a while. Then, when a lady (Sue) phoned in to make the point that maybe it would be nice to talk about the match she got a lot of sexist jibes about knitting and WI meetings that nobody has found funny since the 1970's. I felt really sorry for her being subjected to that. For the first time I can remember I switched off the radio before the end of the show.

I couldn't agree more. The sheer arrogance of the man was breathtaking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have a rare Saturday of celebration having won at home and beaten a top 3 side and yet people on here still find time to moan.

Don't you just love NSC :clap:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Les Biehn said:
If I were you BAG I would ignore bhanutz, he's what I like to call a rogue liberal. Basically he is left wing but has gone aggressively native for some reason, imagine Colonel Kurtz combined with LI and then bashed around the head a few times to bring the IQ level down.

you are way off the mark sunshine!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
Is this true Yorkie? :lolol:

Nope. :lolol:
I don't listen any more and wouldn't be bothered if we didn't have a phone in. I don't think it helps the club or fans to be honest. The internet is better nowadays for discussing things.
Non football fans in Sussex must wonder sometimes..

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was poor yesterday but it can only be as good as the people that phone in. Most fans that would have something worth contributing are either in the pub or on their way home.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why does it have to be directly after the match? The interviews with players and managers can be part of the commentary but why not have a phone in on Sunday morning? A sports special at 9am for example?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The amount of views to that thread and no replies might tell you something.

Yorkie said:
Nope. :lolol:
I don't listen any more and wouldn't be bothered if we didn't have a phone in. I don't think it helps the club or fans to be honest. The internet is better nowadays for discussing things.
Non football fans in Sussex must wonder sometimes..

Sorry to disagree Yorkie.

Having started this thread the point is that lots of fans do enjoy the phone in, particularly after a great win like yesterday. It was so frustrating to hear so much drivel and then have the show host patronise the most relevant caller. To cut her off and then take more drivel added insult to injury.

When people call in you are asked what you are calling about and priority should be given to those that want to talk about the football. There was so much to talk about yesterday and for whatever reasons the show was very poor.

It doesn't help either when a caller is interupted within a few seconds for the host to move the conversation in the direction they want.

Bottom line - the show is a good idea but the presenters need to work harder at providing more concise and interesting content.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Basically, yes the phone in is a good idea but it can be a completely bad idea if used for mischief or badly presented therefore counter productive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair to Harty, a complaint that used to be aimed at him was that he let mumpties drone on at length about nothing in particular without cutting them short. Tho sounds like yesterday he went a bit too far in the other direction.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Icy Gull said:
We have a rare Saturday of celebration having won at home and beaten a top 3 side and yet people on here still find time to moan.

Don't you just love NSC :clap:
Yes, I do, very much - because, in that respect, it offers a a far, far better reflection of at least this one fan's feelings after a fantastic win like that than the 10-15 minutes of self-obsession about that programme editorial and clunky gags about horns that I endured of the phone-in after the game. So I flicked onto Radio 2...which didn't have much about the fact that we'd just beaten Nottingham Forest either but at least had some decent music. But I didn't quite think they quite had the same agenda as the, er, Albion Fans Phone-in...pisspoor. My solution is easy: it just needs MORE DAVE, simple.

Ian, I can't obviously stop you PMing me again as you did when I've had a slight moan about your show in the past but I'll either just bin it or post it on here, FYI.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
bhanutz said:
you are way off the mark sunshine!

I think someones been watching to much Life on Mars. So do us why your so aggressive then bhanutz?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Trigger said:
Oh good idea, let's force Harty out and get a club yes man in. :yawn:

Dave isn't a club man and the few phone ins I have heard since he started have improved it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trigger said:
Oh good idea, let's force Harty out and get a club yes man in. :yawn:
Ah, nice - support from him another former protestor who is now seemingly unable to tell a decent chairman from a bad one. I imagine that, when he goes (...) Dave will get the job - he certainly should. I wouldn't describe him as a "yes man", personally.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...but at least it's not as bad as the interminable 606 and its endless "we were cheated by the referee" moans and groans.

However I did wonder if somebody had been drinking during the game for the first ten minutes before I had to go and do something more interesting.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
Dave isn't a club man and the few phone ins I have heard since he started have improved it.
I'm not on about Dave, I haven't actually read this thread so don't know who people are suggesting take over but I can imagine it's full of harty slating from the same old faces/fingers.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here