Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart and Mayo - should we have signed them?

Who deserved a contract?

• Both of them.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • Neither of them.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Hart.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • Mayo.

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Agree it's not a bad thing.

What other positions do you think we need more cover in then?

Centre forward, unless Dixon turns out to be quite good.

Centre midfield? All depends whether the Loftmeister can be turned into our creative force!

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I bet Dean Wilkins is laughing his socks off. He clears a load of players who he feels are not up to getting us into the play-offs next season, gets the sack and the resurrected messiah Mickey Adams brings them back.

In my opinion both of them should have gone before the start of last season. I think they have both been fantastic servants to the club and I would love to watch them play next season, I just wish it was for Lewes and not the Albion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree with both getting a contract if we can afford it, whch we obviously can. It does have another good point in that it will stop the continual will they wont they talk and allow us to get on with winning the division.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
If Mayo is only a squad player then Micky PLEASE give Richards the number 3 shirt.

I'd keep Mayo as we need cover (anyone know how Adam Green did there last night) but not Hart.

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
I think Mayo and Hart are excellent squad players who deserve to be given contracts for the way they have acted in this close season.

I can see both of them thriving under Mickey again and playing a major part in whatever next season brings.

I agree that there is no room for sentiment in football however i also feel that we as a club are slightly different from most because of our recent history.

Finally anyone, and im guessing its not many on here, who made the long haul up to Gillingham and saw the two of them run themselves in to the ground week in week out despite being surrounded by some of the worst footballers to have graced the professional game can not begrudge them an extended stay!...... Good times!

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
No problem with retaining them if that's what Micky feels we need. However please god not let it be at the expense of the other signings Micky mentioned a while back. It's now getting late in the day to be adding to our squad as anyone coming in now will have already missed a large part of pre-season and will need time to gel with the rest of the squad.

Stumpy Tim

I opted for Mayo. We do not have a permanent left-back at the club and I am happy for him to be an understudy to Richards. He was frozen out for much of the last two seasons, but came in and did a decent job whenever called upon.

As much as I like Hart, I am not sure what he can offer us. Whether his form dipped under Wilkins or whether he just can't cut it anymore remains to be seen. I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel he is nowhere near the player he used to be.

Either way, it is not the end of the world and I am pleased for them both.

I agree 100%. Both will do a good job when called upon, but a lack of cover for Richards meant Mayo had to be kept. One of Rents, Mayo or Cobbs had to stay. Adams knows Mayo, and Wilkins let the other two go

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In terms of value for money and the fact that we know what we are getting I say YAY

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
How many people posting here have spent anywhere near as much time as Adams has recently watching both of them in training?

:shootself

He's the boss, gets paid the big bucks to make the decisions - lets wait and see...

You are missing the point that many on NSC know much better than MA or DK - despite not being football managers or football club directors, and despite knowing next to nothing about what goes on in training or behind the scenes at the club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You are missing the point that many on NSC know much better than MA or DK - despite not being football managers or football club directors, and despite knowing next to nothing about what goes on in training or behind the scenes at the club.

........and many of them have copies of Championship Manager too, and spend an inverse amount of time on it to the time they spend with their girlfriends/partners/inflatable dolls.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just what I was saying to someone earlier tonight. I'm convinced that Wilkins is sitting at home tonight absolutely pissing himself with laughter at our club. The reaction next season towards chairman and manager, I suspect, will not be great if we fail to improve on last seasons seventh place. If we do it with these two in the team/squad, it'll be even worse.

Are you seriously saying that you think that Dean Wilkins is sitting at home laughing at what is happening at the Albion? Odd one - this has been one of the most exciting pre-seasons I've known - it bodes well for the season; and if Mickey Adams thinks we need Mayo and Hart as (relatively cheap) cover in the squad, I don't see that as a problem... as has been pointed out (for those who have forgotten), Mickey is a professional football manager, with a number of year's experience... he may just know what he is doing!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wilkins did Adams a huge favour releasing these two, as it meant all the power was with the club when it came to negotiating new reduced contracts for their returns.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It's good to have cover in both the areas they play and they also provide competition for places which is always a good thing. I can't believe some of the over reactions about this.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sort of fence on Mayo as he will now pile the pounds on in the reserves and won't be as fit as possible if/when we need him for cover.

Hart just seems to give a bit more effort and even though he has no "proper" position he can cover several pretty well.

That at best is a bold statement.

At worst it is fairly insulting to the player.

Has an element of attempting to pass your opinion off as fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here