Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart and Mayo - should we have signed them?

Who deserved a contract?

• Both of them.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • Neither of them.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Hart.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • Mayo.

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How many other sides in League 1 would have signed Hart or Mayo given the chance? None I suspect, which speaks volumes IMHO.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Last season Hart came in and played a very decent game at Forest, and Mayo made a number of good performances towards the end of the season. Thats why they've been signed, as back up who will put everything into every chance they get. Its not a backward step and no ones saying its a forward step either.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Last season Hart came in and played a very decent game at Forest, and Mayo made a number of good performances towards the end of the season. Thats why they've been signed, as back up who will put everything into every chance they get. Its not a backward step and no ones saying its a forward step either.

So if it's not a backward step or a forward step arguably it wasn't worth doing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Simple answer. Yes.

Think Mayo could easily stand in if Richards gets injured (or suspended). Like others I am less sure about Hart's best position nowadays but I suspect he would be towards the front of the queue for wide midfield if Cox were out for any reason

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I am sort of fence on Mayo but i trust Mickys decision. Out of interest what is your view?

Why's that? I am STAGGERED that more people think 'only Hart' should be offered a contract than 'only Mayo'. Mayo looks solid for a decent chunk of games last season, and had a FIXED position that we have virtually NO cover for. 1 injury to Richards, and Mayo comes in, for sure.

Although i'm pleased we're keeping Hart, as pointed above, he doesn't really have a proper position, and is only likely to figure if we get a "glut of injuries". I'd have thought people would be less impressed with the signing of him. Having said that, I LOVE his commitment and 100% performances and am happy with him for that reason...but i suspect his past popularity is what sees him winning that poll.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Why's that? I am STAGGERED that more people think 'only Hart' should be offered a contract than 'only Mayo'. Mayo looks solid for a decent chunk of games last season, and had a FIXED position that we have virtually NO cover for. 1 injury to Richards, and Mayo comes in, for sure.

Although i'm pleased we're keeping Hart, as pointed above, he doesn't really have a proper position, and is only likely to figure if we get a "glut of injuries". I'd have thought people would be less impressed with the signing of him. Having said that, I LOVE his commitment and 100% performances and am happy with him for that reason...but i suspect his past popularity is what sees him winning that poll.

Sort of fence on Mayo as he will now pile the pounds on in the reserves and won't be as fit as possible if/when we need him for cover.

Hart just seems to give a bit more effort and even though he has no "proper" position he can cover several pretty well.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Sort of fence on Mayo as he will now pile the pounds on in the reserves and won't be as fit as possible if/when we need him for cover.

Hart just seems to give a bit more effort and even though he has no "proper" position he can cover several pretty well.

Mayo will pile on the pounds in the reserves? Is that the best you can do?
He'll be training every day, and I would bet working his arse off in order to impress Adams and get into the team. He'll also be playing semi-regular reserve team football. How the hell is that going to cause him to pile ON the pounds? Consider also the fact that he's spent the past 2 years in the reserves more than he has in the first XI. It's not as if he's ballooned (even though some would like to believe he has!)

As for saying 'effort' is the key - Hart is a midfielder. In defence, you can't be seen to be caning it all over the park, or you will cause more problems for your team than the opposition!

Oh well, each to their own - it's still not a bad thing as far as we're concerned, and that's the main thing. :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here