Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart and Mayo - should we have signed them?

Who deserved a contract?

• Both of them.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • Neither of them.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Hart.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • Mayo.

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If no decision had been reached when Adams took over then I could have lived with this new deal.

But as they had been released then in my opinion we should have moved on. It makes Dick Knight look very foolish as surely he would have been in agreement with Wilkins as to the release list.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Wilkins made the right decision IMHO. It's a shame that we have taken this backwards step but I guess they both add something to the squad. I really hope that this is a wake up call to Mayo and Hart, they train like maniacs and contribute more this season than they have ofr the past few.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The people who seem to suggest Hart is good for cover are forgetting we don't need cover in ANY of the positions he plays in anymore...

Mayo I can forgive if it is a short-term deal on low wages.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I opted for Mayo. We do not have a permanent left-back at the club and I am happy for him to be an understudy to Richards. He was frozen out for much of the last two seasons, but came in and did a decent job whenever called upon.

As much as I like Hart, I am not sure what he can offer us. Whether his form dipped under Wilkins or whether he just can't cut it anymore remains to be seen. I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel he is nowhere near the player he used to be.

Either way, it is not the end of the world and I am pleased for them both.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I wasn`t too bothered when they were released, but looking at the squad now we are short of cover at left back and right side of midfield so giving them a year on reduced terms is no big deal.
I disagree with the comment that we are ok on the right with Cox,Robinson and McLeod.
Surely McLeod will start on the left with Cox on the right leaving Robinson as the only cover on either flank.
Mayo is more than adequate cover for Richards.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Both. I like singing 'Oh Gary Hart' for one; & The Ginger Prince has had his haemorrhoids sorted close season, allegedly. :thumbsup:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
We have a really decent looking first team squad shaping up, but let's face it - we are going to get injuries and because of that we need experienced cover, not just youngsters still learning the game.

Both Harty and Kerry can play in a number of positions, and signing them on reduced deals shows the club isn't just frittering money away. They are useful players to have available *for when we need them*. I'm confident we'll look back at the end of the season and see that the decision to give them 1-year deals has proved its worth.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Until we have as many injuries as we had last season ???

As I said elsewhere, Mayo I can understand but where is Hart covering?

He played right back last season. Now we have Whing, El Abd and Virgo.

Right midfield? I don't remember the last time Hart was preferred to anyone there. Surely Cox and Robinson are above him. Probably Fraser as well and Chamberlain could fill in for a game if needed and Adams even played Dixon at right midfield for part of the game against Worthing.

Up front? Not going to dislodge Murray or Forster and Virgo must be next up with the likes of Robinson, Gargan, Dixon and Gatting all as good if not better than Hart.

That is not even taking into account the loan signings we could get in or a change of formation to 3 5 2 which is more of an option this season.

Er..... if Mickey Adams made the decision then it's good enough for me, although I doubt either will play any significant part, but you never know. We need squad players with experience, just in case, and I'm sure neither are on hige wages.

And if you think DK made the decision over MA's head then you don't know MA.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
How many people posting here have spent anywhere near as much time as Adams has recently watching both of them in training?

:shootself

He's the boss, gets paid the big bucks to make the decisions - lets wait and see...

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Harty yes being his testimonial year i think thats a good enough reason to keep him seeming as he has given 10years service he deserves recognition.

Mayo has been solid during the pre season when ive seen him play and also gives us another option in the back four

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't see how it is a backward step, it's just not a step forward.

I don't think either will break into 11 barely at all so yes it is a waste of money but isn't going to affect how the team do over the season...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here