Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harley and Sparrow

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No he wasn't, not particularly, most of his passes found a team mate. Its his work rate that was the problem today.

Maybe I'm being unfair then but I just have a horrible memory of that cross field ball from the halfway line on the first half that never even came close to reaching a player.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Maybe I'm being unfair then but I just have a horrible memory of that cross field ball from the halfway line on the first half that never even came close to reaching a player.

No there was a similar one in the second half when he picked out a ball boy impressively.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have tried to be objective in my appraisal of him this season, maybe, just maybe, if Gus had a stronger midfield player than Sparrow, Harley might shine. If there was a player willing to give 100% for the stripes in his place today, it might have made a difference.

Fair enough but the Millwall pen is only the icing on he cake imo. I just echo most of what others have said here ... not involved, no energy, won't tackle, gives away too much, pedestrian. I have hardly ever criticised an Albion player bar the odd poor performance but this fella ranks amongst the worst I've seen in over 20 years. How BG and a few others can say he's better than crap is bewildering and suggesting it's just peeps jumping on a bandwagon is clutching at straws I reckon

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Fair enough but the Millwall pen is only the icing on he cake imo. I just echo most of what others have said here ... not involved, no energy, won't tackle, gives away too much, pedestrian. I have hardly ever criticised an Albion player bar the odd poor performance but this fella ranks amongst the worst I've seen in over 20 years. How BG and a few others can say he's better than crap is bewildering and suggesting it's just peeps jumping on a bandwagon is clutching at straws I reckon

Astute Rugrat. Thing is, I see a lot of Harley in my own play, I can only say it how I see & play!

This is blatantly untrue! IMHO

Harley - bottler who isnt up for playing for brighton. You can see from his body language he doesnt give a flying f++k.
Sparrow - Definitely not aggressive, doesnt really offer us anything.

If you cannot see Harley is improving then you are an idiot. For instance his work rate and tackling has improved greatly. Game by game he is getting better. How can you say Sparrow is not "aggresive". Every game he puts in tackles and makes attacking runs. I am sick of this critiscism of the players. Bridcutt, a marvelous player, has been poor recently and continually gave the ball away today. He has a bad day and as it should be people move on. ANY other of the central midfielders get it in the neck. The way Gus wants them to play dictates they play a riskier game and this gets them un-called for stick.

On todays evidence?

On todays evidence, IN THE FIRST HALF, he broke up play ( never used to do that) and played with more energy and fluency.

Unfortunatley people have obviously just watched him in the 2nd half were he did none of the above and PONCED out of 3 challenges. He IS improving and anybody who will not aknowledge that is stubborn.

I might go and start a thread right now on how Gordon Greer cannot win headers!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On todays evidence, IN THE FIRST HALF, he broke up play ( never used to do that) and played with more energy and fluency.

Unfortunatley people have obviously just watched him in the 2nd half were he did none of the above and PONCED out of 3 challenges. He IS improving and anybody who will not aknowledge that is stubborn.

We have improved in this area with El Abd coming back.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If you cannot see Harley is improving then you are an idiot. For instance his work rate and tackling has improved greatly. Game by game he is getting better. How can you say Sparrow is not "aggresive". Every game he puts in tackles and makes attacking runs. I am sick of this critiscism of the players. Bridcutt, a marvelous player, has been poor recently and continually gave the ball away today. He has a bad day and as it should be people move on. ANY other of the central midfielders get it in the neck. The way Gus wants them to play dictates they play a riskier game and this gets them un-called for stick.

i wouldnt say i was an idiot but im preety sure that 95% of posters here will disgree with your comments. lets see what people think!!!!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

I think we could probably go round in circles with Harley, you make good points on GG, both him and Dunk struggled with Le Fondre & Church today. The difference being, Dunk & GG have been rocks this season, not so Harley.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

so if we dont agree with your views then we are wrong?????

i wouldnt say i was an idiot but im preety sure that 95% of posters here will disgree with your comments. lets see what people think!!!!!

95%? You are being a cretenous FOOL. If you CANNOT see he is improving you are an idiot? I saw him play at Watford and thought "meh he can take a good free kick but what a light weight". He quite clearly has improved! Just because he is an unconventional footballer who appears (like a certain former no.17 hence the irony of Gu's number choice) to "not bladdy care for the stripes" doesnt mean he deserves this critiscism. He is a very good footballer who given time will CONTINUE to improve.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
95%? You are being a cretenous FOUL. If you CANNOT see he is improving you are an idiot? I saw him play at Watford and thought "meh he can take a good free kick but what a light weight". He quite clearly has improved! Just because he is an unconventional footballer who appears (like a certain former no.17 hence the irony of Gu's number choice) to "not bladdy care for the stripes" doesnt mean he deserves this critiscism. He is a very good footballer who given time will CONTINUE to improve.

Do you mean a cretenous FOOL?

so if we dont agree with your views then we are wrong?????

Well if my opinions conflict with others, in this case yours, then I am entitled to beleive they are wrong. You are being stubborn in the sense that quite clearly people are picking up on his dire second half and ignoring the good all round performance he put in in the first.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Yes. Yes I do.

I have stated in previous posts that I have stuck up for him in previous games and I like some of what he does but we do not have the luxury of a midfielder who shirks 3 tackles and who goes missing when players are looking for someone to pass to. We just dont.

If he wants to buck his ideas up pronto then I will reconsider my extremist (?) views.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
95%? You are being a cretenous FOOL. If you CANNOT see he is improving you are an idiot? I saw him play at Watford and thought "meh he can take a good free kick but what a light weight". He quite clearly has improved! Just because he is an unconventional footballer who appears (like a certain former no.17 hence the irony of Gu's number choice) to "not bladdy care for the stripes" doesnt mean he deserves this critiscism. He is a very good footballer who given time will CONTINUE to improve.

not being a fool at all. just look aorund at the other threads on the forum and you WILL see that harleys not exactly the fans favourite!!! Take your blinkers off and look. player ratings for one suggest most think hes not improving as you quite clearly think he is.

I have stated in previous posts that I have stuck up for him in previous games and I like some of what he does but we do not have the luxury of a midfielder who shirks 3 tackles and who goes missing when players are looking for someone to pass to. We just dont.

If he wants to buck his ideas up pronto then I will reconsider my extremist (?) views.

Dont worry we have Gary Dicker to do that :thumbsup:

not being a fool at all. just look aorund at the other threads on the forum and you WILL see that harleys not exactly the fans favourite!!! Take your blinkers off and look. player ratings for one suggest most think hes not improving as you quite clearly think he is.

I will look round the threads on the forum and conclude that people clicking a button on "yes" or "no" that were not even at the game cannot possibly judge whether he is improving or not. Funny because speaking to a lot of NSC posters who were at the game today think he has been improving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here