Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hard Old Schools

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
....continues to dry eyes after posting re the Goldstone,but noticed several Hove Grammar Old Boys were posting.

Now,this was a Hard School.

I was there when the 6th formers had their privileges cut off!

When Bouncer ruled,and Tabrett beat modern pop stars by diving off the stage during assembly.

When one of the teachers was shot by a pupil....only an air gun job,but he meant well.

Wimps from other schools,or fellow downtrodden Hove Grammarians,where are you?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
............... well I used to dread playing Patcham Fawcett away.

And knowing some of the lads who went to Fitzherbert - I am afraid they would have laughed in the face of Hove Grammar.

Big Rob

Nov 2, 2005
Cardinal Newman, Battered Blatch mill, hove park school, and the rest, never defeated! not untill i got sacked as teacher there :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I played rugby against Hove Park School and they were brutal. Biting, scratching, punching in the scrums/rucks/mauls. Stamping galore. There ref was adjudicating so they got away with it. I did land an elbow though on one guy who punched me.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If you're talking about hard schools there is one that should always top the list - Stanley Deason.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember an athletics meeting at Withdean where a kid in our team won all his races...and encountered a couple of Fawcett lads in the changing rooms armed with some running spikes - nasty stuff.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
I went to Newman and Fitzherbert.

Scariest Sunday morning I ever had was the Rugby Cup final vs Longhill - they really WERE up for it. Spent most of second half in a complete daze after being dumped to the ground for the umpteenth time. Not a good day to be playing full back.

Never enjoyed footie at Fawcett - though that was mainly 'cause their pitch appeared to be placed in a hurricane zone on top of the hill.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Squiggsy said:
I went to Newman and Fitzherbert.

Scariest Sunday morning I ever had was the Rugby Cup final vs Longhill - they really WERE up for it. Spent most of second half in a complete daze after being dumped to the ground for the umpteenth time. Not a good day to be playing full back.

Never enjoyed footie at Fawcett - though that was mainly 'cause their pitch appeared to be placed in a hurricane zone on top of the hill.

When were you at Newman?

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I didn't go to school in Brighton And Hove But did play football against (& win against) most of the Brighton Schools. And The team i dreaded was Blatchington Mill, Their centre halfs were straight from a young offenders institute.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Redhead said:
I didn't go to school in Brighton And Hove But did play football against (& win against) most of the Brighton Schools. And The team i dreaded was Blatchington Mill, Their centre halfs were straight from a young offenders institute.

....................and of course Blatch Mill was a direct descendent of Hove Grammar (Boys).The latter feared no one..........well,Hove Grammar (Girls) ,obviously.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
oakmeeds:)

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
withdeanwombat said:
....................and of course Blatch Mill was a direct descendent of Hove Grammar (Boys).The latter feared no one..........well,Hove Grammar (Girls) ,obviously.

I didn't know that :dunce:

In which case in the late ninties early noughties Blatch Mill aka Hove Grammar was the Brighton School feared most by Seaford Head, that said couldn't play football for toffee!!! :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here