Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hard Old Schools

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brovian said:
Percy when were you at Boundstone? The toilets were indeed blown up by a fertiliser bomb in about 1971 - created and planted by the legendary John Ridings.

DKM - I know what you mean about thugs on the touchline. when I was 12 I was playing away for Boundstone against a Catholic school - Blessed Robert Southwell (don't know if it still exists). I was playing left-hand side of midfield, basically a left-winger and the older boys who were watching on the touchline kept coming on and trippng me up, pulling my shirt and punching and kicking me when I was taking throw-ins. I tried to tell the ref what was happening ("Sir, sir, those boys keep attacking me!") but he just told me to get on with the game!

Copycat. It was an earlier fertilser bomb. Mid sixties. Explosions did not have such a bad press back then!

There was no specific rules about blowing up part of the school. But most right minded children would not do such a thing. Bomb making and explosions were not rife. I thought it was a one-off occurrence, but they could have been intermittent.

Last edited:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
dave the gaffer said:
Falmer was well hard

we had westlaine, the grammer school and Stanmer ( Open borstall for the Coldean boys)

I remember days when the "boys " used to meet up in stanmer park, make the journey over to patcham fawcett and RUN EM!!!!!

I went to Westlain Grammar 69-74 It became Falmer the year i left, the boys fron Stanmer (which was joined on to Westlain)
were well 'ard most of them lived in Moulsecoombe or Coldean.

The running battles between them and Whitehawk (later to become Stanley Deason) were horrendous at times.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Went to Steyning Grammar, sounds tame in comparison to some of the stories above, although there was the odd scuffle at the end of the summer term, usually between those who had gone to Rydon Intermediate and those who had been at Church Street. We didn't have any other schools in the area to be rivals with or fight against, mid-Sussex is far too civilised. (Awaits serious abuse and hopes for a bit of support from anyone else who grew up in that area)

Oct 25, 2003
i remember a big fight between blatch and hove park, i think they were mostly the lower kids

about 200 of them came round to corner of the entrance of the west wing at blatch

me and my mates thought "f*** this" and went to burger king instead

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Scotty M said:
:lolol:

with your farm

Yeah it did always stink of shit. Notreally sure what purpose that served other than for the 6 or so young farmers who used to come to lessons smelling of shit.

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Perry Milkins said:
You are obviously too young to remember the time we upset BrightonHove and Sussex Grammar.. it got coverage in the ASrgus and South Today!!

Remember it well, didn't get involved myself, not sure about El Pres.

The rumour our side was that one of the nuns got hit by a brick.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Gully said:
Went to Steyning Grammar, sounds tame in comparison to some of the stories above, although there was the odd scuffle at the end of the summer term, usually between those who had gone to Rydon Intermediate and those who had been at Church Street. We didn't have any other schools in the area to be rivals with or fight against, mid-Sussex is far too civilised. (Awaits serious abuse and hopes for a bit of support from anyone else who grew up in that area)

TOFF
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
fatboy said:
Oathall Community College!

Most of the kiddies I have known from Oathall were much more decent chaps than I ever met from Oakmeeds, St.Pauls and Warden Park. God, Warden Park, what a bunch of shit heads.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gwylan said:
I remember an athletics meeting at Withdean where a kid in our team won all his races...and encountered a couple of Fawcett lads in the changing rooms armed with some running spikes - nasty stuff.

not a future Olympic champion was it?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Most of the kiddies I have known from Oathall were much more decent chaps than I ever met from Oakmeeds, St.Pauls and Warden Park. God, Warden Park, what a bunch of shit heads.

agreed - apart from the bit about oakmeeds. but that is because they are all middle classes from posh bits of haywards heath and inbred villages like lindfield and horsted keynes:)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Scotty M said:
agreed - apart from the bit about oakmeeds. but that is because they are all middle classes from posh bits of haywards heath and inbred villages like lindfield and horsted keynes:)

Did you go to Oakmeeds? It is a bit of a dive you have to admit.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Portslade Community College... not ashamed to say I loved it!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Did you go to Oakmeeds? It is a bit of a dive you have to admit.

yeah - it got most of its reputation from years ago, but now apart from the odd fire in the toilets and odd teacher getting hit, it is perfectly good. the trouble is most towns the size of burgess hill have two secondary schools so that the bad ones are spread across the two. burgess hill only had one, so they all ended up in the same place

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Hard Old Schools

On the Left Wing said:

Hove County Grammar was a hard school with ritual canings and detentions. I remember a fair haired lad in our first year being the first one caned in that year for forgetting his homework and mildly cheeking the teacher - who were all male (except for a French teacher) and wore black gowns

We did have the cane but I don't remember anyone actually receiving it. The headmistress was Miss Brown who was a role model for Maggie Thatcher (even looked like her) and we were all too terrified to disobey.
I was always in detention.
There weren't any male teachers but they did all wear black gowns. At the end of term assemblies the mortar boards would be worn with the university stoles as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here