Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hard Old Schools

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Scotty M said:

Well known shit hole. I went to Downlands, it was all terribly middle class. I think we even had a homosexual in my year.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was at Cardinal Newman from 1978 to 1984. I wouldn't say that it was a hard school, but there were some right nutters who did go there.

Ben Gobi (deceased) being one of them

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We played Fawcett away once. We went into the changing rooms, clothes on the hooks - nervous laughter all round. When in walked this other team - picked our stuff off the hooks and chucked it on the floor in the centre of the room – and just looked at us all.

It was the Fitzherbert rugby team – also due to play Fawcett. Fortunately I went to primary school with a few of them – and the atmosphere lightened.

They played on the pitch next to ours – and it was a bloodbath. Fortunately we finished before their game and were able to get out sharpish.

With no school van – we were on the scheduled bus service which was the worst bit – but luckily all the home team attention was on the rugby “game”.

Hove Grammar ? I fart in your general direction.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm sorry, but Deason was the hardest by a mile!

In my year we had:

A 15 year old walk into the classroom waving his car keys around. He had driven a stolen mini to school

One guy was expelled for holding a female teacher off the ground by their neck. Another was merely suspended for throwing a chair at a teacher

A bloke in my tutor group (and I was in the "top" stream) was put away for being an accessory to murder

There was a 4th year vs 5th year fight. The worst injuries were inflicted on a 5th year who suffered a fractured jaw and a broken arm.

Two drug related deaths before they had hit their twenties

I always thought this kind of thing was urban myth, but two guys broke into the school and did a turd on a teachers desk.

I was chased by five people for snogging a girl. I t happened a year before the incident. One of them fancied her so it was time to stab me (I shit you not). The police arrived at the scene and three of them had offensive weapons on them.

Stanley Deason was my personal nightmare.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I remember the Albion were due to play Notts Forest. Clough was adamant that his European Winners would not train at Hove Park (with its dog shit and all). So for an afternoon, we had Notts Forest train at Cardinal Newman school pitch. Now did they change in our poxy changing rooms. Nope, they changed in the staff room (not sure what they did re a shower). Anyway, the important part of the story, is that although they could change in the staff room, they were not allowed to wear their muddy boots in the room. These had to be left outside.

Oh how we laughed the next day when we had an emergency assembly and Headmaster Feely asked for the culprit to hand back Gary Birtles boots.

Not sure if he/she ever did, nor do I know who stole them.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Our school wasn't notorius for being hard but the highlights were, a lad getting arrested for drug offences, nothing i hear you say, he was arrested during a maths lesson, one lad permenantly excluded for beating some one to a bloody pulp with a wet floor sign. Many inter year battles, countless townie v grunger fights saw a teacher (60+) get rugby tackled and a technology teacher get headbutted.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
st andrews, sent durrington and worthing high running all the time! AVE IT :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Did anyone on here go to school in Mid Sussex, i.e Downlands, Oakmeads or St.Pauls?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I remember mving from a small school to Boundstone when it was announced that the culprit who blew up the toilets with a fertiliser bomb had been caught.

I was a bit out fo my depth. I had not been in school toilets with a roof before. And now they still had a roof but were closed for repairs.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Cadiz Seagull said:
HCGSFB - I remember we used to wear (or were supposed to wear!) those caps with the blue & white concentric circles

Yes,and only excused these hangovers from public schools in the 6th form.Where we had our privileges cut off.Oh!Have I already said that?

And to show JUST how hard we were,we bent the peaks of the caps down,and at the end of the 5th year threw them into Poxy Baxters garden.

Heh! Beat that!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Jimmy Saville said:
Stanley Deason was my personal nightmare.

Yep - you win. I only remember playing football there once - and playing fullback - would not go within 5 yards of the touchline for fear of the spectators.

One of our team had Kick Me chalked on his jacket - we thought thet was amusing. This lad called Toby Wong (who ended up at Newman as it happens) booted him and almost put him out of the game.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
i went to cardinal newman. it wasn't a hard school. weren't close enough to other schools to have regular rucks. i.e blatch and hove park.

You are obviously too young to remember the time we upset BrightonHove and Sussex Grammar.. it got coverage in the ASrgus and South Today!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Les Biehn said:
Did anyone on here go to school in Mid Sussex, i.e Downlands, Oakmeads or St.Pauls?
No No!! Sorry this is a Brighton and Hove Albion message board

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here