Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy St George's Day!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
st%20george%20cross%20toilet%20seat%20450.bmp

Very popular with our Scottish and Irish cousins.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tesco in Disguise said:
spot on. how can you be proud of something you had no control over?
Looking at it logically you are correct - but I'm pleased to say logic doesn't enter into it. People are always saying they're proud to be Scots/Irish/American/Black/Gay etc. So what's wrong with people saying they're proud to be English? Better that than desparately scanning the family tree to try and find a more 'exciting' nation to claim alleigiance to.

Of course you could arge that all these 'pride' things are ridiculous - but getting rid of them would make us all a bit greyer. So a Happy St George's Day to you Mr TiD!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Brovian said:
Looking at it logically you are correct - but I'm pleased to say logic doesn't enter into it. People are always saying they're proud to be Scots/Irish/American/Black/Gay etc. So what's wrong with people saying they're proud to be English? Better that than desparately scanning the family tree to try and find a more 'exciting' nation to claim alleigiance to.

Of course you could arge that all these 'pride' things are ridiculous - but getting rid of them would make us all a bit greyer. So a Happy St George's Day to you Mr TiD!

As you say its ridiculous, I'm not gonna celebrate being white or hetrosexual. If I will celebrate anything about myself it would be things I actually worked for like my degrees or sporting achievements. Lets celebrate stuff that people have actually worked for.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Brovian said:

thank you kindly, brov.

but yes - i do think all these 'pride' things are ridiculous. i don't know why people feel the need to ally themselves with a group of people they have virtually no connection with other than the fact they're all stranded on the same rock in the north sea. i feel no more connection with other brits than i do with other frenchmen, germans, americans, or any other western, white males.

that's not to say i deride all associations and think pride is always wrong. if you tie yourself to a political movement, and you believe their goals and principles to be true (preferably because you've researched them yourself), then i think it's right to be proud of holding them.

your nationality, however, you had no choice in deciding, so it makes little sense of being proud of the result of this lottery. conversely, nationalism is often the socially-acceptable face of predjudice, intolerance and racism.

i'm out.

but enjoy the day!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Les Biehn said:
As you say its ridiculous, I'm not gonna celebrate being white or hetrosexual. If I will celebrate anything about myself it would be things I actually worked for like my degrees or sporting achievements. Lets celebrate stuff that people have actually worked for.

Spot on. :clap:

Ps Sporting achievements!? It was you that elbowed me in the face, wasn't it!? :angry: :jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Goodfella said:
Well, i reckon it should be a Public Holiday, Absolute disgrace it is just another day in the calendar.

Hands up those for a public holiday. :wave:

I'm not for it. We already get two holidays in May and Easter is normally in April. So, most years we get four holidays in six weeks: yet, we get nothing between August and Christmas.

Let's have a November holiday.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Les Biehn said:

OK, Lets.

Team Sports
Modern Democracy
Benign State Patronage
The Western Worlds Legal System
Fair Play
The defeat of Napolean & Hitler
The abolition of slavery
The English Language
Penicillin
Railways
Steam power

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:
Spot on. :clap:

Ps Sporting achievements!? It was you that elbowed me in the face, wasn't it!? :angry: :jester:

That wasn't my elbow.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Goodfella said:
Well, i reckon it should be a Public Holiday, Absolute disgrace it is just another day in the calendar.

Hands up those for a public holiday. :wave:

Nice idea, I've long thought a holiday would be appropriate but we already have two days off in April. Daft to have three days off. Let's have a day off in October or November instead.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
Al Bion said:
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the holy lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of Desire;
Bring me my Spear; O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant Land.

Happy St George's Day
:clap2:

The only choice for the English national anthem.

I always think it's amusing when IK Brunel is called the greatest Englishmen ever (actually he's in my top ten) because his father was French though settled in England ... bloody immigrants coming over here and stealing our jobs :jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ozymandias said:

I always think it's amusing when IK Brunel is called the greatest Englishmen ever (actually he's in my top ten) because his father was French though settled in England ... bloody immigrants coming over here and stealing our jobs :jester:

There are also a lot of people who'd vote Winston Churchill, whose mother was American.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Gwylan said:
There are also a lot of people who'd vote Winston Churchill, whose mother was American.

Yeah,

But Englishness is a state of mind, and IKB never thought of himself as a Frenchman as far as I am aware.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here