Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handbrake RANT

Get real. We can all hypothesis about freak accidents. This my whole bloody point.

MY whole bloody point is that it increases the chances of an accident occuring. Whether you want to accept it or not, the rules of the road are there to make the roads as safe as possible. Anyone NOT adhering to the rules of the road is increasing the chances of an accident occuring.

Are you seriously going to attempt to refute that point?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So, given the context of our exchange, i.e. the case supplied, you believe that driving at speed and texting is a lesser crime than cycling through a red light? Can you explain this please. I'm a little lost with your argument.

Of course not. thats a silly argument, but one does not negate the other.

it was also silly of the cyclist to put himself into the position and go though a red light without even looking thus putting himself in danger and expecting others to look after him when he have not looked after himself.

The car driver was wrong, very wrong and was prosecuted accordingly,
But the cyclist should not have put himself in the position he did.
had he obeyed traffic laws he would not have been there.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Of course we do. You're the one being rediculous. If a child runs out into the street I have a duty to spot them. If someone is being a little less careful than normal for whatever reason I also feel I have a duty to conduct myself in a manner conducive to their well being. It is called responsibility.
Just because you obay the rules it doesnt give you carte blanche to mow down anyone who isnt.

"Just because you obay the rules it doesnt give you carte blanche to mow down anyone who isnt" No it doesn't, your right but it does put me in the right in the event of an accident. It has to if I'm following the laws and the other party is not.

we all have a duty of care toward others, road users, pedestrians, children, animals etc. including cyclist.

But you seem to have this thinking that cyclists are absolved of all responsibility whatsoever.

You seemed be believe that its ok for cyclist to go though red lights and that other around them should be aware of them, and should move out of their way so as to not to imped their journey,

I base my view as Car driver, Motorcyclist and also cyclist. Yours if I'm not mistaken is as a cyclist only and is therefore .very biased

Where in all this thinking is there any responsibility to the cyclist ?
In your view what responsibility do they have on the road, clearly one is not to obey traffic laws.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Just because you obay the rules it doesnt give you carte blanche to mow down anyone who isnt" No it doesn't, your right but it does put me in the right in the event of an accident. It has to if I'm following the laws and the other party is not.

we all have a duty of care toward others, road users, pedestrians, children, animals etc. including cyclist.

But you seem to have this thinking that cyclists are absolved of all responsibility whatsoever.

You seemed be believe that its ok for cyclist to go though red lights and that other around them should be aware of them, and should move out of their way so as to not to imped their journey,

I base my view as Car driver, Motorcyclist and also cyclist. Yours if I'm not mistaken is as a cyclist only and is therefore .very biased

Where in all this thinking is there any responsibility to the cyclist ?
In your view what responsibility do they have on the road, clearly one is not to obey traffic laws.

My original point is that UK motorists have a freakish fetish with cyclists and red-lights....that is all. In the grand scheme of things in my opinion it is a minor transgression.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Your argument has obviously run out.

Where you read "freakish fetish with cyclists and red-lights"

we see an illegal, dangerous, selfish. "could not give a f***" attitude and a complete disregard for the safety of other road users and pedestrian's that are crossing the road at the red light.

This is what we feel each time a cyclist does, it, nothing freakish or fetish about that, just a normal reaction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

we see an illegal, dangerous, selfish. "could not give a f***" attitude and a complete disregard for the safety of other road users and pedestrian's that are crossing the road at the red light.

This is what we feel each time a cyclist does, it, nothing freakish or fetish about that, just a normal reaction.

Okay, obsessive maybe?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

who is 'we' anyway? I can honestly say that no one I know has these feelings should a cyclist jump a red. To be honest I dont have these feelings when I see a motorist tail-gate a red when at the back of a stream of traffic.

Why do you get so wound up? Is this more about you than road users?

who is 'we' anyway? I can honestly say that no one I know has these feelings should a cyclist jump a red. To be honest I dont have these feelings when I see a motorist tail-gate a red when at the back of a stream of traffic.

:wave:

I'm glad that you are able to ignore all bad road users around you. I certainly don't think it's good for me the amount of under-my-breath swearing I do at others!

My feelings towards cyclists and motorists that do stupid things is primarily driven by the horror moments I've endured on car and bike when they've done something stupid and I've nearly hit them/they've nearly hit me. I've never lived in Brighton but here in Cambridge it is an absolute nightmare; as a road user I respect others and make sure as far as possible I am as aware and considerate as I can be of others. When people (be then on bikes or in cars) then don't treat me in the same way, and cause me to swerve/slam on the brakes/convince myself that I'm about to hit them, it annoys me.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I only use my hand break when I have parked the car, everywhere else I use clutch control, its not hard. It annoys me when people use handbreak when stopped at lights and dont release until the car in front has moved rather than going onto clutch control when the lights have changed.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Know whats worse than that? People who use their FOG lights in MIST

in my job, when i get f***ing work..........i drive lots. when bufoons leave the fog lights on i cut infront of em and turn mine on.....:annoyed:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I only use my hand break when I have parked the car, everywhere else I use clutch control, its not hard. It annoys me when people use handbreak when stopped at lights and dont release until the car in front has moved rather than going onto clutch control when the lights have changed.

ever heard of burning your clutch out???:wozza:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Is the correct answer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:wave:

I'm glad that you are able to ignore all bad road users around you. I certainly don't think it's good for me the amount of under-my-breath swearing I do at others!

My feelings towards cyclists and motorists that do stupid things is primarily driven by the horror moments I've endured on car and bike when they've done something stupid and I've nearly hit them/they've nearly hit me. I've never lived in Brighton but here in Cambridge it is an absolute nightmare; as a road user I respect others and make sure as far as possible I am as aware and considerate as I can be of others. When people (be then on bikes or in cars) then don't treat me in the same way, and cause me to swerve/slam on the brakes/convince myself that I'm about to hit them, it annoys me.

Horror moments is one thing. My general point is that the majority of cyclists might flaunt laws but they do it in a careful and considered manner. I jump red-lights now and again, but I do it in a careful way..the same way as say a pedestrian might run across a road or a junction when it is clear and not when they're at a designated crossing. Dangerous driving and cycling is one thing and I do not approve....but just because you do not follow the law to the letter does not necessarily mean you are putting anyone's life at risk.

I think people get too worked up about very petty things in this country. Look at the Argus letters page and you will see what I mean.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Damn, some of you don't like clutches. Cheaper to replace your brakes than it is to get a new clutch fitted.

As for cyclists, I'm sure most are OK, but living in Brighton and working in London means all I see are the ones that blindly ignore the rules of the road. There was a time when walking to the station in London that cyclists would just plow through large groups of pedestrians crossing on a green man.

I've even had a narrow miss with a cyclist while I was going down old shoreham road. I was driving through a green light and a cyclist comes flying down the hill and across the junction, there must have been a foot MAX between me hitting him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
OK what about this:* We should increase the age at which you are able to obtain a full driving licence to 21. *You should be retested every 10 years. *Take a motorway test before you are licenced to drive on a motorway.

Thoughts?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Fair play, Maybe it is me. when i say We i mean what i believe to be most road users,and based on drivers i know and have spoken to.
If i knew how to do a poll it would be interesting to do one here as there seems to be a wide spread of all ages and all modes of transports on here.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

That is very poor driving and certainly not the way you were taught or how you would have passed the driving test.
Holding the car on the clutch for any other reason than doing a hill start is just causing excess wear on the clutch and is not at all mechanically sympathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here