Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handbrake RANT

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That is very poor driving and certainly not the way you were taught or how you would have passed the driving test.
Holding the car on the clutch for any other reason than doing a hill start is just causing excess wear on the clutch and is not at all mechanically sympathetic.

And if anyone goes Ito the back of you youwill go into the car in front or oncoming traffic, nice one! As well as blinding the people behind, how considerate.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Having recently passed my driving test (second time), I can say that I was taught to drive using clutch control when at traffic lights. The only time I was told to use my handbrake was when I had finished doing a manouver or when parking.

With friends who can drive as well, I can only think of one who frequently uses his handbrake.

I guess it is just the way you've been taught.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Is the correct answer.

I was always taught to put handbrake on when stopping at red lights (you can fail your driving test if you don't).

This is for one reason only- if you are shunted from behind at traffic lights (unlikely but you never know!), you will roll forward and shunt the car in front, or maybe worse- crossing pedestrians.

If you rely on keeping your foot on the brake, this may slip during impact, same as clutch control. Handbrake is the safest method therefore.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I was always taught to put handbrake on when stopping at red lights (you can fail your driving test if you don't).

This is for one reason only- if you are shunted from behind at traffic lights (unlikely but you never know!), you will roll forward and shunt the car in front, or maybe worse- crossing pedestrians.

If you rely on keeping your foot on the brake, this may slip during impact, same as clutch control. Handbrake is the safest method therefore.

How i was taught

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I find it hard to believe that the current driving test does not fail you if you don't put the handbrake on at crossings and Traffic lights, as said it protects you and pedestrians if shunted from behind.
It was a major part of the driving test, whenever the vehicle was stationary the handbrake had to be applied.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Having recently passed my driving test (second time), I can say that I was taught to drive using clutch control when at traffic lights. The only time I was told to use my handbrake was when I had finished doing a manouver or when parking.

With friends who can drive as well, I can only think of one who frequently uses his handbrake.

I guess it is just the way you've been taught.

I'm a bit confused as to the clutch control at traffic lights, it can only work when facing uphill, if holding on the clutch on the level it will make the car creep forward, and if facing downhill you will roll forward.
does this mean you are taught to have one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake ?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I'm a bit confused as to the clutch control at traffic lights, it can only work when facing uphill, if holding on the clutch on the level it will make the car creep forward, and if facing downhill you will roll forward.
does this mean you are taught to have one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake ?

Yes that's what I meant, clutch down just past the biting point and my foot slightly on the brake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here