Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammonds conract offer - speculation

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
To be fair, I would take LB's bollocks on board too... he is fairly selective about the threads on which he choses to impart his wisdom, so I would be inclined to attribute a certain gravitas to his bollocks on this occasion.

I would take my bollocks very seriously too if I were you.

Oh, you mean Lord B.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Like I said. We will see. Maybe you will change your mind.

Look, I'm not saying you're wrong - far from it. The point is - I don't know. All I have said is that someone who ought to know has said it's wrong.

I have no doubt your source is 100%. I have just received the same information via another source. However, it still leaves the issue of the fact that someone in a position to know is saying it's wrong.

So I'm dipping out of commenting completely from now on.

Two good sources are saying the exact opposite.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ooh you've mentioned me again. Anyone would think you're becoming something of a fan. Or maybe just a sad twat - yeah, probably that. Anyway, I'll score Hammond how I like, not how you like. Plus, if you'd actually read any of my posts regarding Hammond and his form then you would know I am a million miles from disliking him. I don't EXPECT you to read what I post, but if you're going to mention my name then I believe you should.

Bless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harsh words.

I have a life thanks. A good job, a lovely wife and two fantastic kids.
As for the particular subject in hand - I try to be objective when discusing the merits and worth of various players, and actually judge them on their performance rather than any preconcieved opinions - something you seem completely incapable of doing in individual cases such as Hammond or Kuipers.

If that makes me a 'sad twat', then so be it. I shalln't lose sleep over it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My problem here is that your idea of what I think of Hammond is totally wrong. By all means have a go at me whenever you want if you think I'm wrong, I can take any criticism you throw at me, and I am fully aware a lot of people must read what I write and think "opinionated tosser." I just have a problem in this one case, as you're having a go at me over Hammond, and presumably my opinion of him, when if you had properly read exactly what I think of Dean Hammond, you would undoubtedly realise there is no need to as I quite like him. And, if my idea of him is "preconceived" then it is only in a good way based on last season!

Okay, I'm listening. Explain why Hammond's performance on Tuesday was worthy of a mark of 3/10 [two less than you gave anyone else on the field, and considerably less than any other single poster on this board]

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair CB you do seem not to like Hammond.

I agree with bits and bobs of what you say, but just dont understand why you dislike him - for me an in form Hammond is someone you can build a team around and he would be a massive miss if he went.
He is clearly not in form but you dont get rid just because someone is out of form, I do agree with you saying he seems undroppable though, when maybe a spell on the bench may do him some good.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with bits and bobs of what you say, but just dont understand why you dislike him - for me an in form Hammond is someone you can build a team around and he would be a massive miss if he went.
He is clearly not in form but you dont get rid just because someone is out of form, I do agree with you saying he seems undroppable though, when maybe a spell on the bench may do him some good.

agree PETE - we should try and keep hammond at all costs, as he is a good player - but unfortunately he seems to keep going missing in games this season. a classic case of the saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent'

dropping him MIGHT help him discover his form. unfortunately, we dont really have the options to do so, but maybe if he misses out with a knock tomorrow, fraser and reid do well, then they will keep the spots and hammond will have time on the bench. then we he inveitably comes back in, hopefully we will see the player of last season

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Will Dick Knight issue a statement soon over our captains failure to put pen to paper, and show surprise that Dean Wilkins has elected to pick him for the next game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
agree PETE - we should try and keep hammond at all costs, as he is a good player - but unfortunately he seems to keep going missing in games this season. a classic case of the saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent'

dropping him MIGHT help him discover his form. unfortunately, we dont really have the options to do so, but maybe if he misses out with a knock tomorrow, fraser and reid do well, then they will keep the spots and hammond will have time on the bench. then we he inveitably comes back in, hopefully we will see the player of last season

Yep, knowing he has to fight for his spot like when he first came into the side.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So, to bring that onto Hammond specifically, I felt he didn't contribute as much to the game as he should have done, and I levelled the "anonymous" criticism at him - not for the first time. Let's make it clear, I have NEVER watched Dean Hammond and thought "oh my god, he's having a SHOCKER, we need to get him off the pitch now before he costs us any more goals/points." He's not like that. What I do have an issue with is that he can easily go missing from games for HUGE chunks - sometimes an entire half or more. That's what I thought on Tuesday. I didn't really notice him do anything, and what he did do was a little slow and ponderous. Maybe a 3 is overly harsh. Thinking about it, using my system, I probably should have awarded a 4, but certainly no more. However, if you really want to have a go at me for my OVERALL view of him, then you really need to look back through all my posts on him, when I generally give the opinion that he's a very good footballer for this league currently way out of form - nothing criminal in that, surely?

Totally agree with that. I don't set out to dislike players wearing our colours, but I do feel HAMMOND is VASTLY OVER RATED. I don't see our doors being busted down with better clubs making him offers he can't refuse. I think he's reached his potential. Time will tell.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I would say so, if in form - he is capable of getting goals(non pens) and if you have someone along side him who can tackle and hold and allow him to get forward he is a good player.

I think you would need to build a team round a player who can drive a team on like Gerrard or Viera or someone who can control things with their distribution and skill like Gazza.

Hammond is more your David Platt, a player who if anything relys on not dominating because his game is about stealth, short passes, movement and ghosting into goalscoring areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here