Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond off to Sheff Utd

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Sheffield United boss Bryan Robson, meanwhile, is contemplating a £400,000 move for Brighton skipper Dean Hammond. (Daily Star) ???

scarfer1

Jun 1, 2004
London
Apparently Hammond asked for his petrol money to be covered by expenses for away games. I'm not surprised they're going to cash in after such an outrageous demand - no one is bigger than the club - just ask Leon Knight

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Sheffield United boss Bryan Robson, meanwhile, is contemplating a £400,000 move for Brighton skipper Dean Hammond. (Daily Star) ???

I work with a Sheff Utd fan who follows them to all games and he told me yesterday the bid was going to be 750k.
I asked where he got this information and he said the Sheffield Post.
But I have not been able to find the article on the net.
But he said they had bid for a Middlesborough midfielder and Hammond was second choice.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know for a fact Sheffield Wednesday were sniffing after him and he made it clear he did not want a move up north.

He is settled in Hastings with his fiance.

I honestly believe he wants to stay at Brighton and if Dick and Wilkins can pull off two or three decent signings and start building a good squad I fully expect him to stay.

That said, just because he is loyal and wants to stay local does not mean the board should pay him less than he deserves...

All of these numbers are blatently completely made up though. The player is on a free transfer in the summer. Sheffield Utd (or anyone else for that matter) will not pay a ridiculous value (and for those saying £400k doesn't represent his true value, come on, get real) for someone that they can get for free in the summer.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
All of these numbers are blatently completely made up though. The player is on a free transfer in the summer. Sheffield Utd (or anyone else for that matter) will not pay a ridiculous value (and for those saying £400k doesn't represent his true value, come on, get real) for someone that they can get for free in the summer.

If it were only one club interested in him then that would be true, but the fact that there are three or four clubs, then the bidding starts.
They will not get him for free if he sold in this window. Depends really how much a club rates and wants him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The scene: A sports editor's office. Three pots are standing on the desk, the editor puts his hand in the first pot and stirs the contents round, he pulls out his hand and unwraps a piece of paper:

Editor: "Dean Hammond"

[He repeats the process with the second pot.]

Editor: "To Sheffield United."

[And again with the third pot.]

Editor: "For £400,000 Yeah, that'll do for a story."

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Considering his contract is up in the summer, 500k + would probably be a good deal for everyone

What planet are you on? What on earth makes you think we will get anything like that for him? Premiership players in the last six months of their contract (Lee Bowyer is the example that sticks in my mind, a few years back when he abandoned Leeds and moved to West Ham the first time) move for that kind of money. This is a League One player, who hasn't been in the best of form this season. Thomson, who was the captain of an SPL club, went for less than half that. Do you seriously believe we will be looking at that kind of cash? ???

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
What planet are you on? What on earth makes you think we will get anything like that for him? Premiership players in the last six months of their contract (Lee Bowyer is the example that sticks in my mind, a few years back when he abandoned Leeds and moved to West Ham the first time) move for that kind of money. This is a League One player, who hasn't been in the best of form this season. Thomson, who was the captain of an SPL club, went for less than half that. Do you seriously believe we will be looking at that kind of cash? ???

I thought the fee for Thomson was undisclosed?
And the difference here, I think we were the only club after Thomson who he was prepared to sign for. So there was no auction for him. But with Hammond there now seems at least 5 clubs looking at him.

I thought the fee for Thomson was undisclosed?
And the difference here, I think we were the only club after Thomson who he was prepared to sign for. So there was no auction for him. But with Hammond there now seems at least 5 clubs looking at him.

But there is no auction, because the club don't ultimately hold the rights to the player. He can quite happily turn down any move which he doesn't fancy, even if they are the highest bidder to the club, in the knowledge that he can have his pick of the clubs in the summer. The clubs bidding for him won't compete on price, because there is no point. They will be competing on what they can offer to the player.

I realise that the value of Hammond to the club, if he signs a new contract, is much more than the £75k valuation I put on him. However, his potential value, either to us or to another club, for half a season is around this figure.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
But there is no auction, because the club don't ultimately hold the rights to the player. He can quite happily turn down any move which he doesn't fancy, even if they are the highest bidder to the club, in the knowledge that he can have his pick of the clubs in the summer. The clubs bidding for him won't compete on price, because there is no point. They will be competing on what they can offer to the player.

I realise that the value of Hammond to the club, if he signs a new contract, is much more than the £75k valuation I put on him. However, his potential value, either to us or to another club, for half a season is around this figure.

Spot on- unless a Championship team think he will a) keep them up or b) get them up, he is worth very little. Clubs simply won't splash out 500k on a player who will cost NOTHING in 6 months time.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Then the club are playing a dangerous game by asking for 750k.
If as you say there are no takers, then he walks for free at the end of the season. The winner is then Hammond.
But he must also think that if he fancies a move to any of these clubs and he doesn't sign now, then they might not be interested in him at the end of the season. They could sign someone else in the window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here