Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond off to Sheff Utd

Then the club are playing a dangerous game by asking for 750k.
If as you say there are no takers, then he walks for free at the end of the season. The winner is then Hammond.
But he must also think that if he fancies a move to any of these clubs and he doesn't sign now, then they might not be interested in him at the end of the season. They could sign someone else in the window.

The only place that I've seen that £750k figure is in the link from the Sheffield paper, we've no idea how much they are actually asking. If it is a figure of that magnitude, then it's a clear indication that they don't want to sell Dean, and are hoping to persuade him to sign a new contract. However, I suspect the actual figure is much less (as alluded to in the article).

The risk for the player of course is that the club may not be interested in the summer; I'm sure that the possibility of a club signing a new player would be made clear when the new club talks to Dean. However, given all the interest that he is generating at this time, he can be fairly certain (it would appear) of finding at least one Championship club willing to offer him a contract in the summer.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The only place that I've seen that £750k figure is in the link from the Sheffield paper, we've no idea how much they are actually asking. If it is a figure of that magnitude, then it's a clear indication that they don't want to sell Dean, and are hoping to persuade him to sign a new contract. However, I suspect the actual figure is much less (as alluded to in the article).

The risk for the player of course is that the club may not be interested in the summer; I'm sure that the possibility of a club signing a new player would be made clear when the new club talks to Dean. However, given all the interest that he is generating at this time, he can be fairly certain (it would appear) of finding at least one Championship club willing to offer him a contract in the summer.

Yes I agree with you. Which must come as a surprise to the many fans who under estimate Hammond as a player. So many on here said he was thinking above his talent and which tin pot Championship club would want him.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
don't know what the fuss is about, never rated him apart from a purple patch when we were in the championship. anything above £150k, would bite their hand off. but then i've only been to 5 games this season.:(

stig

I hate Tim and Matty B
Mar 27, 2007
If the signing of Murray comes off, then I can see him staying. IF this guy can come in and score some goals, I don't see why play-offs are out the question. Some of the football we played against Huddersfield was very nice, and Forster is due a run of goals. Hammond is settled down here, and I'm sure he wants to be leading the team out at Falmer.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
If the signing of Murray comes off, then I can see him staying. IF this guy can come in and score some goals, I don't see why play-offs are out the question. Some of the football we played against Huddersfield was very nice, and Forster is due a run of goals. Hammond is settled down here, and I'm sure he wants to be leading the team out at Falmer.

We've got 6 days to persuade him that we are as ambitious as him and other members of the first-team.

If not, then I can't see a finish higher than 15th :(

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Can't see him going, the sums just do not add up, anyone that wants him now will also want him in a few months time, thats for certain.

Both the buying club and the palyer can cash in there, with the buying club getting their man considerably cheaper and the player negotiating an increased signing on fee that would actually make him financially secure. ( In Championship terms ).

Also if DK has thrown a few 'spikes' at him and his agent in recent weeks then he has no incentive to really wish to do this deal for Brighton.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't see him going, the sums just do not add up, anyone that wants him now will also want him in a few months time, thats for certain.

Both the buying club and the palyer can cash in there, with the buying club getting their man considerably cheaper and the player negotiating an increased signing on fee that would actually make him financially secure. ( In Championship terms ).

Also if DK has thrown a few 'spikes' at him and his agent in recent weeks then he has no incentive to really wish to do this deal for Brighton.

You just don't get it, do you?

If there are two clubs interested, they have to bid NOW, or they will lose out.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

It does take a bit of effort to get through to some people:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I love this post. You accuse someone of lacking understanding, then make a completely made-up, generalised assumption that any club that is interested in him will lose out in the summer. If all the clubs will lose out, surely he'll be left without a club?

It doesn't matter who bids for Hammond, if he doesn't want to move to that club, he can turn them down, and sit tight and wait for the summer, when he can pick any club that wants him. He is in control, the club cannot force him to be sold.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I love this post. You accuse someone of lacking understanding, then make a completely made-up, generalised assumption that any club that is interested in him will lose out in the summer. If all the clubs will lose out, surely he'll be left without a club?

It doesn't matter who bids for Hammond, if he doesn't want to move to that club, he can turn them down, and sit tight and wait for the summer, when he can pick any club that wants him. He is in control, the club cannot force him to be sold.

Still a gamble on Hammonds part. The club he could have wanted to sign for in the window may now not be interested and the clubs in for him in the summer may not suit him.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Unfortuantely I think your the one that is struggling.

You see they would still be bidding against each other anyways the bidding does not automatically stop if he decides to ride out his current deal.

So the one club that out bids the other is likely to win either now or in a few months time.

But the defining thing in not leaving now is Hammond becomes the main financial benefitiary in a few months time.

Get it ??

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Sorry just made the same point, it seems that actually we DO GET IT :D

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The scene: A sports editor's office. Three pots are standing on the desk, the editor puts his hand in the first pot and stirs the contents round, he pulls out his hand and unwraps a piece of paper:

Editor: "Dean Hammond"

[He repeats the process with the second pot.]

Editor: "To Sheffield United."

[And again with the third pot.]

Editor: "For £400,000 Yeah, that'll do for a story."

That's actually how it works.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I agree. If I was advising Hammond I'd tell him to sit tight and see out the rest of his contract. I'd also tell him to play his heart out as the last few months here will be his 'audition' for a bigger club. Finally I'd tell him to say publically how much he loves the Albion and how he doesn't want to leave and how it all could have been sorted out. This bit is important as you don't want your future employer thinking that you're an ambitious player who'll leave THEM given the right opportunity. Of course all young players are ambitious and want to do the best for themselves (fair enough, I'd do the same) - but fans still like the fiction that players care. If he goes to Norwich for example the Norwich fans will want to think he's chosen their club because he thinks it's great and unique and not just because it was the right move at the time.

I do wonder what these 'spikes' are that you say DK has thrown at him and his agent. The agent's job is to do the best for his client and he appears to be doing precisely that with good media manipulation. There's no one to 'blame', it's just modern football.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
he will stay. of that im CERTAIN. Hopefully the thompson/murray signings are a good showing of ambition. they certainly are to me

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree. If I was advising Hammond I'd tell him to sit tight and see out the rest of his contract. I'd also tell him to play his heart out as the last few months here will be his 'audition' for a bigger club. Finally I'd tell him to say publically how much he loves the Albion and how he doesn't want to leave and how it all could have been sorted out. This bit is important as you don't want your future employer thinking that you're an ambitious player who'll leave THEM given the right opportunity. Of course all young players are ambitious and want to do the best for themselves (fair enough, I'd do the same) - but fans still like the fiction that players care. If he goes to Norwich for example the Norwich fans will want to think he's chosen their club because he thinks it's great and unique and not just because it was the right move at the time.

I do wonder what these 'spikes' are that you say DK has thrown at him and his agent. The agent's job is to do the best for his client and he appears to be doing precisely that with good media manipulation. There's no one to 'blame', it's just modern football.

I agree with most of your post.

But if Hammond feels that the Albion have dragged their feet on this deal and that DK has not showed any great willing to keep him in previous months, you can bet your life, the quotes of 'gun to my head' etc etc have caused a wee bit of resentment, of course not so much that an increased offer would pacify him !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here