Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half time in the concourse, a request!!!!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's very strange. In the concourses you are allowed to drink Beer, lots of it. In a vast throng of people, half going a different direction to each other. The unregulated queues for the toilets are crossed and recrossed by people searching for sugar for their hot drinks. When people get into the Toilet they can't get out because the hand driers are mounted next to the way out, an obvious bottle neck.
In all this self regulated throng, apart from the odd rant at the serving staff I have never seen any problems that can be cured by sitting down, in fact you can't, there aren't any seats.
So to recap.... Lots of unregulated people standing and alcohol, no seats. Lots of regulated people with seats and no alcohol, no standing. :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't really understand this. I'd never miss a minute of a match and always go back up after fifteen minutes on my watch. This invariably results in me seeing the team come out some time between getting to the top of the steps and reaching my seat.

When you are at home do you have to eat, drink or piss every two hours?

Is so you have a problem or three.

If it is just eating that is the problem bring a snack with you.
If it is drinking bring a carton of drink (no bottles allowed)
If it is pissing visit your doctor

When I'm at home I haven't normally drunk about 5 or 6 pints in a short period, also when I'm at home the temperature is normally higher than in the stadium and colder temperatures make you piss more (your body naturally expels the liquid to negate the need to heat it to body temperature)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I always enjoy a Brighton goal 5 minutes before half time and 5 minutes after, gives me satisfaction to see glum faces truding back up the steps realising their desire for a beer cost them witnessing a goal.

I feel sorry for the half time guest, especially somebody as iconic as Liam Brady or Garry Nelson on the pitch at half time.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Would have been nice to have actually heard the Liam Brady interview in the concourses on Saturday ? TV's with no sound, brilliant.

They have got sound, but even at full volume you won't hear anything because they are not wired in to the Concourse PA (for obviuos reasons as that's for important things like telling people they've left their lights on).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't know why people are being shot down with sarcastic ''err why don't you just check your watch ffs'' comments.

I personally don't find it a problem to be back in time, but having a bell chime once wouldn't be the end of the world would it? Why jump down peoples throats, are they not superfan enough for you?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It's very strange. In the concourses you are allowed to drink Beer, lots of it. In a vast throng of people, half going a different direction to each other. The unregulated queues for the toilets are crossed and recrossed by people searching for sugar for their hot drinks. When people get into the Toilet they can't get out because the hand driers are mounted next to the way out, an obvious bottle neck.
In all this self regulated throng, apart from the odd rant at the serving staff I have never seen any problems that can be cured by sitting down, in fact you can't, there aren't any seats.
So to recap.... Lots of unregulated people standing and alcohol, no seats. Lots of regulated people with seats and no alcohol, no standing. :shrug:

If the ground has to be evacuated in an emergency any seats in the concourse would be in the way. I can see the case for installing a few seats in the concourse, but you can never have a 'Dicks Bar' type layout because the Concourse is primarily a thoroughfare to the entrances/exits.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If the ground has to be evacuated in an emergency any seats in the concourse would be in the way. I can see the case for installing a few seats in the concourse, but you can never have a 'Dicks Bar' type layout because the Concourse is primarily a thoroughfare to the entrances/exits.

Although I am old and do like a sit down, the point being, that only yards away from an almost unregulated scrum, there is the most draconian set of laws to govern our behavior.

if the ground has to be evacuated in an emergency any seats in the concourse would be in the way. I can see the case for installing a few seats in the concourse, but you can never have a 'dicks bar' type layout because the concourse is primarily a thoroughfare to the entrances/exits.

Could the seats not automatically descend into the floor when the fire alarm goes off????

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know why people are being shot down with sarcastic ''err why don't you just check your watch ffs'' comments.

I personally don't find it a problem to be back in time, but having a bell chime once wouldn't be the end of the world would it? Why jump down peoples throats, are they not superfan enough for you?

It's not really shooting them down or jumping down their throats. It's pointing out the obvious.

Sure a bell would be nice, and I don't think anyone who has pointed out that half time last 15 minutes, that the second half kicks off 15 minutes after the first half ends, and if you take a quick glance at you watch when the half time whistle goes, you know what time to get back for, those people are not opposed to a bell, or announcement. We're just explaining that it isn't a necessity, and there are logical things people can do instead of/until the installing of some form of alert. Time keeping is a very basic skill.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
No, I don't normally eat at the football, on Saturday I didn't even have a pint, just queued for a gipsies and spoke to a mate. I can assure you in the north you can not hear anything pitch side, not even the crowd from within the concourse, let alone sussex by the sea.

I know to some it sounds petty, I don't ever go down until half time whistle has gone to, I am surprised others don't agree as I have heard comments similar to my thoughts.

I am in the North, and agree it is sometimes tricky to tell what is going on pitchside from listening alone; although I have heard Sussex by the Sea a few times myself once the concourse clears out.

As for getting any sort of food or drink at halftime, I only ever tried this at the first game at the Amex, and it took so long have never tried again. Can't imagine it is much quicker now than it was then though.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
A good friend of mine (proper Chelsea fan) was in the 1901 Club for the Arsenal game. He texted me to say that he watched the first 20 minutes on a flat screen TV before he realised it wasn't a window!

Made me chuckle...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This reminds me of the bloke whose ST was getting fluffy and dusty. Did that situation ever get resolved by the way?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here