Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half time in the concourse, a request!!!!!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Although I am old and do like a sit down, the point being, that only yards away from an almost unregulated scrum, there is the most draconian set of laws to govern our behavior.

That only refers to the Alchohol consumption bit, and to be fair a lot of peoples' behaviour changes dramatically after they had too much to drink ( like they might decide to vent their fury at an assistant ref by throwing plastic bottles at them, or is that just Millwall? )

Funny that at Withdean after the pie throwing incident there weren't any calls for pies to be banned from the stands! Presumably that means the pie thrower was completely sober when he did it, or maybe he'd just staggared out of The Sportsman.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree the ref sounds a bell to each dressing room to warn the players to go out to the pitch so what would it take to extend that same bell to ring in the concourses or the club install their own, very little. As you say would make the match day just that little more enjoyable as it would stop people walking in front of where are other supporters are sat watching the game..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's not really shooting them down or jumping down their throats. It's pointing out the obvious.

Sure a bell would be nice, and I don't think anyone who has pointed out that half time last 15 minutes, that the second half kicks off 15 minutes after the first half ends, and if you take a quick glance at you watch when the half time whistle goes, you know what time to get back for, those people are not opposed to a bell, or announcement. We're just explaining that it isn't a necessity, and there are logical things people can do instead of/until the installing of some form of alert. Time keeping is a very basic skill.

I agree entirely with your point. I disagree with how some people have been making that point. It's been a tad condescending.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are 'victims' of our own success, it seems. At most grounds 50% of fans have use the catering facilities but at the Amex it is 80%.
The screens are visible from most angles on the concourses, so whilst drinking/eating, keep an eye on them as they say 'Please take your seats' a few minutes before the teams come out.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Why can't we just extend half time to 30 minutes?

Win-win. Players get more of a rest, little kids get more time on the pitch to play crossbar challenge or whatever, we get more time to drink booze and eat pies and sweets, the club makes more money.

Simples.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why can't we just extend half time to 30 minutes?

Win-win. Players get more of a rest, little kids get more time on the pitch to play crossbar challenge or whatever, we get more time to drink booze and eat pies and sweets, the club makes more money.

Simples.

Yea midweek games finishing after 10pm. God knows what time a game would finish if extra time is being played :facepalm:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If the club had actually thought about it properly they could have installed a quick release tent that goes around and over your seating area (s) and 27,000 dumb waiters that bring up booze to under your seat. You could then have a beer ready for half time (upon request) without seeing the pitch. In the tents are urinals too that flow down under the seats into the toilets.
They just don't think do they.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Why not just have the tv screens showing the pitch, you would see the players come out for the second half, then turn the screens off a fews seconds after kick off?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I still don't understand why they don't show the game on the tellies like they do at allot of grounds?

Those that then want to get back and watch the second half will then know exactly when the players are back out. Those of us that aren't that bothered about being back at the seat the second the referee blows his whistle can finish our pint off and not miss the game. Dare I say it those who aren't bothered about going back at all can watch the rest of the game at the bar.

Cue the obvious response of "yes but I'm here to support the team blah blah blah" and "I haven't paid all this money to watch it on telly". Well done you, you are my Albion hero! The fact is no one is stopping you from doing that. I guaranty they'll be a fair few people who are happy to miss the first few minutes or even the whole half and the longer they are in the bar the more they are spending. Seems like a win win to me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still don't understand why they don't show the game on the tellies like they do at allot of grounds?

I seem to remember this being asked before, but can't remember if it was at the season ticket presentation or to insider on the ask the club section. But from what I recall, the club's position is that they don't want to encourage people to hang around in the concourse while the match is underway, preferring the fans were in the stands supporting the team. (I know watching on TV doesn't mean you're not supporting them, but being in the concourse means the players see more empty seats, hear fewer fans, fewer fans are there to intimidate opponents with the noise of their cheers, etc.)

The club put something up on the screens. If they were to start adding bells or alarms, I don't imagine they would leave it any later. The notice on the screen comes up at a time that gives everyone time to get back to their seats. The rush out when the whistle goes to end each half leads to a bottleneck at the vomitories, because thousands of people are trying to leave at the same time. If they left the announcement until the teams are out, you would get the same bottlenecking to get back to the seats.

People will then complain there's such a crush to get back to their seats, it can be easily alleviated by giving people more notice.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have given up drinking at half-time, to be fair it seems I have given up after as well, due to no Kronenbourg again! Oops sorry, wrong thread.
Anyway, I think I am correct in that the screen displays "please take your seats" just before the players come out, doesn't it then go blank when they are out? I can't remember if it still says take your seats whilst the game is being played..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really can't see the point of drinking at half time, by the time you reach the front of the queue you have to down it, and then as was said at the start of the thread end up missing part of the match. Its 30p / minute to watch the Albion, why miss out on the action? Just bring a snack and a drink, it is allowed you know..

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've only ever gone down for half time refreshments once, and it was so rushed I'll never do it again. At the Goldstone in the olde days it was only 10 minutes to find a gap on the wall called Gents. Probably TV that extended it to 15. In theory the referee starts a stop watch and the second half starts 15 minutes after the first half whistle rather than a fixed time (i.e. 4:00). But sound in the concourse would help or here's a good idea, half the screens show Sky pre match so at half time put a countdown clock on to those screen as a guide.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jack Reacher has no trouble with the time, and anyway he's big enough to be served first. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here