Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hacker,Gary McKinnon.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Makes you so proud to be British. A utter disgrace that the U/K Govt is prepared to allow Mckinnon to be sent to the USA for trial. :shrug:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And if it was an American hacking into our defence systems, would you want him extradited here to stand trial?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think he should go and face the music. Headline figures of 70 years jail time is never going to happen if found guilty. I'd be surprised if he got more than a couple of years, would even be surprised a tad if he got that much.

His defence team basically don't want him to be extradited because the Americans will be more harsh with him, because it was THEIR national defense that he was messing with. There's very little basis on which to charge him in this country, hence them wanting him tried over here.

I'm sorry, but the man caused huge amounts of damage to the US government PC network. Don't have a problem with him being extradited.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
His defence team basically don't want him to be extradited because the Americans will be more harsh with him, because it was THEIR national defense that he was messing with. There's very little basis on which to charge him in this country, hence them wanting him tried over here.

I'm sorry, but the man caused huge amounts of damage to the US government PC network. Don't have a problem with him being extradited.

Chances are he'll have quite a few companies offering a well paid job when he gets out though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
but the extradition treaty is one sided, i.e the nat west three, i have no doubt they were as guilty as f*** but if the situation were reversed we wouldnt have had a cat in hell's chance of getting them over here.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Makes you so proud to be British. A utter disgrace that the U/K Govt is prepared to allow Mckinnon to be sent to the USA for trial. :shrug:

I suppose if he hacked into your computer you would say naughty boy dont do it again. Hackers and Virus writers get what they deserve, and should have their fingers chopped off.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Serves him right. He should have switched off (but not on again).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Chances are he'll have quite a few companies offering a well paid job when he gets out though.

If he does get out. He suffers from Asperger's Syndrome which is going to complicate matters. It seems that his family believe he will not survive in jail and I don't think they are simply using that as an excuse for leniency.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He won't end up in jail, yank CIA will hire him up, they always do

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
People seem to have forgotten that he broke the law! It is right that he is tried for his crimes. But as other posters have said he will not doubt get a 'job' with the one of the Agencies in the US.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
To those who think he should 'face the music' the offences occured in 2001 (before 9/11) and 2002,the US Govt has waited until 2005 before launching its case,it had to as there was no agreement before then. We could not request this to be the other way around,as someone has said it is a one-sided deal. As to hacking well the Americans must have a weak system if he could get in and if it was a strong defence system then let him work for us. :bigwave:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how do we know if the extradition treaty is one sided, how many attempts have we made to bring people back the other way?

as for his guilt, he has literally admitted it and frankly i dont understand why anyone is defending him. if he had hacked into GHCQ the Daily Mail would be running stories about how he's the most dangerous man in Britiain or such hyperbole. but because the US want him, ah poor lamb. If he had gone there in the first place, plea bargined, it would all have been dealt with by now, but fighting it and drawing attention he has embaressed the US military further.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I reckon they'll give him a job in CTU

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
how do we know if the extradition treaty is one sided, how many attempts have we made to bring people back the other way?

as for his guilt, he has literally admitted it and frankly i dont understand why anyone is defending him. if he had hacked into GHCQ the Daily Mail would be running stories about how he's the most dangerous man in Britiain or such hyperbole. but because the US want him, ah poor lamb. If he had gone there in the first place, plea bargined, it would all have been dealt with by now, but fighting it and drawing attention he has embaressed the US military further.

Personally, I think he should go and face the music in the states. His defence are playing the mental illness card but I struggle to believe this renders him incapable of reasoned thought. Aspergers can have a wide range of symptoms, from very mild and hardly noticeable to extremey severe. As for the treaty, I seem to recall that the USA have agreed it but not legally ratified it so we cannot extradite anyone back to the UK. Very one sided situation that needs rectifying soon as.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

To be fair though various judges in the US blocked the extradition of IRA members on a regular basis in the 70s and 80s.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did he commit the offence in the US or in the UK?

If here (which it was), he should be tried here. If, indeed, he did commit any offence in English law.

Define commit, he was based in the UK, but targeted US sites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here