Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hacker,Gary McKinnon.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The offence is hacking which he admits too. Serves him right.

He's not going being extradicted to "face the music" for what he did. He's going to be the subject of a show trial to demonstrate that the US is winning the War On Terrorism.

Hacker Gary McKinnon will receive no pity, insists US - Telegraph

So, what's the alternative?

Like it or not we have an extradition treaty with the US. And if we have an extradition treaty with another country, and they can present a prima facie case that the individual may have committed a crime, we have no alternative but to extradite.

Unless we feel that he won't get a fair trial. In which case we shouldn't have an extradition treaty with that country.

There is no legal reason or indeed legal basis for him to be tried in UK. He probably didn't break UK law but there's a pretty good prima facie case that he broke UK law.

What would you do?

Let him off?

Try him in the UK?

Extradite him to the US?

I'm struggling to think of a fourth option.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Get real,some of you. This is a one way deal. The USA could have got G/K before 2005,however they waited until the U/K Govt signed this agreement.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Gary McKinnon is guilty! - of exposing the systemic weakness of US defense system security, the responsibility of complacent desk warriors.

In similar position to Daily Telegraph and the MPs expenses exposure.

In both cases the publicity was hugely embarassing and elements of the process illegal, but I haven't heard that the Telegraph is being prosecuted nor the thief that nicked the disk, have you?

Gary McKinnon is guilty! - of exposing the systemic weakness of US defense system security
I know someone, with full security clearance to work on military computer systems inside the Pentagon, who couldn't believe how lax their attitude to secrecy is.

Far worse than in similar situations in the UK.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the story has been dragging on for so many years i forget the details. iirc he did break UK law, the Computer Misuse Act, but its blurred because the target was abroad noone in this country was able to bring forward a complaint and possible prosecution.

the case has been around longer than 2005 as suggested earlier, quick google finds news story from 2002

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A few years ago I worked on a project that was involved with computers used by MI6, believe me their attitude to security was poor. Currently I work for the NHS who have spent a lot of money tightening their security and yet many NHS employees see it as a hindrance and barely try to maintain their strict Information Governance rules.

Given how complacent many Americans are about their own situation which is more than just a bit smug I can see why their security was so lacking. Mr McKinnon has embarrassed the Americans and yes I too see this as a show trial. He make have broken the law but at te end of the day maybe the Yanks should be grateful that he has exposed their obvious weaknesses.

As far as his extradition is concerned given their attitude towards us when trying to get suspected IRA terrorists back (bearing in mind that the IRA never planted bombs on their land) our spineless, toadying government should have given them a two word answer, the second word being 'off'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Did he commit the offence in the US or in the UK?

If here (which it was), he should be tried here. If, indeed, he did commit any offence in English law.

Absolutely - and the CPS have already dropped the case so as he has nothing to answer under British law then he has not reason to be sent to the US.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know someone, with full security clearance to work on military computer systems inside the Pentagon, who couldn't believe how lax their attitude to secrecy is.

Far worse than in similar situations in the UK.

I can assure you that the UK authorities are pretty poor on security as well. Ironically ( and very scarely ) it's the commercial sector such as banks that have the tightest security around their systems.

Plus he's a 'bit weird'.

I also suffer from Asperger's syndrome, are you saying that me and all others with AS are also "a bit weird". You have no idea how hard it has been growing up constantly being bullied throughout your childhood, which many of us with AS have had to suffer due to our nature. I have a couple of friends with AS also and it's not an easy way to live at times!!

and even if, as some have alluded to on this thread, he does not have aspergers, I find that branding us all as wierdos offensive.

Igonrant Cock :wanker::wanker:

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I also suffer from Asperger's syndrome, are you saying that me and all others with AS are also "a bit weird". You have no idea how hard it has been growing up constantly being the but of jokes and being bullied, which many of us with AS have had to suffer, I have a couple of friends with AS also and it's not an easy way to live at times!!

Igonrant Cock :wanker::wanker:

He was quite clearly being sarcastic there.

I think it's a disgrace he's being extradited under terrorism laws, when it is patently clear he is not a terrorist. It's a classic case of laws being misused. The US should be happy it was him who exposed the massive flaws in their security, and not someone who's actually dangerous.

There are also 76 Labour MPs who signed an Early Day Motion in Parliament saying he shouldn't be extradited, but then voted in favour of extradition anyway. This too is a disgrace, the spineless, self-interested pricks.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the ungrateful yanks should be pinning a medel on this guy after all he pointed out glaring holes in their security................and some time ago a yank killed a girl and left her body in the boot of the car he left at Gatwick and I seem to remember it took ages to get him back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here