Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's Potential Suitor Clubs

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Appreciate it's one for the future, and hopefully the distant future at that, and all conjecture at that, but for me it comes down to Chelsea, Spurs, Leeds and West Ham.

Leeds - Grayson is doing okay at the moment, but if he got the boot would Gus really want to relocate his family from Kent, and with his son relatively local at Charlton?
Chelsea - Gus surely too 'untried' for Abramovich's liking, even if Gus does have us pushing for the Premiership next season.
Spurs - Harry for England could see Gus headhunted.
West Ham - biggest threat in my opinion because Grant is surely on borrowed time, even if they stay up, but would they match Gus's ambition, or would he rather hang on for a better option than go there, a top six Premiership side even?

I can't see any of the 'middling clubs' like your Nottingham Forests, Middlesboroughs, Sheffield Uniteds, Ipswiches, even your Wolves or Birminghams having a great appeal for Gus when he does make the great leap.

Thoughts? :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It will be a BIG/generally regarded top ten prem club.

By the way thats a fluid top ten so it wont be an outfit like Stoke or Bolton (as they are similar sized fan base wise etc) but could be a Newcastle or Sunderland or Villa who have real money to spend.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Tottenham is surely favourite.

Redknapp is nailed on to be next England manager after Euro 2012, by which time Poyet will probably be even hotter property if Brighton have a good season in the Championship.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
West Brom if they stay up and start poorly next season. However with them being a yo yo club they might not match his ambitions.
Also Aston Villa, if we have an excellent start in the Championship and they are struggling around November time next season. They are definitely a team who need some new direction.
I would be very surprised if he leaves us for anything less than a side that finishes 5th to 10th in the PL. It would have to be team with big investment and potential for Gus to go lower than this.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I can never see Rednapp managing England.

West Ham for me.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I honestly think only Chelski could tempt him.

Everything I have ever heard Gus say has given me confidence that he will see out his contract, provided that we want him to.

We should remember that he is a very young manager so he has plenty of time, and here he has a squad he has built, a new stadium, a newly promoted side (fingers crossed) and he will also soon have a new £15M training set up which he is having taylored to his specs.

If he moves he gets someone elses team, stadia and facilities, and if things dont go well clubs tend to have far less patience with and loyalty to a new manager. He'd have alot to loose from moving in my opinion.

My hope is that, providing the club supports ambition with the monies, he will stay long enough to get us to the premiership (2/3 seasons) and eventually establish himself and The Albion as one of the top clubs/managers in English football. :rave:

:albion1:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I would think one thing that a good footie manager values very much is having a good open and trusting relationship with the owners, chariman, board etc.

He clearly has that with BHAFC, and I think this is one of the biggest factors currently in play. But could you really imagine ANY up-and-coming manager laying awake at night thinking "ooohhh, I really want to get that West Ham manager's job, I really feel I could work well with Sullivan & Gold"

As long as Bloom continues to back the ambitions for the club that he has shared with Poyet - and I would guess that includes taking us into the Premiership within 3 years - I reckon Gus will only leave for a potentially top 6 club that stands a proper chance of playing in the Champions League and winning the Premiership.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
One thing that marks out top managers from the rest is there ability to decide when and where to move on. I'd class Poyet in this brackett so I can't see him jumping ship just for a big pay day, struggle at a club with issues, and tarnish his rep.
Hope so anyway :smokin:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Chelsea always seems to be a ridiculous suggestion to me. They will want one of the top 6 or 7 managers in the world (well, the ones they have not already had). Anyone they go for would almost certainly won the Champions League or World Cup already. There is no way they would go for someone untested at that level. Spurs could be a different matter, they have in the past gone for slightly wacky choices, although now they've hit the top, I would think this would be out too.

If it's in this country, I would imagine it would be somewhere with potential and a decent chairman (which rules out West Ham at the mo probably on both counts). A mid-table prem club, or even a top-half championship club if they are getting some momentum.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Chelsea always seems to be a ridiculous suggestion to me. They will want one of the top 6 or 7 managers in the world (well, the ones they have not already had). Anyone they go for would almost certainly won the Champions League or World Cup already. There is no way they would go for someone untested at that level. Spurs could be a different matter, they have in the past gone for slightly wacky choices, although now they've hit the top, I would think this would be out too.

If it's in this country, I would imagine it would be somewhere with potential and a decent chairman (which rules out West Ham at the mo probably on both counts). A mid-table prem club, or even a top-half championship club if they are getting some momentum.

The only way Clelsea is an option where he can start off as an assistant to a very experienced manager (Hiddink? Mourinho?) and take over the reigns after a couple of seasons.

Is being assistant at Chelsea as good a job as manager of Brighton?

Only Gus can answer that I suppose.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I honestly don't think Levy would appoint him as Spurs manager, straight from Brighton.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Appreciate it's one for the future, and hopefully the distant future at that, and all conjecture at that, but for me it comes down to Chelsea, Spurs, Leeds and West Ham.

Leeds - Grayson is doing okay at the moment, but if he got the boot would Gus really want to relocate his family from Kent, and with his son relatively local at Charlton?
Chelsea - Gus surely too 'untried' for Abramovich's liking, even if Gus does have us pushing for the Premiership next season.
Spurs - Harry for England could see Gus headhunted.
West Ham - biggest threat in my opinion because Grant is surely on borrowed time, even if they stay up, but would they match Gus's ambition, or would he rather hang on for a better option than go there, a top six Premiership side even?

Leeds - No. relocation would stop him, same division as us soon anyway (hopefully).
Chelsea - Yes, but not for a few years yet.
Spurs - Harry for England could see Gus headhunted. Agreed.
West Ham - No chance. They sacked his mate Zola who would have told him stay clear of Gold/Sullivan.

I think Spurs are the biggest threat, but not for a few years yet. WBA are not a threat for same reason as I have given for Westham.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I honestly don't think Levy would appoint him as Spurs manager, straight from Brighton.

Indeed nor would any club hoping/aiming to be in the Champions League, unless we had been promoted to the lower reaches of the prem. Think of all the managers who have been hired for clubs competing for the CL places, Fergie, Wenger, Benitez, Moyes (once), Ancelotti, Jose, Grant - I can't think of one that has come from outsite the top division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here