Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's Potential Suitor Clubs

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well. yeah, but we're talking about him moving on - if we stall a bit next year, who knows. I suspect we'll be lucky if he's still with us by the end of next season, but hope I'm wrong.

Agreed, it definately depends on how we do in the first half of next season. I remember reading/hearing recently someone (pundit/manager?) was giving us props, saying we are far better than most Championship sides that they had watched this season. Couple of quality signings in the summer and, dare I say it, we will be mustard.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agreed, it definately depends on how we do in the first half of next season. I remember reading/hearing recently someone (pundit/manager?) was giving us props, saying we are far better than most Championship sides that they had watched this season. Couple of quality signings in the summer and, dare I say it, we will be mustard.

Absolutely, and I would expect TB to spend a little to make sure we're comfortable in that division, but not spend silly money. However, it's difficult to gauge. I am under no illusions that if GP gets an offer that he thinks will progress his career, then he'll be off - I think he's pretty much said so.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't see him going to West Ham in a million years, not after the way his mate Zola was treated by Sullivan and his cohorts.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Absolutely, and I would expect TB to spend a little to make sure we're comfortable in that division, but not spend silly money. However, it's difficult to gauge. I am under no illusions that if GP gets an offer that he thinks will progress his career, then he'll be off - I think he's pretty much said so.

I've always had the impression that he will only go if we, as a club, are unable to progress any further, and he feels he can. I would like to think that there is little standing in our way, but as you rightly say its all very speculative atm. At least one positive is that if the top job at the Amex does ever become available, it would be seen as a dream job for any prospective manager not already at a top club.

I'm still hopefull we will become the new Arsenal, Poyet the new Wenger! But hey, Im an optimist!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
West Ham - biggest threat in my opinion because Grant is surely on borrowed time, even if they stay up, but would they match Gus's ambition, or would he rather hang on for a better option than go there, a top six Premiership side even?

Why on earth would he leave for a club about to get a running track around the pitch when he's seen what a crap atmosphere that generates here ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he's more likely to quit because there is something amiss between him/Bloom/the fans. I think there is a good chance of him leaving (when he does) without a job to go to rather than being poached tbh.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think he's more likely to quit because there is something amiss between him/Bloom/the fans. I think there is a good chance of him leaving (when he does) without a job to go to rather than being poached tbh.

Blasphemy! Repent! :lol:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Indeed nor would any club hoping/aiming to be in the Champions League, unless we had been promoted to the lower reaches of the prem. Think of all the managers who have been hired for clubs competing for the CL places, Fergie, Wenger, Benitez, Moyes (once), Ancelotti, Jose, Grant - I can't think of one that has come from outsite the top division.

Moyes is the odd-one-out there, isn't he? Didn't he go to Everton from Preston? That's the worry re Gus; Moyes was doing well at a decent-sized second tier club but moved on when an established Prem team came for him. If Gus does want to manage at the level of Chelsea etc. in the future then he'll have to get into the top division somehow... fingers crossed that will be with us!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blasphemy! Repent! :lol:

I know, but he's a volatile chap and gets pissed off very easily, remember how personally he took the booing after the 1st FC United game. He'll not poke up with much he doesn't like I don't reckon. He probably wouldn't be half as inspiring without the fiery latin temprement.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I know, but he's a volatile chap and gets pissed off very easily, remember how personally he took the booing after the 1st FC United game. He'll not poke up with much he doesn't like I don't reckon. He probably wouldn't be half as inspiring without the fiery latin temprement.

Very good point. Still, to walk is a big thing I think it would take something massive. We are very lucky that TB is such a top bloke, cant see him ever letting beef damage the club.

Oh and your sig says "when Gus goes.." < Blasphemy! Repent! :lol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
double posted, removed :thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I've been thinking exactly the same. We've been excellent for 90% of the season and playing fantastic football yet, like you point out there has been negativity and booing, Gus had a bit of a flounce about it at the time. I fear that if we find ourselves on a bad run next season, some of our less patient fans and the new, perhaps more fickle fans may start getting on his back.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think Spurs would be the one. He'd be a mug to join Chelsea as either manager or #2, the way Abramovich sacks people at the drop of a hat. Can't see Wet Spam either, because of the fore mentioned stadium with its running track. I just hope that he stays with us a lot longer, as he has everybody behind him, a great chairman/board that trust him, players that respect him, supporters who love him for providing excellent football, and a new stadium that is the envy of most of the 92 clubs.

In Gus we trust.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's VERY left field, but I can see him going to Arsenal, even with his past associations Spuds and Chelsea, being hardly Gooner material.

He'd fit right in, and is a young Wenger with added flair, which is pretty much all Arsenal need. (along with a goalie, centre half and striker!)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Chelsea , Arsenal , Man United , Man City , Spurs or Liverpool , no other Prem clubs would get considered. Gus could also go to a top side in Serie A or La Liga.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
If I was going to have a bet, i'd say eventually Mark Hughes will move on from Fulham, and Poyet may be in their frame . I would'nt rule out Spurs either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here