Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: We won't panic buy - By Brian Owen

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Gus: We won't panic buy​

Gus Poyet has admitted he will not sign a striker this summer if he cannot get the right man.

The Albion boss is desperate for a goal getter to fire his side into the upper reaches of the Championship.

But he has insisted he will not panic buy to boost his side, who are still searching for a first goal of the season.

Poyet wants an attacking addition of similar quality to his three star summer signings at the back – Wayne Bridge, Bruno and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Poyet said: “I’m not going to get just anyone in.

“I’m not going to give anyone the chance to say we’ve got the striker we wanted when we haven’t.

“We bring in quality or we don’t bring in anybody.”

Poyet reckons Albion’s top-flight defenders have taken his side into another gear.

Bridge and Bruno have impressed in the opening Championship games of the season after arriving from Manchester City and Valencia.

Their efforts have been a real eye opener for fans and players alike at The Amex according to their boss.

Poyet said: “The best chance (against Cardiff on Tuesday) – or the one that looked like it was going in – was Bruno’s “Wayne was voted man of the match.

“That shows not only the quality but also the power, the speed when you go to another level.

“I always say to people here, quality is not only about technique.

“It is about the quality of your understanding, the quality of your fitness, your speed.

“In the Premier League everything is better.

“This show when Wayne started running and he was passing people like they cannot run.

“And I tell you what – they CAN run.”

Albion today start the build-up to the home game against Barnsley with Poyet content at their performances so far.

He said: "People can’t believe how calm I am. Normally after one point from two games I would be mad."

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Pretty much what Gus has always said, and it's the right attitude. There's no point buying a random striker just because you need a striker.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yup. He has always said this about all signings, other than development squad.

His words will be ignored though by some or interpreted as "TB and I don't get on and he won't give me any money blah blah blah" or some such nonsense.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
That's gonna upset NSC's Great Unwashed! Not even the merest whiff of a u-turn on the glorious return of Glenn 'The Saviour' Murray. The peasants will truly be revolting methinks.

:whistle:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd prefer us to miss out, and use what we've got then sign a player on too much money that turns out to be useless, it's not worth the risk and I'm glat Gus is being cautious.

We have strenthened a lot over the summer, we just have to be patient with CMS and the rest of the lads that they'll start firing soon.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
That's gonna upset NSC's Great Unwashed! Not even the merest whiff of a u-turn on the glorious return of Glenn 'The Saviour' Murray. The peasants will truly be revolting methinks.

:whistle:

Thank god don't need or want him back. some of the Murray threads are embarrassing

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I think Gus still has targets, it is showing to agents that we aren't desperate. It wouldn't surprise me if we sign a premier league striker on loan for the season when the squads are finalised...which won't be until the end of the month of course.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
We'll end up getting someone on loan - could potentially work out better if we can bag a Premier League fringe player.

I reckon this will happen, but we'll get a lower fringe player. I'd be happy with Chris Wood to be honest. Look a lotter fitter at the moment and I was pretty impressed when he was here.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Gus: We won't panic buy​

Gus Poyet has admitted he will not sign a striker this summer if he cannot get the right man.

The Albion boss is desperate for a goal getter to fire his side into the upper reaches of the Championship.

But he has insisted he will not panic buy to boost his side, who are still searching for a first goal of the season.

Poyet wants an attacking addition of similar quality to his three star summer signings at the back – Wayne Bridge, Bruno and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Poyet said: “I’m not going to get just anyone in.

I’m not going to give anyone the chance to say we’ve got the striker we wanted when we haven’t.

“We bring in quality or we don’t bring in anybody.”

Poyet reckons Albion’s top-flight defenders have taken his side into another gear.

Bridge and Bruno have impressed in the opening Championship games of the season after arriving from Manchester City and Valencia.

Their efforts have been a real eye opener for fans and players alike at The Amex according to their boss.

Poyet said: “The best chance (against Cardiff on Tuesday) – or the one that looked like it was going in – was Bruno’s “Wayne was voted man of the match.

“That shows not only the quality but also the power, the speed when you go to another level.

“I always say to people here, quality is not only about technique.

“It is about the quality of your understanding, the quality of your fitness, your speed.

“In the Premier League everything is better.

“This show when Wayne started running and he was passing people like they cannot run.

“And I tell you what – they CAN run.”

Albion today start the build-up to the home game against Barnsley with Poyet content at their performances so far.

He said: "People can’t believe how calm I am. Normally after one point from two games I would be mad."

I was concerned by the highlighted bit. What is that all about? Who is he thinking would say that? Is he having arguments internally?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The irony of Gus preaching about only bringing in quality strikers, given his track record in that department, is quite amusing. That said, his basic point is sound - there's no point bringing someone in just to keep the fans quiet. However, it's also important that you don't set your sights so high that you miss out on someone who could do a decent job - a new striker is a necessity rather than a luxury improvement.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this is the correct answer, dont waste money on players that are no better than we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here