Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus says people who criticise Ashley Barnes don't understand football

D

Deleted User X18H

Brighton & Hove Albion : Poyet – Barnes gives us options

By Tim Hodges

Gus Poyet feels that some of the fans who criticise Ashley Barnes don’t quite understand football.

The Albion boss thinks fans should perhaps look at what Barnes brings to the team , not just scoring goals but his movement and his work rate when the Albion aren’t in possession of the ball.

Poyet feels Barnes deserves his regular staring place on merit. Going on to say the former Plymouth man gives the Albion options, and always wants to win and that the striker is a very important player for the Albion.

Barnes is contacted to the Seagulls until July 2013.

Poyet however wouldn’t be drawn on other individual contracts. Stating that what concerns him is, when a player has a three year deal, sometimes an agent will try and renegotiate that with eighteen months still left. The Albion boss feels a three year deal means they play for three years, then if they are good enough be rewarded with a new deal.

Only a few exceptional players have the right to renegotiate midterm. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time left, said the Seagulls boss.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 18477

Sounds like a lot of our players will leave on free's then with that policy. Great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, Tim. I'm not going to criticise for the sake of it or just hurl a load of abuse. But seriously, can you relay some DIRECT QUOTES from these press conferences, instead of the "Gus said he thought blah de blah" type scribings you churn out on here ?

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what Gus has to say via your reports, but NOT through your own curious third-person filter. Seriously - it doesn't work.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seriously [MENTION=1991]hove born&bred[/MENTION] I don't why you bother relaying news with the response you get from some of these troglodytes... thicker skin than most I guess!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Brighton & Hove Albion : Poyet – Barnes gives us options

By Tim Hodges

Gus Poyet feels that some of the fans who criticise Ashley Barnes don’t quite understand football.

The Albion boss thinks fans should perhaps look at what Barnes brings to the team , not just scoring goals but his movement and his work rate when the Albion aren’t in possession of the ball.

Poyet feels Barnes deserves his regular staring place on merit. Going on to say the former Plymouth man gives the Albion options, and always wants to win and that the striker is a very important player for the Albion.

Barnes is contacted to the Seagulls until July 2013.

Poyet however wouldn’t be drawn on other individual contracts. Stating that what concerns him is, when a player has a three year deal, sometimes an agent will try and renegotiate that with eighteen months still left. The Albion boss feels a three year deal means they play for three years, then if they are good enough be rewarded with a new deal.

Only a few exceptional players have the right to renegotiate midterm. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time left, said the Seagulls boss.

Tim, SERIOUSLY. I know you think people knock you for a giggle, or because it's somehow fashionable to. It's not that, it's that your spelling and grammar are atrocious. You've quoted Poyet directly and haven't used speech marks once. You put full stops in the middle of sentences, and spaces before commas. It's so bad it hurts. It's not even three paragraphs and there are so many glaring errors I want to punch something. Here, this took me five minutes. It's yours, take it.

The more vocal critics of Ashley Barnes don’t understand football, according to Albion boss Gus Poyet.

After Barnes has come in for some unfair criticism from certain quarters in recent weeks, Poyet has moved to back his young striker in public, lauding what he brings to the team with his movement and defensive endeavour, rather that focusing entirely on what happens in front of goal. "He gives me options," said Poyet; "He always wants to win and that makes him an important player for Brighton. He plays because he deserves to play."

With the season drawing toward a close, the inevitable conversation turns to contract renewals. Barnes himself is contracted for another season; whether the integral role he has played in Poyet's side this season justifies improved terms is yet to be seen. Poyet however wouldn’t be drawn to comment on individual players' prospects over new deals.

"When a player has a three year deal, sometimes an agent will try and renegotiate with eighteen months left. I say a three year deal means they play for three years, then if they are good enough we can talk about a new deal. Only a few special players with the extra quality can renegotiate when they have a year or more left. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time."

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Seriously @<a href="http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/member.php?u=1991" target="_blank">hove born&bred</a> I don't why you bother relaying news with the response you get from some of these troglodytes... thicker skin than most I guess!

Just looked up Troglodyte, and the first video Google returned was a Fatboy Slim collaboration with David Byrne of Talking Heads! Had no idea this existed, cheers for the article Tim (in a round about kind of way)!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You're welcome...

1: a member of any of various peoples (as in antiquity) who lived or were reputed to live chiefly in caves (which reminds me of quite a few here)
2: a person characterised by reclusive habits or outmoded or reactionary attitudes (which, again, reminds me of quite a few here)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Load of twaddle!

BUT

Gus has taken us almost from the depths of despair and almost to dreamland... He appears to know what he's doing!!!

Can we leave poor Ash alone for a bit, please?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
'kin 'ell, what a witch hunt. I quite enjoy these "in the know" threads and I don't need the prose to be impeccable to do so. Jeez get off the guy's back. Do you realise how petty and vindictive you make yourselves sound?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
'kin 'ell, what a witch hunt. I quite enjoy these "in the know" threads and I don't need the prose to be impeccable to do so. Jeez get off the guy's back. Do you realise how petty and vindictive you make yourselves sound?

I'm inclined to agree but if the guy has pretensions of being a 'journalist' a little constructive criticism is essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here