Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus says people who criticise Ashley Barnes don't understand football

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I'm inclined to agree but if the guy has pretensions of being a 'journalist' a little constructive criticism is essential.

I agree, if journalists can't be bothered to maintain grammatical standards, then who will?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Brighton & Hove Albion : Poyet – Barnes gives us options

By Tim Hodges

Gus Poyet feels that some of the fans who criticise Ashley Barnes don’t quite understand football.

The Albion boss thinks fans should perhaps look at what Barnes brings to the team , not just scoring goals but his movement and his work rate when the Albion aren’t in possession of the ball.

Poyet feels Barnes deserves his regular staring place on merit. Going on to say the former Plymouth man gives the Albion options, and always wants to win and that the striker is a very important player for the Albion.

Barnes is contacted to the Seagulls until July 2013.

Poyet however wouldn’t be drawn on other individual contracts. Stating that what concerns him is, when a player has a three year deal, sometimes an agent will try and renegotiate that with eighteen months still left. The Albion boss feels a three year deal means they play for three years, then if they are good enough be rewarded with a new deal.

Only a few exceptional players have the right to renegotiate midterm. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time left, said the Seagulls boss.

Gus is a dictator

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Brighton & Hove Albion : Poyet –

Only a few exceptional players have the right to renegotiate midterm. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time left, said the Seagulls boss.

Shame you couldn't have made that exception for GM.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Might I suggest that a possible reason for the weird relaying of Gus' quotes and minimal direct quotes could be that, assuming he doesn't record the press conference and isn't able to write in shorthand, Tim understandably can't keep up with it and can only get a couple of quotes verbatim?

If not... well I've got no explanation for the style of quoting.

Stumpy Tim

child-drawing.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The more vocal critics of Ashley Barnes don’t understand football, according to Albion boss Gus Poyet.

After Barnes has come in for some unfair criticism from certain quarters in recent weeks, Poyet has moved to back his young striker in public, lauding what he brings to the team with his movement and defensive endeavour, rather that focusing entirely on what happens in front of goal. "He gives me options," said Poyet; "He always wants to win and that makes him an important player for Brighton. He plays because he deserves to play."

With the season drawing toward a close, the inevitable conversation turns to contract renewals. Barnes himself is contracted for another season; whether the integral role he has played in Poyet's side this season justifies improved terms is yet to be seen. Poyet however wouldn’t be drawn to comment on individual players' prospects over new deals.

"When a player has a three year deal, sometimes an agent will try and renegotiate with eighteen months left. I say a three year deal means they play for three years, then if they are good enough we can talk about a new deal. Only a few special players with the extra quality can renegotiate when they have a year or more left. I don’t like players or agents asking for extensions when there is still time."

That's worse than HB&B's effort. At least Tim led with the most salient point - that Barnes's critics don't understand football - yours has a rambling opening with a 47-word opening sentence; it would get you on the wall-of-shame on most newsrooms.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The more vocal critics of Ashley Barnes don’t understand football, according to Albion boss Gus Poyet.

What about the less vocal critics of Ashley Barnes? The implication is that they DO understand football, whereas I think they are a bunch of deluded clowns who expect an unrealistic amount for a player on £1,600 a week, compared to some of his colleagues on six times that amount, and who have scored fewer goals...

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Might I suggest that a possible reason for the weird relaying of Gus' quotes and minimal direct quotes could be that, assuming he doesn't record the press conference and isn't able to write in shorthand, Tim understandably can't keep up with it and can only get a couple of quotes verbatim?

If not... well I've got no explanation for the style of quoting.

He should invest in a dictaphone like any good/lazy journalist.

To the OP did you leave school when kids were still allowed to go up chimneys? Seriously that hurt my eyes to read, I am still wiping the blood away.

D

Deleted User X18H

That's worse than HB&B's effort. At least Tim led with the most salient point - that Barnes's critics don't understand football - yours has a rambling opening with a 47-word opening sentence; it would get you on the wall-of-shame on most newsrooms.
Yeah!!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, it's really not though, that's an absolutely ridiculous statement. I'm not claiming it to be worth a Pulitzer, but one thing is for sure, as it's in English, it's by default way better than HB&B's effort. If my pissed 1am redrafting of his nonsense would make a wall of shame, I dread to think where his would be. He can't use speech marks, commas or full stops. If he's trying to be a journalist that's sort of a minimum requirement, wouldn't you say?

Whilst you are absolutely right that that sentence is far, far too long, it took me five minutes to translate his gibberish. Five. If I was in his position I probably would have taken, I don't know, ten minutes- long enough to redraft? Breaking that overly long sentence into two would take perhaps another 20 seconds. He's a joke and I'm sorry, but I don't actually see how, as a published article, it could BE any worse, unless he got a cat to walk across the keyboard and just went with whatever letters appeared on the screen. I'm not convinced that isn't his method to be honest.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Dictaphone! It's a long time since I've heard that word. If Tim bought himself a voice recorder with a microphone he could then download the actual briefing on here and the reporting Police would only have Gus's grammar and pronunciation to bite on.
Some of the stuff on here really needs a special section as in Gold and The other stuff, call it Keyboard Warriors. Put all the groundless vitriol for Barnes and occasionally other players, Gulleys Girls, HBandB, Cats etc. into a place where it's obvious where it comes from and you don't have to look at it if you don't want to, and you know what you get if you do look.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Riiiiight, so assuming that Gus did say that people who criticise Barnes don't understand football and IF we assume by 'criticise' he means give him grief at a game - then he's right, isn't he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here