NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice to see its a no news day..................................oh

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Racism is ok right up until someone gets hurt. Let me clarify that statement a bit, terrible as it sounds. I'm perfectly capable of being casually racist with my black friends as a joke and they're happy to return it in kind and no-one at all is offended it's just ribbing between mates. I would NEVER say something that could be construed as racist in front of someone I didn't know or someone I do who might take offence at it. Suarez is the very definition of a horrible little bugger though so I have no doubt in my mind that he insulted Evra and should be reported. Gus is right in the sense that in the world today (particularly England,) pc has gone absolutely mad, it's starting to get ridiculous but discrimination based on race/religion/credo is never acceptable and if Evra genuinely was offended that seriously he was right to report it.
I would agree with all of that.

Racism was stamped out with such force, that degrees of racism have never really been considered. This is why the issue was lampooned in The Office. But the issue here is that there Suarez used the colour of Evra's skin as a tool to offend. You can't excuse that and Gus is a cock for not realising that.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Gus is a moron for commenting on this as the pc brigade will try to lynch him for anything remotely controversial. (which is basically what my mum always told me when i was about 5 - 'dont be such a girl just play football and insult him back')

Personally i think the whole issue is blown out of proportion anyway. If you want to start trying to edit what players say on the pitch you need to include all insults and swearing otherwise its unmanageable. You also need to weight all racist slurs equally which definitely doesn't happen, if it was Suarez or ji-sung park accusing evra this wouldnt have even had a mention in the press.

Saying that, racism isnt nice and we all want it out of the game but i dont think gus, Suarez or even john terry would argue with that and thats not what gus was saying at all.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, that really was car crash radio.

Like most fans I love Gus' passion and his interviews are never dull but his views there sounded pre-historic. He was completely in the wrong and he will rightly get lambasted left, right and centre. Living in this country as long as he has he should know that saying that sort of thing is not acceptable here, he even made that point himself.

Knowing the way Gus can react to criticism (which he is rightly now going to get in a very big way), I would not be at all surprised if he really threw his toys out of the pram and threatens to leave the country?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The reaction of a mate of mine to Poyet's talksport interview:

"Gus Poyet on the 'English conception' of racism and the allegations against Luis Suarez: "Just because you all drive on the right , do you expect the whole world to follow you?" "There cant be racism on an individual to individual level" Astonished."

I didn't hear it but he certainly sounds like he's digging a hole. All he needed to do was come out pure and simple and say he believed Suarez and Evra has made the whole thing up....could get very serious depending on the club's response (which presumably can only be to distance themselves from his comments?).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ok For All you fans of Fighting Talk on Radio 5 Live

Blatter and Poyet are right and the rest of the world is out of step.

Of course this should have been settled over a handshake. It is ridiculous to suggest that privileged millionaires like Evra and Ferdinand have somehow been damaged by a little bit of name calling on the football pitch. That is not to say they are the villains of the piece, what is wrong with offering an apology Terry ?? Suarez ?? You may not believe that what you have said is racist, but if this is the way that someone else interprets it man up and apologise.

I am all in favour of stamping out racism, but to make a bit of playground name calling amongst the privilege and protected the issue of the day, seriously demeans the issue.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
that is what the journalists want you to believe. But if you read the article carefully you will see he says he thinks Suarez did not say anything.

So from that, the point being made is that the 'cry baby' comment is a reference to the consideration that Gus believes it's a FALSE accusation of racism.

If that's so, he's still better off keeping his own counsel until the issue is cleared up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But what if he didn't? That's the exact issue here. As far as Poyet sees it he thinks Evra has NOT been racially insulted yet Suarez is being charged with it anyway.

Sorry Chappers, I normally agree with you, but the outcry here is not that he thinks Suarez didn't racially abuse Evra, it is the fact he says that he suffered 7 years abuse in Spain and dealt with it, and that Evra should stop being such a cry baby.

I've got Talksport on, and he's had a shocker. He could have left it at sticking by his buddy, but the other stuff, christ on a bike, I don't know what he was thinking.

Regardless of whether Suarez is cleared or not, it's a shocking statement to make at a time 2 separate racists complaints are being handled at this time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm guessing Bushy had a late night last night?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Your missing the point he said as he put up with racist abuse for years others should accept it and not be cry babys. Them comments are shocking.

I don't quite read it as that. I think he's saying that Evra wasn't called anything particularly bad - certainly not as bad as has been construed - and that in football that sort of abuse happens all the time between players, and fans, and players should be able to take it on the chin.

By that, I don't mean that Evra should be fine with any truely racist comments. I mean that he shouldn't get so upset about a comment that supposedly wasn't that racist, or at least not intended as so, as surely Suarez was just trying to wind him up, as happens throughout the game every day.

If it comes out that what Suarez said was infact racist then I take all of the above back. But I doubt Gus would support him so closely if that was the case.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Just proving a point, I think it has all been blown out of context and so far no one has any proof this happened

How do you know the fa won't charge someone if they have no case. Just as we don't know the evidence don't mean there is not any

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
that is what the journalists want you to believe. But if you read the article carefully you will see he says he thinks Suarez did not say anything.
This is true. The problem is that Gus also made the other statement regarding not 'crying like a baby' and when you cut and paste the quotes you want, you can tailor the story to give a different opinion, using quotes Gus has actually said.

It's not good.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
How do you know the fa won't charge someone if they have no case. Just as we don't know the evidence don't mean there is not any
Fair point but if there is or isnt we dont know so we are guilty of "jumping the gun" choosing which side to beleive but we dont actualy know do we

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Why is he getting involved??
Surely this can only detract from the job in hand. Playing well at Southampton on Saturday.
This can only act as a distraction.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surprised we haven't seen more Palace fans on here chortling away along the lines of: "Ha! Some Brighton fans got all precious about perceived homophobic abuse and now it turns out your manager is a racist!"

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Anyone get the feeling the club will have to take a similar stance that the FA had to with Hoddle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All we have is an alligation from one player about another, as yet there is no evidence

We all know there is no evidence in the public domain. I'm not sure where you're going with this line of thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here