Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Leaving for pastures new thread

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Great post, only let down by the usual Harry Redknapp - England manager nonsense. I love how this one has been agreed despite the fact it would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION TRILLION YEARS.

I did say "if" he takes over from Fabio and I think you are right that so many people have gone on about it that it has been taken as a dead cert!...I for one do not want him anywhere near the England job.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there a chance that this seemingly certain attitude that Harry will get the England job going to affect things? With so many people viewing it as the natural progression, is there not a chance the FA will act accordingly, especially if they feel it will get the fans on side?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is there a chance that this seemingly certain attitude that Harry will get the England job going to affect things? With so many people viewing it as the natural progression, is there not a chance the FA will act accordingly, especially if they feel it will get the fans on side?

Onside? In the absence of the FA providing a linesman I will raise the flag - Redknapp is a million miles off side in my book. No way I want that crook near my national team. :tantrum:

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Onside? In the absence of the FA providing a linesman I will raise the flag - Redknapp is a million miles off side in my book. No way I want that crook near my national team. :tantrum:

Well if my football manager 2010 career game is anything to go by, he got the job before the 2012 Euro's.
???

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well if my football manager 2010 career game is anything to go by, he got the job before the 2012 Euro's.
???

god help us. Hope the FA throw the book at him and see if he really does boycott tele that would be the nail in the coffin of his England hopes

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and I have to say, I am not quite so pessimistic as everyone else. The way he talks about loyatly and values I just cannot see him walking away so easily. Another thing is I do not think he sees us as that much of a stepping stone...It is not like he has joined a club like Lincoln or Port Vale. He said as much he wanted to wait for the right job to come along and we matched what he was looking for when he applied. Poyet did his homework and with the backing and the Amex taking shape he knows we are a club with potential and can go far...I know it is some way off but this club is gearing itself for the Premier League, which Poyet would never be able to reach being in charge of the aforementioned Vale and the Imps.

Now they would be clubs (and those of similar ilk) he would use as a step-up as he could realistically only take them as far as the Championship. Gus knows he can go much further than that here which is also why I believe he will not leave us for a Championship club. There would be on point in joining even a decent sized Championship club as although they would have designs on promotion to the Premier League, I like to think we have those aspirations too. Likewise with established middle of the road Premier League teams, such as Stoke or Bolton, there is no reason why the Albion (with Poyet) can match them in time. If we do go-up this season I cannot see Gus jumping into one of those positions as he probably thinks he can get us into a similar situation himself...Why just leapfrog into the Premier League for the sake of it when he can take his current club there? Surely, that is more of an achievement?

Another thing is Poyet himself has talked about being here for a long time. I genuinely reckon that he feels he can really build up this club. Off the pitch the foundations are (quite literally) being laid and Gus is doing the same with the playing side...The creation of the development squad and appointing his own coaches and scouts who all given the brief on the way we play. From the first team to the kids the coaches will be teaching the Albion way so he must want to see youngsters, reserve/development players progress into first teamers. Likewise with the scouting, Poyet does not just want any player coming in and has informed the scouts as such. Any new recruits need to be able to play the Albion way. Like all this talk of the getting a striker in the summer, there were plenty that could have been available but we need the right kind of player.

Gus must know that he can go places here so will be in it for the long-haul. That said it is inevitable that he would depart at somepoint but I think it would it take something special for that. I think it has been jokingly said that there is a list of clubs that Poyet would be allowed to talk to if they came calling and I would not be surprised if that was actually true...Especially as he made a quip about taking over at Real Madrid if there was a chance. Now we can all speculate on who could be on this list but in my opinion it would definitely include Chelsea and Spurs for obvious reasons and would probably be backed by the remaining 6 really big clubs in The Premier League (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa & Man City). But to even be considered for any of these jobs he would need to do something pretty special. The main worry would be if 'Arry takes over from Fabio after Euro 2012 but hopefully that will come too soon for Gus as a manager. The other one to look at would be City as I would imagine that will become a regular vacancy over the next few years but would expect them to appoint managers with a higher profile. Anyway, as I said to be even considered for any of these jobs he will need to do something spectacular and that can only be good for us.

I really feel that Gus is looking to seriously build us up and is here for the long term so I am in no mood to worry. But anyway, I think I am looking too forward into the future here so let us all enjoy the ride on the bus.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Great post Thimble.
I feel very much the same. It was interesting reading Gus' comments on the development squad, and that once that was settled, he was going to start working down to the academy and juniors.
I dont know, I just feel that he knows that he has a chance to REALLY make his mark on English football.
Why can't he become a Ferguson. A manager who knows exactly what he wants. Has the tactics and squad to be a force. But more importantly, runs the teams as he wants. Total control. With the aid of TB.
Along with the prospect of a 'state of the art' training complex, why would you want to move? Equally, being the manager of a financially stable club, why go to The Prem, to some club in the shit, moneywise.

bagsy

Aug 9, 2008
One major thing that will keep other clubs away from sniffing at the door is that brighton are paying him Prem wages at the mo.....so i think he is here to stay........

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
QPR in a couple of years time, heard it here first. They have money to reach Prem and Warnock is ideal person to get them there, but not to then manage them up there. We will be a mid table Championship team :thumbsup: but Prem in couple of years is crazy talk!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
QPR in a couple of years time, heard it here first. They have money to reach Prem and Warnock is ideal person to get them there, but not to then manage them up there. We will be a mid table Championship team :thumbsup: but Prem in couple of years is crazy talk!

Get real, QPR are a small time London team living on past glories - think Leyton Orient wearing horizontal blue and white stripes and having a decent run of results and essentially you've got QPR. For Gustalavista baby to leave us for them would be a very unambitious move...and that ain't 'imho'.... that's fact!

Get real, QPR are a small time London team living on past glories - think Leyton Orient wearing horizontal blue and white stripes and having a decent run of results and essentially you've got QPR. For Gustalavista baby to leave us for them would be a very unambitious move...and that ain't 'imho'.... that's fact!

QPR aren't going anywhere fast. You're not promoted yet either, by the way.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My Arsenal-supporting, football-journalist friend texted me tonight to say that Poyet would be off at the end of this season. Shit me up, big time. How much compensation would we get if, God forbid, Gus did leave?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here