Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Leaving for pastures new thread

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Oh I hope so, I thought that as well but fear I'll be laughed out! Fingers crossed.

If he does leave I wouldn't want to be Mr. Bloom trying to replace Poyet!?!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Will Gus be here in 4 years time? Most probably not.

Will he leave the club in a better position, with a better set up to continue for years to come? Definitely yes.

That's all it comes down to IMO, of course he is going to leave when a decent offer comes in from a bigger club, be in England or abroad, but until then lets just thank our lucky start that WE currently have one of the best up and coming managers in the world.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Today's printed version of the Argus has a good article by Andy Naylor on why he thinks Gus is not going anywhere at the moment. No doubt be on e version later.

Could you just type it out please.

:jester:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The more important thing imho, is Tony Bloom. His first managerial appointment is a young, progressive manager that has the team playing (according to others on here because I am in no position to judge) potentially the best football BHA have ever played. Should Gus leave, I would expect him to make a similar appointment.

Anyway, dont worry chaps!! If Gus leaves, he leaves. Nothing you or I can do about it. Just enjoy it whilst it lasts!!

I agree the chairman is the key. I think one of the reasons the negotiations for a four year deal in the summer was slow, was due to Gus wanting to manage the whole club, including the youth set up, development squad and the reserves. At the moment, the whole set up is playing his way and improving.
Gus more or less said on SSN this morning that once we are in the championship, it was down to the club and the chairman. I presume that to mean that it would be up to TB to provide the funds to improve the squad again.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
You never know in football do you? A great offer could come at any time - a decent club prepared to take a punt on the potential he is showing and he might well be tempted. But like you I think it would have to be a Premiership club (or the same level elsewhere) before he would consider it.

At the moment and for the moment we offer everything an ambitious young manager could want including an element of job security and time to learn and build that he is unlikely to be offered elsewhere.That will change of course and unless we make the Championship and then move rapidly upwards there will come a point when it is right for him to leave. No disrespect to Charlie but Gus and Tanno are the brains of the outfit and when they do go it will be key for Tony Bloom to be no less ambitious in replacing them. What that might involve will depend on where we are when it happens. We can rest assured it will be higher than it is now.

That's a good call. Poyet would be daft to leave before Albion play at Falmer.

But if they really came good in the Championship, the whole of Europe, particularly Spanish clubs, would be after him I think.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He's in no hurry to leave us. He wants to build this club and try and take it to the top

and once we are in the new stadium we have the capability to reach the very top ........which is what he is building for ,so why would he leave.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and I have to say, I am not quite so pessimistic as everyone else. The way he talks about loyatly and values I just cannot see him walking away so easily. Another thing is I do not think he sees us as that much of a stepping stone...It is not like he has joined a club like Lincoln or Port Vale. He said as much he wanted to wait for the right job to come along and we matched what he was looking for when he applied. Poyet did his homework and with the backing and the Amex taking shape he knows we are a club with potential and can go far...I know it is some way off but this club is gearing itself for the Premier League, which Poyet would never be able to reach being in charge of the aforementioned Vale and the Imps.

Now they would be clubs (and those of similar ilk) he would use as a step-up as he could realistically only take them as far as the Championship. Gus knows he can go much further than that here which is also why I believe he will not leave us for a Championship club. There would be on point in joining even a decent sized Championship club as although they would have designs on promotion to the Premier League, I like to think we have those aspirations too. Likewise with established middle of the road Premier League teams, such as Stoke or Bolton, there is no reason why the Albion (with Poyet) can match them in time. If we do go-up this season I cannot see Gus jumping into one of those positions as he probably thinks he can get us into a similar situation himself...Why just leapfrog into the Premier League for the sake of it when he can take his current club there? Surely, that is more of an achievement?

Another thing is Poyet himself has talked about being here for a long time. I genuinely reckon that he feels he can really build up this club. Off the pitch the foundations are (quite literally) being laid and Gus is doing the same with the playing side...The creation of the development squad and appointing his own coaches and scouts who all given the brief on the way we play. From the first team to the kids the coaches will be teaching the Albion way so he must want to see youngsters, reserve/development players progress into first teamers. Likewise with the scouting, Poyet does not just want any player coming in and has informed the scouts as such. Any new recruits need to be able to play the Albion way. Like all this talk of the getting a striker in the summer, there were plenty that could have been available but we need the right kind of player.

Gus must know that he can go places here so will be in it for the long-haul. That said it is inevitable that he would depart at somepoint but I think it would it take something special for that. I think it has been jokingly said that there is a list of clubs that Poyet would be allowed to talk to if they came calling and I would not be surprised if that was actually true...Especially as he made a quip about taking over at Real Madrid if there was a chance. Now we can all speculate on who could be on this list but in my opinion it would definitely include Chelsea and Spurs for obvious reasons and would probably be backed by the remaining 6 really big clubs in The Premier League (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa & Man City). But to even be considered for any of these jobs he would need to do something pretty special. The main worry would be if 'Arry takes over from Fabio after Euro 2012 but hopefully that will come too soon for Gus as a manager. The other one to look at would be City as I would imagine that will become a regular vacancy over the next few years but would expect them to appoint managers with a higher profile. Anyway, as I said to be even considered for any of these jobs he will need to do something spectacular and that can only be good for us.

I really feel that Gus is looking to seriously build us up and is here for the long term so I am in no mood to worry. But anyway, I think I am looking too forward into the future here so let us all enjoy the ride on the bus.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and I have to say, I am not quite so pessimistic as everyone else. The way he talks about loyatly and values I just cannot see him walking away so easily. Another thing is I do not think he sees us as that much of a stepping stone...It is not like he has joined a club like Lincoln or Port Vale. He said as much he wanted to wait for the right job to come along and we matched what he was looking for when he applied. Poyet did his homework and with the backing and the Amex taking shape he knows we are a club with potential and can go far...I know it is some way off but this club is gearing itself for the Premier League, which Poyet would never be able to reach being in charge of the aforementioned Vale and the Imps.

Now they would be clubs (and those of similar ilk) he would use as a step-up as he could realistically only take them as far as the Championship. Gus knows he can go much further than that here which is also why I believe he will not leave us for a Championship club. There would be on point in joining even a decent sized Championship club as although they would have designs on promotion to the Premier League, I like to think we have those aspirations too. Likewise with established middle of the road Premier League teams, such as Stoke or Bolton, there is no reason why the Albion (with Poyet) can match them in time. If we do go-up this season I cannot see Gus jumping into one of those positions as he probably thinks he can get us into a similar situation himself...Why just leapfrog into the Premier League for the sake of it when he can take his current club there? Surely, that is more of an achievement?

Another thing is Poyet himself has talked about being here for a long time. I genuinely reckon that he feels he can really build up this club. Off the pitch the foundations are (quite literally) being laid and Gus is doing the same with the playing side...The creation of the development squad and appointing his own coaches and scouts who all given the brief on the way we play. From the first team to the kids the coaches will be teaching the Albion way so he must want to see youngsters, reserve/development players progress into first teamers. Likewise with the scouting, Poyet does not just want any player coming in and has informed the scouts as such. Any new recruits need to be able to play the Albion way. Like all this talk of the getting a striker in the summer, there were plenty that could have been available but we need the right kind of player.

Gus must know that he can go places here so will be in it for the long-haul. That said it is inevitable that he would depart at somepoint but I think it would it take something special for that. I think it has been jokingly said that there is a list of clubs that Poyet would be allowed to talk to if they came calling and I would not be surprised if that was actually true...Especially as he made a quip about taking over at Real Madrid if there was a chance. Now we can all speculate on who could be on this list but in my opinion it would definitely include Chelsea and Spurs for obvious reasons and would probably be backed by the remaining 6 really big clubs in The Premier League (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa & Man City). But to even be considered for any of these jobs he would need to do something pretty special. The main worry would be if 'Arry takes over from Fabio after Euro 2012 but hopefully that will come too soon for Gus as a manager. The other one to look at would be City as I would imagine that will become a regular vacancy over the next few years but would expect them to appoint managers with a higher profile. Anyway, as I said to be even considered for any of these jobs he will need to do something spectacular and that can only be good for us.

I really feel that Gus is looking to seriously build us up and is here for the long term so I am in no mood to worry. But anyway, I think I am looking too forward into the future here so let us all enjoy the ride on the bus.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA
That saves my fingers a bit of a work out. Absolutely spot on in my opinion. Maybe add Newcastle to that list, but other than that, I can't see him going anywhere in the next couple of years.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Today's printed version of the Argus has a good article by Andy Naylor on why he thinks Gus is not going anywhere at the moment. No doubt be on e version later.

He did a decent article praising Tony for not firing Slade. Slade was gone two weeks later.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see why anyone feels that optimistic he will stay.

That's nothing against Poyet - who is a brilliant manager - but at the end of the day we've been out of the top flight for more than a quarter of a century, we were only there for 4 seasons anyway and are not regarded as a big club.

Even if Poyet got us into the Prem that would put us on a par with the likes of Bolton or Blackburn. A club like, say, West Ham are already massive with a rich history and bigger than both Lancashire clubs. We've already mentioned Leeds, but if West Ham came knocking it would be hard for Poyet to turn them down.

He'd also see a bit more of his son down the road at Charlton and be in London close to Dennis Wise and his Chelsea/Spurs mates, and I'm sure he'd back himself to make West Ham competitive again.

That said, I think he should stay because the Albion would look no more out of place in the Prem than Hull, Blackpool, Bradford, Reading etc, and Tony Bloom is an ambitious chairman.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And mine. Thimble Keegan - post of the day.

Great post, only let down by the usual Harry Redknapp - England manager nonsense. I love how this one has been agreed despite the fact it would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION TRILLION YEARS.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great post, only let down by the usual Harry Redknapp - England manager nonsense. I love how this one has been agreed despite the fact it would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION TRILLION YEARS.

This.

I know it's by a minority of people but why does this idea get aired at all? I've got just as much chance of being England manager as 'Arry has.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It doesn't feel like it's a minority any more. It's one of those things that's been said so many times it's just accepted as gospel now.

Harry Redknapp will never get anywhere near the England job. And I think deep down he knows it.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
This.

I know it's by a minority of people but why does this idea get aired at all? I've got just as much chance of being England manager as 'Arry has.

Agreed. He hasn't got a chance of being the England manager. Great post Mr Keegan by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here