Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Leaving for pastures new thread

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We get promoted 15 points clear this season with a team of sensibly prices players coached to make them stars.
Finish in playoff places in Championship next season using same methods.
Making Poyet a bankable manager on and off the pitch, good for fans and good for business.
Will be next Man U manager when Fergie goes! you heard it here first! (unless you heard it somewhere else).:eek:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
My Arsenal-supporting, football-journalist friend texted me tonight to say that Poyet would be off at the end of this season. Shit me up, big time. How much compensation would we get if, God forbid, Gus did leave?

Quite an impressive crystal ball he has got there then. Anything can happen between now and the end of the season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
On the radio last night Gus was explaining how he is here to build an empire (my word). Paraphrasing he said "If I was going to be here for one season then move on, I would focus entirely on the first team. I would not bother restructuring every aspect of the club and building a youth and development structure". It was a very good interview on BBC South or whatever it's called.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's not that brilliant is it, but of course to start with he used the players he inherited. When he is averaging two points a game overall though...

It is now...

Played 45 Won 22 Drawn 12 Lost 11 Pts 78

It is a very good record for a first job and, as you say, he inherited a dire team with lots of players that clearly were not good enough.

The fact that he has completely revolutionised our style of play in such a short space of time is no mean feat.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
On the radio last night Gus was explaining how he is here to build an empire (my word). Paraphrasing he said "If I was going to be here for one season then move on, I would focus entirely on the first team. I would not bother restructuring every aspect of the club and building a youth and development structure". It was a very good interview on BBC South or whatever it's called.

Excellent. I think he has been saying that all along hasn't he? Wont stop the rumours though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My Arsenal-supporting, football-journalist friend texted me tonight to say that Poyet would be off at the end of this season. Shit me up, big time. How much compensation would we get if, God forbid, Gus did leave?

Football journalists don't know everything, believe me. Quite a lot of the time they don't know anything.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some points.

1. Gus has been consistent in saying that he will stay unless someone makes him an offer that's too good to turn down. This is from my interview with him in the Independent on Sunday on October 10 - some parts almost word-for-word the same as the real Andy Naylor's piece.

"[The new stadium] is going to make it practically a new club, so I'm really looking forward to it."

Poyet's original contract was due to run out in June, but he and Tony Bloom, the chairman who bankrolled the new ground, agreed a four-year extension for Poyet and Mauricio Taricco, his assistant, last summer. "It took two minutes, and it means that I'm attached for the long term."

Many observers – and Poyet himself – were surprised his reputation had not led to offers from higher-placed clubs but since he has begun to prove himself, his name has been linked with any vacancy that has emerged. However, it would now take something special to prise him away from his project on the south coast.

"If it's something I couldn't refuse, even the chairman would say to me 'If you need to go, go'," he said. "But I won't say yes to just anything. I'm enjoying my time here, I think we can do better, we're playing the way I want, at the moment we're top. What more? Seriously, why? My aim, of course, is to manage at the top level, and that means the Premier League, or La Liga, or a national team. But I'm only 42, so I'm not in a hurry."

2. He was suprised not to get an offer from a Championship club, and I think he feels they had their chance and blew it. Leeds might be an exception, but I know he was miffed when Bates said he didn't offer him the job last time it was free because he didn't want to move north. Bates never even asked him. So that probably rules Leeds out.

3. I get the feeling that he thinks it would be too soon to move to a Premier League club.

4. The danger is Real Zaragoza. Gus considered buying into them earlier this year; he is still revered there after playing in the team that won the Cup Winners' Cup - and they're bottom of La Liga. He's already turned them down once, but he'd only been manager here for a month, so it was definitely too early. Next summer...?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Many observers – and Poyet himself – were surprised his reputation had not led to offers from higher-placed clubs but since he has begun to prove himself, his name has been linked with any vacancy that has emerged. However, it would now take something special to prise him away from his project on the south coast.

"If it's something I couldn't refuse, even the chairman would say to me 'If you need to go, go'," he said. "But I won't say yes to just anything. I'm enjoying my time here, I think we can do better, we're playing the way I want, at the moment we're top. What more? Seriously, why? My aim, of course, is to manage at the top level, and that means the Premier League, or La Liga, or a national team. But I'm only 42, so I'm not in a hurry."
I wish all managers were as honest as this. No-one would begrudge Gus the chance to manage a proper big club, like Chelsea. I don't expect him to do an Owen Coyle or Harry Redknapp though, and it is clear that he won't. It's not for no reason that he absolutely slaughtered Calde when it looked like he was about to jump ship in the summer, but loyalty works both ways and Poyet is sufficiently intelligent and articulate to recognise this.

If a top 6 club came knocking, I think we'd have to let him go. But there is no chance whatsoever of anyone else in England getting him in the next 18 months IMO.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wish all managers were as honest as this. No-one would begrudge Gus the chance to manage a proper big club, like Chelsea. I don't expect him to do an Owen Coyle or Harry Redknapp though, and it is clear that he won't. It's not for no reason that he absolutely slaughtered Calde when it looked like he was about to jump ship in the summer, but loyalty works both ways and Poyet is sufficiently intelligent and articulate to recognise this.

If a top 6 club came knocking, I think we'd have to let him go. But there is no chance whatsoever of anyone else in England getting him in the next 18 months IMO.

Perfect summation of the situation.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
4. The danger is Real Zaragoza. Gus considered buying into them earlier this year; he is still revered there after playing in the team that won the Cup Winners' Cup - and they're bottom of La Liga. He's already turned them down once, but he'd only been manager here for a month, so it was definitely too early. Next summer...?

That worries me as well but very insecure and pretty much skint club and will most likely be in the second level of Spain, so would it be all that?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that he would go to a top club like Chelsea or Arsaenal as their next manager can only go 1 way. The problem is a side just outside of the top 6 who he believes have the potential to make it to the very top. I have said all along I believe that he will be here for about 4 years and either get us to the Prem or knocking on the door and will then leave for Real Zarragosa the next step then is manager of Uraguay.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I agree. What Gus is doing for the Seagulls is laying down a foundation for how the club can go forward even in his absence. It is what Barcelona did under Cryuff. He established a style of play that went through the core of the club, and whenever they need a new manager, they select a candidate based on their ability to manage that style, and in that way, it is a blueprint for who they hire.

If Gus does go, then Bloom knows the candidates he should be looking at by judging their work with youth development, and playing what could start to become known as 'The Brighton Way'. In Gus we trust.:thumbsup:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I agree. What Gus is doing for the Seagulls is laying down a foundation for how the club can go forward even in his absence. It is what Barcelona did under Cryuff. He established a style of play that went through the core of the club, and whenever they need a new manager, they select a candidate based on their ability to manage that style, and in that way, it is a blueprint for who they hire.

If Gus does go, then Bloom knows the candidates he should be looking at by judging their work with youth development, and playing what could start to become known as 'The Brighton Way'. In Gus we trust.:thumbsup:

It's ok having the foundations layed down by Gus but you then have to find the right manager to continue that style of football otherwise it's back to square one again.Finding that manager will prove to be a difficult task i feel.
We may have to look overseas for one.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
I am told that some Brighton fans have started to wonder how long they can keep Poyet before he is snapped up by a bigger club. But he still has much to prove and on Tuesday was talking about a long-term commitment to his current employer.

"A manager like Jose Mourinho might be trying to win league titles in many different countries," said Poyet. "But for most managers, when everything is working well at a club then the dream is to remain there for many, many years. Why not?"

quote from Paul Fletcher BBC blogger - apologies if already said

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I too believe the real reason for his continuation would be T Bloom and his commitment to the betterment of the club. If/when we go up TB has to show this commitment and in/if doing so I believe Gus will continue. He obviously doesn't expect to be bankrolled to success but a healthy competitive budget should show Gus that he has the backing. I for have no doubt TB will give Gus what he wants and requires to take this club up and up.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

You have pretty much put into a nutshell what I said in big post yesterday. I doubt very much a club outside the top 6-7 have a chance of getting him at all...This is mainly due to the fact I reckon Poyet genuinely believes he can get us there and therefore taking the quick route should have no appeal...Also, without trying to go all Quantum Leap on everyone (not that I used to watch it) but if he jumps from us too soon I think he will end up going from club to club and having more managerial jobs than Steve Bruce!

Also, as said, we would all understand if Gus joined a proper big club but for that to happen he would need to achieve something pretty special and all being well, that will be whilst in charge of the ALBION. I think Poyet can really build us up and can see himself being here for a very long time...He is far away from leaving his legacy just yet.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here