Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet In or Out

Gus Poyet In or Out

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Definitely in. The guy is a legend and it will be a very sad day for me when he leaves the club.

Why is everyone in such a hurry? We've been back in a championship just over a year and are comfortably a mid table side, we don't have a divine right to be pushing for promotion and are competing against teams who have spent years in the Premier league with huge budgets.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What an embarrassing thread.

We are in a slightly sticky patch, yes. But last night we lost AWAY to the league LEADERS after missing a penalty.

Hardly a bloody CRISIS.

This league is, frankly, BONKERS. Realistically I would say 15 of the teams have 'promotion' or 'playoffs' as their aim. We are

This. Methinks some people have some rather unrealistic expectations at the moment. And no, I'm not harping on about the old "don't forget where we've come from" argument, but reading some of the stuff here from last night it seems some people are expecting us to have walked this division and waltzed straight into the Premiership.

Personally I'm pretty happy currently sitting 9th in the table, just 2 points outside the play-offs. Yes, I agree we need to find someone who is going to bang the ball into the old onion bag pretty sharpish, but Gus out? Come off it.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Of course Gus wants a new attacking player/striker, managers always do when they don't win but if you were Bloom would you trust him to buy yet again.

Murray/Forster - didn't get on with Gus left club
Kaznga - Great in Div 1 but now deemed not good enough
CMS - Great effort but at this level lacks killer instinct
Noone - Seemed good at start but relegated to the bench/left club
Barnes - Regular starter OK goals return but not going to be a 20 goal man we need
Buckley - The one success but injury prone
Hoskins, Paynter, Dobbie, Wood etc etc

The list goes on, while Gus has assembled a good defence, Bridge and Bruno in particular and midfield, we could end up with a 50 man squad full of rejected strikers, none of which we can sell, when they prove not good enough. His choice of attacking players/strikers and ability to deal with the more egotistical type of player the good ones usually is question mark over him I believe.
I can't see the style of football we play suiting many UK strikers so unless Bloom shells out for a £5 million+ man and the silly wages they ask for (which I hope he never does) it's gonna be Groundhog day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brings to mind how close Alex Ferguson got to the sack due to fans impatience. Gus is undoubtably the right man for the job imo. It sounds like we were really unlucky after a shit start last night. I can't see how anyone can blam Gus for missed penalties and chances, it happens to ALL teams. By the same token it seem that Barnes had a storming game but it just didn't happen for him in front of goal. He will come good again. Yes Gus needs to accept that we need an out and out target man and that is my main criticism of him.

We need to move the ball faster but this will come once we start scoring and rebuilding confidence.

Far too many knee jerk reactions on here at the moment, remember the Leicester manager was also a couple of games from the boot earlier in the season and where are they now?

Is this Grounhog day btw, didn't we have this EXACT scenario about this time last season but conceded far more goals, we are a work in progress.

Have patience...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Everyone has to wake up to the fact that he is not going to be the next Guardiola.

He is an ok manager but his brand of football will hold him back and all teams he manages.

He has brought many positives to our club but unfortunately many negatives as well. All the while he pushes this negative style of play we will languish in mid table.

That is as far as he can take us.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Our goal difference is the second best in the league. We are losing by smaller margins, and can therefore turn this around quicker than last year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brings to mind how close Alex Ferguson got to the sack due to fans impatience. Gus is undoubtably the right man for the job imo. It sounds like we were really unlucky after a shit start last night. I can't see how anyone can blam Gus for missed penalties and chances, it happens to ALL teams. By the same token it seem that Barnes had a storming game but it just didn't happen for him in front of goal. He will come good again. Yes Gus needs to accept that we need an out and out target man and that is my main criticism of him.

We need to move the ball faster but this will come once we start scoring and rebuilding confidence.

Far too many knee jerk reactions on here at the moment, remember the Leicester manager was also a couple of games from the boot earlier in the season and where are they now?

Is this Grounhog day btw, didn't we have this EXACT scenario about this time last season but conceded far more goals, we are a work in progress.

Have patience...

Weren't Reading fans grumbling about McDermott, this time last year?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why do you say that?

Half our defence are basicallly WINGERS. We have about 4 actual tricky wingers. We pass the ball. We attempt to play.

No one who has ever watched any league 2, league 1, Most of the championship and much of the premier league can POSSIBLY claim we play negative football.

We dont conceede few and score few due to NEGATIVITY. We are GOOD at the back and currently struggling to break down teams.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"negative" is the wrong word. Attritional might be more accurate, and we seem to be risk averse at the moment too. Whilst our full-backs do tend to get forward, we don't see enough of our midfielders bombing forward to get on the end of their good work.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Half our defence are basicallly WINGERS. We have about 4 actual tricky wingers. We pass the ball. We attempt to play.

No one who has ever watched any league 2, league 1, Most of the championship and much of the premier league can POSSIBLY claim we play negative football.

We dont conceede few and score few due to NEGATIVITY. We are GOOD at the back and currently struggling to break down teams.

We play in the wrong areas.

On Saturday we had 69% possession but when we were passing a bit forwards but mostly sideways Middlesbrough were content to let us do it because it was largely in our own half.

Middlesbrough however had 31% possession most of it in our half and scored one lucky goal and carved out 2 excellent opportunities.

When we are on song we play some lovely stuff and its a joy to watch but when we are off our game which comes in big patches we are tedious.

Do you honestly believe that this brand of football is going to take us up to the Premiership?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thing is I can take losing f*** me have I seen some defeats in the past but it just seems so PREDICTABLE. Team score job done. Would rather take a 3-2 defeat at the moment than the obligatory 1-0.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
"negative" is the wrong word. Attritional might be more accurate, and we seem to be risk averse at the moment too. Whilst our full-backs do tend to get forward, we don't see enough of our midfielders bombing forward to get on the end of their good work.

We are just so slow and sloppy collectively as a team- our failed pass rate must be up there with the worst in the league.

Whatever happens Poyet should of course stay until the end of the season but with the amount of money he has spent in the last two years I'm sure Tony, and most of us fans, would be expecting a better than mid table finish (even if we just miss out on the play offs).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thing is I can take losing f*** me have I seen some defeats in the past but it just seems so PREDICTABLE. Team score job done. Would rather take a 3-2 defeat at the moment than the obligatory 1-0.

I agree with you, as 1-0 defeats seem to be more frustrating as you know it would only take one goal to change things around. At least with 3-2 defeats, there's been something to cheer.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
This Gus out business is utterly ridiculous. So in. Some of the players need to really step up and earn there corn though. Too many under par in lat five games. Would like to see some changes in next two games.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We play in the wrong areas.

On Saturday we had 69% possession but when we were passing a bit forwards but mostly sideways Middlesbrough were content to let us do it because it was largely in our own half.

Middlesbrough however had 31% possession most of it in our half and scored one lucky goal and carved out 2 excellent opportunities.

When we are on song we play some lovely stuff and its a joy to watch but when we are off our game which comes in big patches we are tedious.

Do you honestly believe that this brand of football is going to take us up to the Premiership?

Boro's 2 excellent chances were when we had all completely pushed up.

Regarding the sideways passing that HAS to be done. If there is no gap in front then you move it on and look for a new opportunity. Boro defended SO deep as they had people like Woodgate (who played for REAL MADRID, remember) who had no pace so basically packed the area. Hitting it pointlessly forward would have done nothing. Also we missed about 3 guilt-edged chances. If we had scored 2 no one would be complaining and would have praised our patience in breaking down a defensive team.

When you watch Barca (and before someone says it, no i'm not comparing us to them), they continually play it sideways at home. They HAVE to. However they are brilliant at spotting that split second opportunity where we are not quite there yet.

We have been outdone by negative teams at the Amex (which is not a criticism, it's a game plan).

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Boro's 2 excellent chances were when we had all completely pushed up.

Regarding the sideways passing that HAS to be done. If there is no gap in front then you move it on and look for a new opportunity. Boro defended SO deep as they had people like Woodgate (who played for REAL MADRID, remember) who had no pace so basically packed the area. Hitting it pointlessly forward would have done nothing. Also we missed about 3 guilt-edged chances. If we had scored 2 no one would be complaining and would have praised our patience in breaking down a defensive team.

When you watch Barca (and before someone says it, no i'm not comparing us to them), they continually play it sideways at home. They HAVE to. However they are brilliant at spotting that split second opportunity where we are not quite there yet.

We have been outdone by negative teams at the Amex (which is not a criticism, it's a game plan).

When you watch Barca they play a lot of sideways passes but they move forward and end up pinning the other team in their 18 yard box.

We just play sideways move forward a bit and then get pushed back into our own half or back to the keeper.

For me we play possession football for the sake of it and have no purpose.

Barca are always looking for the ball forward whereas we are always looking for the ball backward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here