Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus furious over not playing Boxing day

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Not too different from recent performances then Gus?... Which you should be concentrating more on I'd think...

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Obviously you guys havant be going to football long enough to know the importance of Boxing Day football .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's all about Leeds, Gus, don't distract yourself.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Obviously you guys havant be going to football long enough to know the importance of Boxing Day football .
Oh I think they have. It IS a bit of a joke I agree, but I've been going to football since 1965 and even I think the lack of a Boxing Day game shouldn't be Poyet's biggest concern right now. I grant you it's 'traditional', but then so is playing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday. I'd have more sympathy with Poyet if he was also complaining about how ridiculous it is to be playing football at 8 o'clock on a Friday night.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Should focus on the on pitch stuff, that's his job.

Would prefer to hear his honest and meaningful views on why the wheels have fallen off and what he's going to do about it

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oh I think they have. It IS a bit of a joke I agree, but I've been going to football since 1965 and even I think the lack of a Boxing Day game shouldn't be Poyet's biggest concern right now. I grant you it's 'traditional', but then so is playing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday. I'd have more sympathy with Poyet if he was also complaining about how ridiculous it is to be playing football at 8 o'clock on a Friday night.
thats nothing it will be 10 pm soon now the US have trebled their tv money

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Christ what is he supposed to do? Refuse to answer the question because he is 'concentrating' on Leeds? Change the record...

Of course he should answer questions about anything. I've not seen the article, but I'd really like to see a post saying there's an interview with Gus giving his thoughts on what's gone wrong and what he's going to do about it. I've listed to each pre and post match interview over the past weeks and can honestly say I've no idea what he's done or going to do to improve our performances - that's what I was getting at.

Maybe I'm just missing the nuances

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I totally agree with Gus. It makes the club look pathetic. It sends a crap message to the players; the club expects them to give their all but the admin bods roll over at the hint of difficulty. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Christ what is he supposed to do? Refuse to answer the question because he is 'concentrating' on Leeds? Change the record...

To be honest, and I really want Gus to succeed, I think that unless he sorts out our slump, and gets a fair haul of points in our next 6 or 7 games, the only reason that he need worry about the date of this fixture is if he takes over at Millwall.

At least we haven't had the customary ' Leeds is such a big club, I'd love to manage them' quote yet.

Please Gus, sort it out. If you have spare time then study the videos on Leeds, and then study them some more. We seem to have no way of getting a win anymore, we really need some answers.

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If we would have been playing a team like Charlton it wouldn't have been an issue. The issue is that we're playing Millwall as the police always categorise them as high risk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you were surprised by this decision, when the fixtures were announced in June.
You obviously haven't been going to football recent enough to know the game was NEVER going to take place.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think the club have messed up really, somebody on the operations side has neglected to consider the Boxing Day transport and has also forgotten to talk to the University about open days etc. Its minor in the grand scheme, but important enough to have attention from our new management team. Fans are the ones paying the price.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Should focus on the on pitch stuff, that's his job.

Would prefer to hear his honest and meaningful views on why the wheels have fallen off and what he's going to do about it

Honestly don't think he could answer that question. The peaks arrive ( 5 straight wins )knocking it about, scoring for fun, looking terrific. Then, without warning, the wheels fall off and Gus seems powerless to do anything about it.
Theory One.....he doesn't know his best side or formation and continually tinkers, trying to come up with the ideal. Players are unsettled and knocked out of their stride. Some seem to have pretty fragile confidence and it doesn't take too much to dent it.
Theory Two....Gus is not a brilliant ' dressing room ' manager ( e.g Mullery ) We start a lot of games too flat, knocking the ball about in second gear. The opposition grab the bull by the horns, we go a goal down, struggle starts. Most fans want to see us come out the traps quickly, pressing the oppo and creating chances. This..." lets take our time, be patient and build slowly " tactic is hugely frustrating. We clearly cannot chase games.
Theory Three...This peak and trough performance scenario only reflects Gus's own personality. Upbeat and positive and flying one minute. Puzzled, unsure and indecisive the next.
I know this thread started about Boxing Day ( and I agree with Gus about that ) but I am more concerned about the present and cannot put my finger precisely on what is going wrong.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you were surprised by this decision, when the fixtures were announced in June.
You obviously haven't been going to football recent enough to know the game was NEVER going to take place.

Exactly this. Sad but true, from the second the fixtures were released I was convinced this would be changed. It would have been easier if they had just switched the Millwall games, play at the Den on Boxing Day and home on 22 September.

Maybe in the future the club can get something sorted with Southern, the Bus company etc, but this ground was always about public transport, right from the off, without it, the ground doesn't work. The attempts to get hundreds of bus and rail staff to work on their boxing day, to open stations, to man signaling facilities, was unsuccessful this year, and it might be a while before they are successful, but it really is not embarrassing, it is not the clubs fault. Can you imagine the carnage if it had gone ahead, with no buses, no P&R, no trains? Now that would have made us a laughing stock.

(All IMO of course, others may think otherwise)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Honestly don't think he could answer that question. The peaks arrive ( 5 straight wins )knocking it about, scoring for fun, looking terrific. Then, without warning, the wheels fall off and Gus seems powerless to do anything about it.
Theory One.....he doesn't know his best side or formation and continually tinkers, trying to come up with the ideal. Players are unsettled and knocked out of their stride. Some seem to have pretty fragile confidence and it doesn't take too much to dent it.
Theory Two....Gus is not a brilliant ' dressing room ' manager ( e.g Mullery ) We start a lot of games too flat, knocking the ball about in second gear. The opposition grab the bull by the horns, we go a goal down, struggle starts. Most fans want to see us come out the traps quickly, pressing the oppo and creating chances. This..." lets take our time, be patient and build slowly " tactic is hugely frustrating. We clearly cannot chase games.
Theory Three...This peak and trough performance scenario only reflects Gus's own personality. Upbeat and positive and flying one minute. Puzzled, unsure and indecisive the next.
I know this thread started about Boxing Day ( and I agree with Gus about that ) but I am more concerned about the present and cannot put my finger precisely on what is going wrong.

Yes some reasonable assumptions there but I still think he could do a much better job of setting "our" expectations. Without giving too much away, is he going to make changes, what sorts of things might we expect, and can he have a stab at some of the fundamentals that lead to these performances? I don't even know if we started the season aiming for an auto spot, top 6 or another year of consolidation, so almost impossible to rate our performance v objective. Nice work if you can get it (set the objective as you go along) but I guess he and TB have something a little more specific!

Just airing my frustration I guess

As for Boxing Day it's a bummer but not sure what the point of venting in the Argus is (not seen it btw) when I think the fans and readers would like to see him give his views on just about anything else, and as said above it was never likely to happen anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here