Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus furious over not playing Boxing day

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reading the article it seems to me, reading between the lines, he's (at least in part) upset that since he has been in the country, winter breaks or christmas breaks are ruled out on the basis that boxing day is a tradition, you have to play boxing day! Yet here we are saying no, we can't play boxing day.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Pissed off too this game got moved and agree it is a embarrassment, with all the planning that went into getting our stadium are we to believe that the questions were never raised what happens on a high risk games over the public holidays.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's a shame we didn't have a home game last Boxing Day then I could have gone to Kempton Park to watch Kauto Star win the King George - I'll have to make do with him being paraded this year instead.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Am I missing something here, but why is this the club's problem? It is the train and bus companies not being able to put on enough trains and buses to deal with a football match. Not our fault at all IMHO

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Why would the travel companies pay out 2x, 2.5x or even 3x their normal hourly rate to at least 100 staff when a) this was probably not negotiated prior to the season start b) they could say no and it would be moved to a Tuesday night and not have to pay staff any overtime?

If BHA don't get it sorted with the travel companies that every other Boxing Day they will require transport to and from Falmer, then they will have f***ed up big time, again. Why the hell this wasn't thought about last season heaven knows, or was it?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I know this thread started about Boxing Day ( and I agree with Gus about that ) but I am more concerned about the present and cannot put my finger precisely on what is going wrong.

I can. we are not winning enough games or scoring enough goals

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can. we are not winning enough games or scoring enough goals

True, we need to put the white spherical thing in between the two post things with an upright and a net commonly known as a goal.

Maybe the north stand should do this:

[yt]xERydOGxfDk&[/yt]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Big bit in the Argus Poyet calling it a joke and embarrassing . I tend to agree

OTT.

Disappointing and unfortunate is my position.

I would have liked the rearranged fixture to be later rather than earlier. Perhaps, the evening after Boxing Day ??? (I have not checked the timetable.)

I don't think we are playing Easter Monday either ???

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
No Boxing Day game? Big deal. We're going to be playing 46 games like everyone else so who cares? I certainly don't.

Suits me fine playing the Tues before anyway.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I was told by someone that under current restrictions we would NEVER be able to play at home on Boxing days.

Obviously things can always be overturned but it wasn't an easy reversal and the implication was the club would incur massive costs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Am I missing something here, but why is this the club's problem? It is the train and bus companies not being able to put on enough trains and buses to deal with a football match. Not our fault at all IMHO

No, it's not. He's not saying it is.

Gus also needs to stop slagging down his employers in the press.

Er, he's not. He's complaining about the bus and train companies.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
No Boxing Day game? Big deal. We're going to be playing 46 games like everyone else so who cares? I certainly don't.

Suits me fine playing the Tues before anyway.

This, I'd rather people shut up about it now, if we can't play it next season or whatever, then moan all you like.

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
I think a lot of you are missing the point it's f*** all to do with the Leeds game friday the issue is Boxing Day .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't even believe Gus IS that pissed off. He's just playing to the gallery because his team isn't playing particularly well.

Unless he and all his players consider training on Christmas day a special treat or something? ???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Poyet can be a right DICK sometimes. There I said it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think a lot of you are missing the point it's f*** all to do with the Leeds game friday the issue is Boxing Day .

That's the point - it's got f*** all to do with the Leeds game friday, which is what Gus should have all his focus on given our 6 game slump - not on some other distraction weeks away.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he was expressing a view which I think most of us agree with. The problem was the FL knowing the situation should arrange an away game if they know in advance there is going to be no public transport. The sensible solution was to switch the two Millwall games as most supporters of both teams could get to the game on Boxing Day at The Den by road and park reasonably near travelling either by car or coach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here