Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian Season Preview 2020-21: Albion Prediction Finish Position: 16th

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It’s funny reading all the comments regarding your 19th place prediction, then the contrast to the adjusted 16 th place :lolol:
I think you’ll finish bottom half, maybe a bit higher then last season.
We’ll be similar, a big rebuild under way ( not the new stand ) with younger players sourced and signed, so looking to the future.
I think our post lockdown form has clouded your views on us, with many predicting our demise, but the truth is we were safe pre lockdown .
You came flying out of the blocks once the season resumed, but most of you must have been nervous prior to that ?
West Brom, Fulham and Burnley to drop.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It’s funny reading all the comments regarding your 19th place prediction, then the contrast to the adjusted 16 th place :lolol:
We’ll be similar, a big rebuild under way ( not the new stand ) with younger players sourced and signed, so looking to the future.
I think our post lockdown form has clouded your views on us, with many predicting our demise, but the truth is we were safe pre lockdown .
You came flying out of the blocks once the season resumed, but most of you must have been nervous prior to that ?

after our ludicrous defeat to your lot at the amex I was pretty convinced that we were down. Lockdown came at a great time for us

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

I think...hand on heart...that we will finish above Palace for the first time since we came up.

I’ve not claimed it before but took betfairs hand off at 2’s

*edit* I don’t expect you to go down unfortunately. You’ve had a good window.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Wouldn't argue too strongly against West Brom and Fulham but I think Burnley (and Dyche) are always under-estimated and seem to get better as the season progresses. Plus the number of clean sheets they kept last season was ridiculous. I'd like to think either Villa or Leeds will fill the third relegation spot but maybe this time it will be West Ham?

It will be interesting to see how Shefield United get on with their 'difficult second album.' Personally I hope they consolidate and have another successful season as I like the club and their supporters but they could just as easily implode, I suppose. Can't see us going down; I just looked at the table and we are 3rd already (behind Arsenal and Aston Villa) which to be honest is better than I dared hoped for at this stage of the season.

SAC

May 21, 2014

The Guardian have Palace relegated in 18th place but the review is also quite positive. It could be another typo but I suspect not.
West Brom, Fulham and Sheffield United would be my bet. If I hadn't stopped betting. Burnley will be fine if they keep Wood and Barnes (and Dyche).

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Wouldn't argue too strongly against West Brom and Fulham but I think Burnley (and Dyche) are always under-estimated and seem to get better as the season progresses. Plus the number of clean sheets they kept last season was ridiculous. I'd like to think either Villa or Leeds will fill the third relegation spot but maybe this time it will be West Ham?

It will be interesting to see how Shefield United get on with their 'difficult second album.' Personally I hope they consolidate and have another successful season as I like the club and their supporters but they could just as easily implode, I suppose. Can't see us going down; I just looked at the table and we are 3rd already (behind Arsenal and Aston Villa) which to be honest is better than I dared hoped for at this stage of the season.

With the lack of investment , Dyche could lose interest this coming season, just my gut feeling. Sheff Utd won’t have the benefit of being the surprise package this season, so may struggle a bit.
Villa may spend big again, but no guarantees with that approach, Leeds going large, but also no guarantees.
West Ham ??? No money to spend unless Rice goes.
You’ve started well being 3rd, it’s just a shame AFC Bournemouth aren’t there.:whistle:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I see their error was that they originally predicted 19th but really meant 16th! It seems numerical illiteracy is now aligned to their literate inadequacies.....shoddy and some in my opinion.

We will end up 10th, I mean 2nd.

TNBA

TTF

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
With the lack of investment , Dyche could lose interest this coming season, just my gut feeling. Sheff Utd won’t have the benefit of being the surprise package this season, so may struggle a bit.
Villa may spend big again, but no guarantees with that approach, Leeds going large, but also no guarantees.
West Ham ??? No money to spend unless Rice goes.
You’ve started well being 3rd, it’s just a shame AFC Bournemouth aren’t there.:whistle:

Burnley will be okay because they don't care whether they entertain anyone or not, and if they get battered 5-0 they just dust themselves down and dig in for a 1-0 the following week. They're far less psychologically fragile than some other teams I could mention.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Is it not a contradiction in terms having Mark Hughes as your manager and saying you're established ?

Very true of course, but he led them to 9th place three seasons in a row from 2014-2016 so you could see why they might have thought they had arrived.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think West Ham will drop. I also have a hunch that a Hojberg-less Saints will be not very good. And then West Brom as well but I'm terrible at predicting relegated teams.
[MENTION=25756]Se20[/MENTION] I reckon you've signed really well. I'm looking forward to another season in the balance between us.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015

I really don't get it. All they've done is re-sign loan players, plug the gap left by White and made one other big signing, who isn't an out and out goalscorer.

This Leeds team only just made it to 2 points per game in a very weak championship, the same number of points we gained in our promotion winning season. Had they gone and smashed the 100 point barrier and only lost a couple of games I'd understand it, but they didn't :shrug:.

We sign Veltman, Lallana, get White back and are yet to spend our budget, but we drop a place! :lolol:

I guess under the radar and all that, but it is a little frustrating, isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't get it. All they've done is re-sign loan players, plug the gap left by White and made one other big signing, who isn't an out and out goalscorer.

This Leeds team only just made it to 2 points per game in a very weak championship, the same number of points we gained in our promotion winning season. Had they gone and smashed the 100 point barrier and only lost a couple of games I'd understand it, but they didn't :shrug:.

We sign Veltman, Lallana, get White back and are yet to spend our budget, but we drop a place! :lolol:

Nope, the Guardian have a shit record of predictions

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...2019-20-review-our-predictions-versus-reality

Just like last season when they predicted Norwich would survive they have now set themselves up by over estimating what Leeds will do on the pitch. It’s not as though they have anything to back it up other than a big team bias for that prediction either.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

The Guardian have surveyed multiple journalists to come up with 16th. On that basis you'd assume that a few had us higher than 16th.
As for Leeds then I guess the thinking doesn't get any more nuanced than - there has to be a Wolves or a Sheff Utd this year, (i've heard of ) Bielsa and he knows what he's doing so it might as well be them. Four Four Two have em in 10th as well i think and the deadline for that prediction was weeks ago - before any signings and the outcome of the Ben White saga.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There is this assumption that now Leeds "are back where they belong" that they will somehow transform into the decent top flight team they were 20 years ago.

The premier League is a completely different and bigger challenge now.
The increased revenue to all clubs mean that the lower prem teams no longer have to sell their best players every season and don't.

It's kind of understandable that Leeds fans don't acknowledge that, but sports journalists?
Bizarre.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Nope, the Guardian have a shit record of predictions

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...2019-20-review-our-predictions-versus-reality

Just like last season when they predicted Norwich would survive they have now set themselves up by over estimating what Leeds will do on the pitch. It’s not as though they have anything to back it up other than a big team bias for that prediction either.

The prediction itself is the least frustrating part of it for me. It's the lack recognition for the club, Potter and the players, given the progress we continue make. I know it doesn't make a blind bit of difference so long as our supporters see it, but it would be nice nonetheless for the outside world to see it as well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Why is it frustrating?

Does anything matter except points on the board?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Why is it frustrating?

Does anything matter except points on the board?

Exactly. Just because we believe we deserve to be rated higher than Leeds doesn't mean we will be. Sometimes good teams go down because 17 teams are even better, or they get unlucky with injuries, referees or loss of form. We need to be more ruthless in front of goal this season if we are to achieve the league position the team's general play deserves.

I happen to believe that Leeds are putting too much faith in Bielsa's high-energy pressing game, which perhaps surprised some Championship sides but won't impress Premier League teams who have seen it done better by Liverpool and Man City. They exhausted themselves two seasons ago and had nothing left by the end, whereas last season they had the lockdown break to help recharge their batteries. This season will more of an intense grind. But maybe Bielsa has a surprise up his sleeve.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That Guardian article is tongue straight down the back of the trousers . . . . The Grauniads sports writers are generally very good. Their predictions are clearly not.

As Icy said, they weren't any better than we were in arguably an easier promotion season. THey may have a better busget and a few better players, but I don't think they're any better if as good as a team/squad. a good bench mark will be when they play Sheff United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here