Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian Season Preview 2020-21: Albion Prediction Finish Position: 16th

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This . . .our corners and Duffy/Dunk on the end of them were a constant threat under CH . . . . absolutely missing in action this last season. WHY?

Looks like the team scored 10 goals from corners in the 18/19 season (14 total from set pieces), which is abnormally high, but scored the second least from set pieces in the 17/18 season (5, dont have the energy to go through how many from corners).

This season 12 goals were scored from set pieces, IIRC six (?) from corners, which is likely somewhere around the league average.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Looks like the team scored 10 goals from corners in the 18/19 season (14 total from set pieces), which is abnormally high, but scored the second least from set pieces in the 17/18 season (5, dont have the energy to go through how many from corners).

This season 12 goals were scored from set pieces, IIRC six (?) from corners, which is likely somewhere around the league average.

I wonder how that compares to the amount of corners actually won. Stats is stats, but they don't tell the whole story, we could have come close forced a save hit the bar etc . . .as opposed to just pass it to the keeper or leather it out the other side for a throw in!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I looked up their 2019/20 entry on us. They felt that it would be down to whether Trossard/Maupay/Webster could adapt to life in the Prem.
They guessed not.

Not the worst prediction ever to be fair.

It's probably no more accurate than a many that will be made by NSC residents though. And possibly just one or two people giving their view. I'd take just as much notice if you published your own. Maybe do so to see how you compare in the end. You might be surprised.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder how that compares to the amount of corners actually won. Stats is stats, but they don't tell the whole story, we could have come close forced a save hit the bar etc . . .as opposed to just pass it to the keeper or leather it out the other side for a throw in!

I recall lots and lots of missed headers, but sure some end up with the keeper.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Guardian Season Preview 2020-21: Albion Prediction Finish Position: 19th!

TBF to the journalists here. Its a guess no more no less. If we pick up Messi on a free next week, I suspect our outcome might change a bit. Similarly if Maupay is hit by an asteroid (possibly more likely) our chances lessen...

Yes but it’s a lazy uninformed guess.

What evidence is there that we’re declining? And as said, we haven’t even been in the bottom 3 for a few seasons.

This may be harsh but they are paid good money to come up with this, it’s not asking the world to be a little informed.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Says predicted finish 16th when I click into the article, not 19th??

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Woop. They changed it. Bottom of the article:

"• This article was amended on 1 September 2020. Owing to a calculation error an earlier version said the Guardian writers’ predicted position was 19th; in fact it was 16th."

Er ... no, The Guardian is not funded by Bill Gates. It is funded by the Scott Trust.

thegua.jpg

Enough about that though. They may have no journalistic integrity but I dont think that would affect their PL predictions.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

They've made a correction. Someone obviously went back to whoever did the maths and asked why Brighton were coming out 19th. I prefer the lower prediction. The one year they didn't predict that we would go down, we very nearly did.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Woop. They changed it. Bottom of the article:

"• This article was amended on 1 September 2020. Owing to a calculation error an earlier version said the Guardian writers’ predicted position was 19th; in fact it was 16th."

Thread closed.

I take back everything I said about Lazy Journalism.
Reasonable prediction.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think/hope we'll take a step forward over this season just finished. The question is, will everyone else . . . .

so whilst 16th is a reasonable guesstimation, so is 13th.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think/hope we'll take a step forward over this season just finished. The question is, will everyone else . . . .

so whilst 16th is a reasonable guesstimation, so is 13th.

Indeed. There has only been 3-6 points between 13th and 16th for the last 6 seasons

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I understand that, but we have basically given up trying to score from corners, seems to be x player just passes it direct to keepers gloves.

I understand your point and have a view that Gross is the only one we have to put it on a sixpence. Unfortunately Gross won’t get that much game time this season as he just hasn’t got the pace. It would be good if he had sufficient around him as the rest of his game is decent. Maybe him and Lallana will job share!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Scoring 20 goals @ home last season and a mere 19 the previous we will always be fav's to get relegated.. #reality

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That prediction of 16th was driven by the fact we currently have Maupay, Connolly, Gyokeres and Murray as our striker options - and now Murray has left.

This is understandable, as the difference between a disappointing 16th place and a progressive 13th place is usually modest - around 5 points (44 vs 39).

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think you've contradicted yourself.

We may (or may not) have 'strengthened' - this is working on the assumption our strikers aren't capable of improving - but our lack of goals this season got us to 15th.

So where is the assumption we will finish 19th?

It was so close though, has been for each season. Now, you can nonchalantly say that’s proof we’ll finish above the bottom 3 again, sit back, light a cigar and enjoy the ride knowing we’re already safe come what may. Or recognise it’s been tight, really tight, and with the wind blowing in a different direction without improving the attack...a bottom 3 isn’t unachievable!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I agree with your point that we need a more clinical strike force to push on to the next level, but that isn't what is being debated here.
The perception is that we are relegation fodder. Predicted on average to finish 19th! Which kind of indicates that some pundits think we will finish bottom.

We have survived relatively comfortably in 2 out of 3 seasons and the other season, we were never in the relegation zone, let alone second from bottom.
It really hasn't been that tight.

The results "going the other way" cuts both ways, but even given that, we would have needed 4 wins to have been draws to have been relegated last season.

My question is what about our current squad indicates that we are going to struggle any more than the 3 teams coming up, and the other main strugglers last season (Villa/West Ham/Palace/Newcastle)
Do you really think that 6 of those teams are odds on to finish above us?

We are relegation candidates though, We’re a proven bottom 6 finisher and probably half the division has a chance of falling out, with injuries, bad buys, limited budgets, wage caps etc all considered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here