Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian Season Preview 2020-21: Albion Prediction Finish Position: 16th

phoenix

May 18, 2009
OK, so doesn't really reflect the view of the writer of the article, Ed Aarons, whose view is generally positive but...

'Guardian writers’ predicted position: 19th (NB: this is not necessarily Ed Aarons’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)'

Sake!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/01/premier-league-2020-21-season-preview-no-3-brighton

The Guardian

says there was a error it should read 16TH

I haven't read the rest of the thread so someone may have already updated.

"This article was amended on 1 September 2020. Owing to a calculation error an earlier version said the Guardian writers’ predicted position was 19th; in fact it was 16th"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I understand your point and have a view that Gross is the only one we have to put it on a sixpence. Unfortunately Gross won’t get that much game time this season as he just hasn’t got the pace. It would be good if he had sufficient around him as the rest of his game is decent. Maybe him and Lallana will job share!

It's not just the Gross factor ( although he is the best we have currently)

It was something else . . . . Hopefully Potters ideas get accross, or whtever, but having 3 confirmed giraffes and a bonafide accurate delivery system suggests something should click

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We are relegation candidates though, We’re a proven bottom 6 finisher and probably half the division has a chance of falling out, with injuries, bad buys, limited budgets, wage caps etc all considered.

All but 6 or 7 clubs are.

Bournemouth and Watford weren't on too many lists of teams to go down last season.

As it turns out the Grauniad made a typo and it should have been 16th not 19th.
I have no objection to that kind of prediction. I think we will finish somewhere between 17th and 10th.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
All but 6 or 7 clubs are.

Bournemouth and Watford weren't on too many lists of teams to go down last season.

As it turns out the Grauniad made a typo and it should have been 16th not 19th.
I have no objection to that kind of prediction. I think we will finish somewhere between 17th and 10th.

Yep, as I said. Think it’s probably slightly more, around half the division have the capacity to have a relegation season. The newly promoted, the usual suspects, including us, plus there’s always a surprise such as an Everton from time to time.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I don’t think Everton have been near a relegation battle since the the nineties.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t think Everton have been near a relegation battle since the the nineties.

17th with 39 points in 03/04, but the relegated teams were pretty shit and ended up six points behind... still a bit of a battle technically.

They are indeed quite steady though and one of the two (along with Tottenham) clubs very unlikely to go down and very unlikely to win, and if they ever did they would immediatly bounce back to their normal level. Pretty difficult to reach that type of stability, lots of clubs have tried and failed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep, as I said. Think it’s probably slightly more, around half the division have the capacity to have a relegation season. The newly promoted, the usual suspects, including us, plus there’s always a surprise such as an Everton from time to time.

Everton haven't been relegated since 1951. But West Brom and Stoke in 2017-18 were surprises after both probably thought they had established themselves.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I understand your point and have a view that Gross is the only one we have to put it on a sixpence. Unfortunately Gross won’t get that much game time this season as he just hasn’t got the pace. It would be good if he had sufficient around him as the rest of his game is decent. Maybe him and Lallana will job share!

Mac Allister certainly thinks he can put it on the Argentinian equivalent of a sixpence, to judge by the way he kept grabbing the ball from Gross for free kicks against Chelsea. Let's hope he's right.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
OK, so doesn't really reflect the view of the writer of the article, Ed Aarons, whose view is generally positive but...

'Guardian writers’ predicted position: 19th (NB: this is not necessarily Ed Aarons’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)'

Sake!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/01/premier-league-2020-21-season-preview-no-3-brighton

I’ve read the article and it reads “ Guardian writers’ predicted position: 16th (NB: this is not necessarily Ed Aarons’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)”

Not 19th, Has he changed his mind?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ve read the article and it reads “ Guardian writers’ predicted position: 16th (NB: this is not necessarily Ed Aarons’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)”

Not 19th, Has he changed his mind?

The Guardian originally put 19th in error. The thread title needs changing.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Good.

I am glad so called experts have us to go down.

Print these off, frame them, stick them in the changing room.

It will work to our advantage

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Everton haven't been relegated since 1951. But West Brom and Stoke in 2017-18 were surprises after both probably thought they had established themselves.

But they had some near misses since. As said, always a surprise team.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Journalists and pundits (and fans of other Prem League clubs) had us as bang in trouble before the restart yet we were never shorter than 3/1 to be relegated. Probably mainly due to the XG stats etc that confirmed we were underachieving in terms of points gained. I'd be stunned if we finish lower than we did last season, even if we don't bring in another striker (which I fully expect us to do anyway.)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Journalists and pundits (and fans of other Prem League clubs) had us as bang in trouble before the restart yet we were never shorter than 3/1 to be relegated. Probably mainly due to the XG stats etc that confirmed we were underachieving in terms of points gained. I'd be stunned if we finish lower than we did last season, even if we don't bring in another striker (which I fully expect us to do anyway.)

Not just fans of other PL clubs, a lot on NSC too.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Not just fans of other PL clubs, a lot on NSC too.

I don't think I logged in much, if at all, during the enforced break. Not surprised though. Supporters are generally emotional in their assessment of their own teams anyway aren't they, whether it is wildly optimistic or overly pessimistic. Analytics and betting markets are a better gauge.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think I logged in much, if at all, during the enforced break. Not surprised though. Supporters are generally emotional in their assessment of their own teams anyway aren't they, whether it is wildly optimistic or overly pessimistic. Analytics and betting markets are a better gauge.

Exactly . . .we build ourselves up to Beat Manure/Man City/Liverpool at home, lose 3-0 and then slope off to get another beer spouting about relegation and the end of the world

wouldn't have it any other way :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here