Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grimsby Town

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I've got no great feelings for Grimsby Town, apart from the day we avoided avoiding the drop on the last day of the season last time we were in the Championship, and that rant from the Grimsby fan that was on here a couple of years ago.

But Grimsby Town are still a proper football club with decent fans in a proper stadium in a semi proper football town (Cleethorpes)

What The f*** are they doing playing the likes of Braintree Town tonight?

And losing FOUR bloody NIL inside an hour ?!?

Imagine for a minute if we had gone down into that conference.

For every Donny who gets out, there's a handful of York Citys, Mansfield Towns and Grimsbys.

GRIM is the word.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
GRIM is the word, is the word, is the word :D

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Poor Lincolnshire - a few years ago it had four League clubs - two Championship (Scunthorpe and Grimsby), one League One (Lincoln) and one League Two (Boston). It now has one - Scunny, relegated last season.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Grim was the word in '83 - we lost 5-0 and I got beaten up after the game.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I remember that day. Old bill made us go over footbridge and walk along prom to get to station - greeted by local hoolies chucking ballast at us. Had to run like shit!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There were a lot of people who thought you had had your chips that day.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just got back from Braintrees First home game in the Conference. 5-0 against Grimsby!!

Not much good football on display at all, a pretty even affair for 40 mins or so, Braintree scored a couple just before half time and after that it just seemed to go right for them.

Can't understand people moaning about having to pay £24+ to watch BHA v Sunderland in a fantastic Stadium. It cost £15 to watch this game of hoofball in a non-league ground

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've just seen this thread. As a Grimsby fan, in fact the very fan who wrote the rant mentioned by the OP, our decline has been utterly, utterly heartbreaking. And just when you think we've hit rock bottom, it gets even worse.

I first visited this forum because I was intrigued by your new stadium. Our supposed new stadium has been in planning for about 15 years, but for various reasons has never happened. Anyway, I've found myself regularly checking in on here partly because there's actually some decent, well reasoned debate surrounding a host of topics (many of which are non-football), but also because it's refreshing to read the thoughts of genuine football fans of a club on the up.

I speak to plastic fans of Man Yoo, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like on a daily basis. Those who know me often ask how Town are getting on, but there's no empathy. Someone who gets píssed off because Arsenal failed to score more than 2 goals during the one game they bothered to visit the Emirates for the season simply doesn't know what it feels like to watch the team you proudly supported since you were 4 years old get beaten 5-0 by Braintree fúcking Town. The same team that almost 10 years to the day were top of the Championship (3rd September 2001, for the record) and just about to beat Liverpool at Anfield in the Carling Cup.

But I'm genuinely chuffed for you lot.

Our problems are different to the ones you have faced, but nevertheless have been gut-wrenching to witness. Being forced out of your spiritual home and into the wilderness of a ropey athletics track (via a stint at Gillingham, of course) must have been a tough pill to swallow, but equally so is watching your proud club deteriorate to the point where it is ripped to shreds by a team of part-time postmen and plumbers in front of 600 people. I'd like to think that relegation isn't a possibility again this season, but frankly it probably is.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that it only seems like yesterday since we were relegated together from the then Division One. Apologies for that silly twát Michael Keane and his obnoxious celebration that day - he was on loan at the time and never played for us again.

One club bounced back, the other has sunk into oblivion, albeit both over a number of years. I just hope you lot enjoy and appreciate the fortunes of your club - as much as you deserve it for your perseverance and endeavour during your club's darkest hours there are a bunch of fans up at on the East coast who frankly don't deserve the shít that we've had to put up with. Life's not always fair, but that depends upon your perspective.

All the best for the season and the future. I'll continue to look out for your results as I have done for the last few months, and I look forward to seeing you on Match of the Day in the near future.

Keep it real... ;)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cheers [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION], we would have gone out of existence if we had been relegated from the Football League, you guys still have the opportunity to drag yourselves back up. Keep the faith!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've just seen this thread. As a Grimsby fan, in fact the very fan who wrote the rant mentioned by the OP, our decline has been utterly, utterly heartbreaking. And just when you think we've hit rock bottom, it gets even worse.

I first visited this forum because I was intrigued by your new stadium. Our supposed new stadium has been in planning for about 15 years, but for various reasons has never happened. Anyway, I've found myself regularly checking in on here partly because there's actually some decent, well reasoned debate surrounding a host of topics (many of which are non-football), but also because it's refreshing to read the thoughts of genuine football fans of a club on the up.

I speak to plastic fans of Man Yoo, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like on a daily basis. Those who know me often ask how Town are getting on, but there's no empathy. Someone who gets píssed off because Arsenal failed to score more than 2 goals during the one game they bothered to visit the Emirates for the season simply doesn't know what it feels like to watch the team you proudly supported since you were 4 years old get beaten 5-0 by Braintree fúcking Town. The same team that almost 10 years to the day were top of the Championship (3rd September 2001, for the record) and just about to beat Liverpool at Anfield in the Carling Cup.

Our problems are different to the ones you have faced, but nevertheless have been gut-wrenching to witness. Being forced out of your spiritual home and into the wilderness of a ropey athletics track (via a stint at Gillingham, of course) must have been a tough pill to swallow, but equally so is watching your proud club deteriorate to the point where it is ripped to shreds by a team of part-time postmen and plumbers in front of 600 people. I'd like to think that relegation isn't a possibility again this season, but frankly it probably is.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that it only seems like yesterday since we were relegated together from the then Division One. Apologies for that silly twát Michael Keane and his obnoxious celebration that day - he was on loan at the time and never played for us again.

One club bounced back, the other has sunk into oblivion, albeit both over a number of years. I just hope you lot enjoy and appreciate the fortunes of your club - as much as you deserve it for your perseverance and endeavour during your club's darkest hours there are a bunch of fans up at on the East coast who frankly don't deserve the shít that we've had to put up with. Life's not always fair, but that depends upon your perspective.

All the best for the season and the future. I'll continue to look out for your results as I have done for the last few months, and I look forward to seeing you on Match of the Day in the near future.

Keep it real... ;)

Thanks mate - yours has been a very sad and largely unpublicised decline - hope things improve.

Oct 2, 2008

Keep it real... ;)

Quite simply that is one of the best posts I have seen on NSC for a long while. Frightening to think that had the Hereford gamepanned out differently we could eaily have been in your position. We really should count our blessings. I wish you well. Please keep us informed on how your season pans out.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nice to have a note from one of England's greatest counties to another.

Grimsby isn't particularly beautiful but it's a proud old town and serves a bigger geographical area than Brighton does. It deserves the regeneration that a successful football club can bring - it was tragic that the plan to build a stadium the other side of Cleethorpes came to nothing. There but for the grace...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
And just when you think we've hit rock bottom, it gets even worse......get beaten 5-0 by Braintree fúcking Town.

As I mentioned the other day, proper club, proper fans. Power to you fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here