Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grimsby Town

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The attendance at Braintree was just over 1,000 with the away contingent estimated at 350+ by the Crappygraph , not a bad turnout for a Tuesday night.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I've just seen this thread. As a Grimsby fan, in fact the very fan who wrote the rant mentioned by the OP, our decline has been utterly, utterly heartbreaking. And just when you think we've hit rock bottom, it gets even worse.

I first visited this forum because I was intrigued by your new stadium. Our supposed new stadium has been in planning for about 15 years, but for various reasons has never happened. Anyway, I've found myself regularly checking in on here partly because there's actually some decent, well reasoned debate surrounding a host of topics (many of which are non-football), but also because it's refreshing to read the thoughts of genuine football fans of a club on the up.

I speak to plastic fans of Man Yoo, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like on a daily basis. Those who know me often ask how Town are getting on, but there's no empathy. Someone who gets píssed off because Arsenal failed to score more than 2 goals during the one game they bothered to visit the Emirates for the season simply doesn't know what it feels like to watch the team you proudly supported since you were 4 years old get beaten 5-0 by Braintree fúcking Town. The same team that almost 10 years to the day were top of the Championship (3rd September 2001, for the record) and just about to beat Liverpool at Anfield in the Carling Cup.

But I'm genuinely chuffed for you lot.

Our problems are different to the ones you have faced, but nevertheless have been gut-wrenching to witness. Being forced out of your spiritual home and into the wilderness of a ropey athletics track (via a stint at Gillingham, of course) must have been a tough pill to swallow, but equally so is watching your proud club deteriorate to the point where it is ripped to shreds by a team of part-time postmen and plumbers in front of 600 people. I'd like to think that relegation isn't a possibility again this season, but frankly it probably is.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that it only seems like yesterday since we were relegated together from the then Division One. Apologies for that silly twát Michael Keane and his obnoxious celebration that day - he was on loan at the time and never played for us again.

One club bounced back, the other has sunk into oblivion, albeit both over a number of years. I just hope you lot enjoy and appreciate the fortunes of your club - as much as you deserve it for your perseverance and endeavour during your club's darkest hours there are a bunch of fans up at on the East coast who frankly don't deserve the shít that we've had to put up with. Life's not always fair, but that depends upon your perspective.

All the best for the season and the future. I'll continue to look out for your results as I have done for the last few months, and I look forward to seeing you on Match of the Day in the near future.

Keep it real... ;)

Top Post. Know exactly how you feel. Have been there and back. Not sure what to say other than, it's your team and no one else's. Things change in football, and you will be back, and when you are it will feel so much sweeter having been through the mill a few times. When Manure win their next premiership title, it will never feel as good as Grimsby getting back into the league. Stay Proud.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Did I hear that Braintree have signed Leon Constantine and Kevin McLeod?

Like ourselves, they seem to be a club on the up.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
i was lucky enough to drive past blundell park yesterday on the way to treasure island a local theme park. the findus stand in view and the old style pylons in the four corners of the ground, some old memories came flooding back of our days at the goldstone. i cannot believe what has happened to grimsby town football club but i sincerly hope they turn it around and regain there league status soon. back at home now and looking forward to the amex tomorrow but alsowith a thought or two for the likes of grimsby who have not been so fortunate.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Posts really help put into perspective how lucky we are to find ourselves in a great new stadium with a fantastic manager and players. Really hope Grimsby find there way out of the wilderness.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Having known little of the plight of Grimsby this post will have me watching their fortunes very closely from now on.

I feel very fortunate to have a seat in our nice new stadium watching the club I love, and hope Grimsby fans have that same feeling in the near future.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Posts really help put into perspective how lucky we are to find ourselves in a great new stadium with a fantastic manager and players. Really hope Grimsby find there way out of the wilderness.

Definitely. Griimsby are a proper football club, with supporters that care as much as ours. Always keep an eye on their results and hope they get back into the league 2 very quickly. Goood luck to them for the rest of the season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not really relevant to anything, but Braintree are managed by former West Ham legend Alan Devonshire.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i watched the Grimsby game when we both got relegated in a scottish bar in Magaluf, with a group of Grimsby fans all wearing the kit, I was the only seasgull fan in the bar. they were top draw all day / night and there was no trouble at all. a good day even though the result was shite. i hope they can come back from where they are as the league needs clubs like Grimsby Town, well supported and a history. Good luck boys

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Really makes you appreciate how lucky we are now. There but for grace of God go I, sort of thing. It could have so easily been us, but keep battling away and who knows what's possible.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your results in future.Good luck, mate.

BTW, does your club still give the visitors a box of herring? Heard it's a really old tradition.

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
I've been a few times to watch the Albion but also a few times to watch Barnsley with my uncle as Grimsby was always seen as a good day out for northern teams, it's sad as the decline of the football club has loosely followed the decline in Grimsbys industry, great fish and chip shop on the corner by the stadium

Enjoy the trip to Newport County today, Poojah. And talk to their fans about the decline, near-death and slow recovery of a proud football club.

It can be done. But it may take years. Good luck.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Poojah thanks for your top post. Just puts the life of a regular football supporter into perspective. Many ups and downs but Grimsby is surely too 'big' to be floundering (sorry for unintended pun) around in non-league. Having said that there are many ex league teams now non-league and Grimsby was the fourth club to have played in the top four tiers of English football to be relegated to non-league after Carlisle Oxford and Luton. Sobering thought that it could have been BHA.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
For someone like 'Poojah' to take the time and write a detailed account and wish us well is a credit to GTFC. For your sake I truly hope your club turns the corner and gets its league status back soon.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thanks for kind words guys - a slightly better result for us yesterday, 0-0 at Newport, but still a long way to go.

Unluckly on your result; I remember the days when Kevin Phillips used to score against us in the league!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I've got no great feelings for Grimsby Town, apart from the day we avoided avoiding the drop on the last day of the season last time we were in the Championship, and that rant from the Grimsby fan that was on here a couple of years ago.

But Grimsby Town are still a proper football club with decent fans in a proper stadium in a semi proper football town (Cleethorpes)

What The f*** are they doing playing the likes of Braintree Town tonight?

And losing FOUR bloody NIL inside an hour ?!? :facepalm:

Imagine for a minute if we had gone down into that conference.

For every Donny who gets out, there's a handful of York Citys, Mansfield Towns and Grimsbys.

GRIM is the word.

maybe you didnt notice - but we were relegated that day.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here