Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grimest town/city you've ever visited.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
You're obviously so shocked that you've got your towns mixed up - Ashton is just outside Manchester - clearly not our country's second city - so do you mean Aston?

Ashton Villa. Got their shirts printed at the same place as Chrystal Palace.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I find Horley to be extremely depressing. An old, crumbling wreck of a town full of ugly dark buildings that make the whole place feel so bleak. I wouldn't want to stay there for any length of time as I would fear for my mental health.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Bronx - really grim and cant see it ever changing, depressing

Passed through there once and I have to agree. Most large American cities have a similar area, New Orleans even pre Katrina was pretty dreadful if you were more than half a mile off Bourbon Street for example. However the Bronx is pure desolation.

sammy g

I know I have been here before, but having worked in Bognor Regis for a year and a half I have an extreme allergic reaction to the place. Run down, identikit shopping area, the place people come to stay for a while and end up living there without wanting to but somehow get trapped there! Not to mention the amount of Pompey fans there. If I had my way we would give it to Hampshire maybe take Winchester in return!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't believe some of the places that are getting mentioned. Didn't think Aston was that bad. Hartlepool and Wigan are alright and Rotherham is a very friendly place.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Ha, from someone who moved from Brighton to Luton back in March, it's funny to see it come up so many times in this thread. It seems like the council are actively trying hard to improve the image of the town - the railway station is getting a makeover with a brand new car park just going up next to it, which is (slightly bizarrely) done in a modern and trendy way. The Mall (Arndale Centre) has also had a facelift and had millions spent on it (below). The area I live in - Wigmore - is really nice, lots of mock tudor housing and very friendly..

the-mall-new-development.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The grimmest place I've ever had the misfortune to set foot in this country is Reading.

A soulless pit of depravity where you're lucky if you manage to leave without having been raped, mugged and/or stabbed.

I f***ing hate Reading

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't wait to come down there and beat you again.

Again? Of course, because your record of beating us away absolutely points to that happening doesn't it? :lolol:

Your history at Withdean & the Goldstone is about as impressive as ours at Hartlepool. We're pretty much always crap up your way, you're as near to a three point guarantee as it gets when you come to us.

I'm sure yesterday was the highlight of your season so far- why else would you be on here larging it so much?- so congratulations, enjoy it, as it'll be forgotten pretty quick when you slump to Brentford or Oldham or Rochdale or whoever you've got up next :wave:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If it's the most grim,overall I'd go for Coventry.

Grimsby sounds like a candidate,but Cleethorpes,actually,is the pits.

Oh.Crewe.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ha, from someone who moved from Brighton to Luton back in March, it's funny to see it come up so many times in this thread. It seems like the council are actively trying hard to improve the image of the town - the railway station is getting a makeover with a brand new car park just going up next to it, which is (slightly bizarrely) done in a modern and trendy way. The Mall (Arndale Centre) has also had a facelift and had millions spent on it (below). The area I live in - Wigmore - is really nice, lots of mock tudor housing and very friendly..

the-mall-new-development.jpg

You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oooh, Skegness is pretty horrendous now I think of it.

Tired, depressing, full of amusement arcades and sad old B&Bs begging for customers, crap location bearing the brunt of the winds straight off the North Sea. And then of course there's Butlins, populated mostly by gangs off drunken fatties from Lancashire and Yorkshire on hen/stag weekends, falling over sideways laughing at Stan Boardman or whatever failed comedian they've roped into appearing that weekend.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Gloucester on a night out.

Oi...that is grossly unfair...unless of course you spent it on the strip that is Eastgate Street, which is pretty nasty, nicknamed "Glosvegas" by the locals!

My vote goes to Juliaca in Peru...high up in the Andes and not far from Lake Titicaca, admittedly we only drove through the outskirts but if you watch the news and see pictures from some random street in Afghanistan then I think you might get the picture...very rough"

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oldham, what a dump

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Can't believe some of the places that are getting mentioned. Didn't think Aston was that bad. Hartlepool and Wigan are alright and Rotherham is a very friendly place.

It ain't great, but it's positively palatial compared to areas like nearby Nechells and Newtown. Then there's Shard End, Kingstanding, Hawkesly...

Brum has some grim areas, but then what big city doesn't?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

My nephew was at Uni at Aston, anybody who thinks that's bad needs to get out more. I've lived in Wigan, it's not the best but not the worst either. As for Hartlepool, it used to be rough but they have really tarted up the seafront and in fact it's pretty nice.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
After spending last weekend up there can I just add that Grampian Coastal Towns such as Fraserburgh and Peterhead are particularly grim, alcohol and random violence seem to be only forms of entertainment....

Good shouts for Runcorn, I used to have to drive through the place to work in Widnes - both very similar shitty, smelly, horribly polluted chemical manufacturing towns.

Oh talking of which, Immingham, so crappy it makes Hull (just over the the Humber) seem desirable.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here