Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green party to win Brighton Pavillion

Caroline Lucas is like a lot of Greens. She talks about scientific issues and yet her degree is in ........English Literature.
That is why, although agreeing with much of what they say, I'm extremely suspicious of them. A touchy-feely-yuppie party for the touchy-feely-yuppie people of Brighton.

Agreed and also would say that it's the voters in the burbs that made Brighton a Tory Council and they'll make Brighton Tory in the GE too. I can see, as someone else has said that the left vote will be split leaving the town wide open for the Tories.

Also would point to Norwich where they also have a very strong Green presence. Locally they do well but in the recent by-election they did nowhere near enough to be taken seriously at a national level. Yes, I know they've got a MEP but the voting system in the Euros favours fringe parties.

I too struggle to take the Greens seriously and I think they are a bit of a luxury vote that always do well in the good times but during a recession people are more worried about jobs rather than climate change. Not a criticism from me, merely an observation.

Dandyman

In London village.
if they grew up they might be taken seriously. as said, being anti-nuclear while also being anti-fossil fuel and anti-wind/wave anywhere it might interfere with wildlife just means they are ultimatly anti-modern world.

would be good to see them get a seat to push green issues forward, but they really need to distill their issues down to ones that are realisitic.

Lucas seems fairly pro wind/wave to me...

Green Party | Green Party leader welcomes wind farm decision

Green Party leader welcomes wind farm decision

08 January 2010

Caroline Lucas has welcomed today's announcement by the Crown Estate that the wind farm proposed to be built off the Sussex coast will go ahead. One of 9 proposed sites being decided on this week, the ‘Hastings wind farm' development will be built offshore between Brighton and Newhaven. It will be made up of 100 turbines which together could provide up to 500 MW of electricity, enough power for 250,000 households (1).

Lucas said, "It is encouraging to see progress finally being made on offshore wind. But the efforts must not stop there.

"The UK gets less of its energy from renewable sources than almost any other EU country, and is one of the highest greenhouse gas emitters as a result. What we need is an energy infrastructure overhaul, with massive investment in diverse renewable sources to slash emissions. Energy efficiency is also crucial; a huge impact could be made with policies which truly help people cut their energy use. Providing free insulation for all homes - as we would do - is the sort of action we need right now."

Crucially, projects like the Hastings wind farm can also aid economic regeneration. The government estimates, that if all 9 projects being considered this week were given the go-ahead, 60,000 jobs could be created (2).

She continued,

"But these new jobs must be created in the UK rather than exported. Over 90% of the €2bn earmarked for the London Array wind farm - the world's largest - is being spent abroad (3). This demonstrates the government's failure to match its rhetoric on green jobs with action, as did its spectacular failure over Vestas. Renewable energy infrastructure will continue to be produced abroad unless the government starts supporting green industries here. Rather than allowing plants like Vestas to close, the government should be investing massively to support these new industries."

The Green Party's general election campaign will prioritise public spending on job-creation projects to help tackle the recession as well as dramatically reducing CO2 emissions and strongly promote the Greens' agenda of "fighting for a fairer society."

"Good News for Local Economy"

Lucas, tipped by pollsters to win the Brighton Pavilion seat in the coming general election, concluded:

"This is extremely good news, both for local energy supplies and for the local economy. The "Hastings" wind farm could produce enough power for 250,000 households, as well as creating thousands of new jobs. I'm particularly delighted that local company Searoc will be deeply involved as a partner organisation, underlining the huge potential of Brighton and Hove as a Greentech centre."

1. Wind farm - Heart 102.4 and 103.5
2. http://www.newenergyfocus.com/do/ecco/view_item?listid=1&listcatid=32&listitemid=3400§ion=Wind
3. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/03/manufacturing-sector-slams-darling-claim-government-supports-green-jobs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lucas seems fairly pro wind/wave to me...

good. combined with few nuclear and few large modern coal power stations to pick up the slack, wind and wave is the way to go. i hope she can realise that and compromise.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Greens are anti-science, elect them and you'll soon see what clowns they are. I think the BNP have a better chance in barking than the greens do in brighton.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
good. combined with few nuclear and few large modern coal power stations to pick up the slack, wind and wave is the way to go. i hope she can realise that and compromise.

Its a highly ineficiant form of energy production, which would raise costs, make us an unproductive/uncompetative nation and poor, ravaged by sectarian and racial warfare.

lovley.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Anybody who paints the Pavillion green should have their nostrils split open with a boathook:blush::facepalm::dunce:try reading before drinking next time

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tactical voting will decide the outcome , Labour voters will switch to the Greens as it is the only way to stop the Tories in KT , Pav and Hove. The Greens could return 2 MPs to the next parliament.

Tactical voting to try and keep the Tories out MIGHT be the case in Kemp Town and Hove (where I can't see the Greens winning in either case), but the Greens have been consistently the largest party in Pavilion constituency for the past three years.

The Greens are the largest party within the Pavilion constituency on the council (Green 12, Conservative 6, Labour 5), and they won the popular vote in the Euro elections in Brighton. I don't think it's a tactical vote - I think much of the 'left-wing' vote has already gone to the Greens.

Of course the figures they quote in the Independent are open to some interpretation, and I knew the Greens were popular, but I didn't realise that the lead was as much as 8 points.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
As Brighton has a sizeable proportion of tossers its only fair they should have a party to represent them.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well who else are the left wing central Brightonians going to vote for?

Labour are a dead duck now and even their most die hard supporters have all but given up on them but they're still never going to vote for the Tories. The Lib Dems are far too wishy washy and don't seem to have too strong an opinion either way so the Greens are the natural choice.

Of course they aren't perfect but we've seen that the two traditional big parties aren't capable of running things properly so it's only fair to give another party a crack at the whip.

I wish them every success. It's about time politics in this country was given a kick up the arse by a realistic party rather than bunch of racists

Dandyman

In London village.
Are they?

Not to the best of my knowledge and coming from Looney who has cheered on the US Neo-Cons with their "creationist", anti-stem cell research, anti-science bullshit it's beyond satire.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its a highly ineficiant form of energy production, which would raise costs, make us an unproductive/uncompetative nation and poor, ravaged by sectarian and racial warfare.

inefficient in small scale, not with proper reserch funding to improve technology and increase number of sites. or you could just give up and wait for the chinese and other asians to choke the world with smog.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Not to the best of my knowledge and coming from Looney who has cheered on the US Neo-Cons with their "creationist", anti-stem cell research, anti-science bullshit it's beyond satire.

This is a typical post bt a retard, I am not anti-stemcell research, erm the green party is...

The Green Party built its reputation on progressive social policies, but we were surprised by its anti-science stance. It told us that the party is proposing an EU-wide ban on research involving embryonic stem cells, citing the vague possibility of "unforeseen outcomes harmful both to individuals and to society".

Says the Gaurdian.:laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2009/jun/01/european-elections-science-stem-cells-gm

and another bunch of lefties...
Liberal Conspiracy Is the Green Party anti-science?

Owned...easily.:clap2:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
inefficient in small scale, not with proper reserch funding to improve technology and increase number of sites. or you could just give up and wait for the chinese and other asians to choke the world with smog.

Jezzuz, they are inefficiant because, wind, solar and wave are weather dependant, its got f*** all to do with proper funding or scale/:wrong:

Hydro-electric and Geothrmal do not have these problems, or the level of costs like Nuclear Fission. Then there Nuclear fusion, but hey why not just listen to Gayling, he thinks I'm clueless?:O

Oh and there are now investigations into fraud at 3 Climate research institutes so the global warming hoax isn't going to last much longer.:clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
You try so hard to make people believe you have a clue Looney but nobody ever buys it. You've been outed too many times as a pointless, ignorant, right wing twat

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
whats that Barrel of Fun? I suggest you read the second link.

"The Green Party, for example, is in favour of increased funding for research on methods of integrated conventional and holistic treatments for cancer."

Oh great funding aromatherapy for life threratening diseases. When are you going to grasp these people are simpletons?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here