Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green party to win Brighton Pavillion

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
No chance of a Clement Freud-style betting coup, sadly. Paddy Power have the Greens in at 4-6.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I should think it very likely that they will get in. We're the city with the highest Green representation in the UK and their first parliamentary seat could have been won here during the last election when they came a close second in the Pavilion seat.

This time round I confidently predict that the seasoned campaigner Caroline Lucas (already our MEP) will take the seat and do great things with it.

The Kemptown seat has a chance of swinging Greenwards too

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Tactical voting will decide the outcome , Labour voters will switch to the Greens as it is the only way to stop the Tories in KT , Pav and Hove. The Greens could return 2 MPs to the next parliament.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tactical voting will decide the outcome , Labour voters will switch to the Greens as it is the only way to stop the Tories in KT , Pav and Hove. The Greens could return 2 MPs to the next parliament.

How did you work this out? I will suggest that voting Labour is the best way of keeping the Tories out...anything else just splits the 'left' vote and allows the tories in. Take a look at the local election results and you'll see what I mean.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
When the Greens got in to Government here, they managed to electorally wipe themselves out shortly after (they got less council seats in the entire country than they had MPs!) - as a political concept it just doesn't work. They managed to demonstrate that extremely quickly

Let them have a seat, let them be seen to be idiots, let them die electorally. Problem gone.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm a professional environmentalist and still don't think I can vote for them, they're anti-nuclear power for feck's sake.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm a professional environmentalist and still don't think I can vote for them, they're anti-nuclear power for feck's sake.

I think this is a good example of local politics for local people. If they will benefit Brighton, but hold not much power in the grander scheme of things, then that might solve your conundrum.

Incidentally, they talk about the dangers of Nuclear Power. I don't know enough about Nuclear Power to comment on that. An interesting view on this can be found here... (obviously with the anti-Nuclear agenda)

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/reports/Nuclear_Power_No_Point.pdf

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think this is a good example of local politics for local people. If they will benefit Brighton, but hold not much power in the grander scheme of things, then that might solve your conundrum.

Incidentally, they talk about the dangers of Nuclear Power. I don't know enough about Nuclear Power to comment on that. An interesting view on this can be found here... (obviously with the anti-Nuclear agenda)

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/reports/Nuclear_Power_No_Point.pdf

I've written a couple of essays on the subject and there really is no viable alternative at present... The fact that they don't realise that worries me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they grew up they might be taken seriously. as said, being anti-nuclear while also being anti-fossil fuel and anti-wind/wave anywhere it might interfere with wildlife just means they are ultimatly anti-modern world.

would be good to see them get a seat to push green issues forward, but they really need to distill their issues down to ones that are realisitic.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Caroline Lucas is like a lot of Greens. She talks about scientific issues and yet her degree is in ........English Literature.
That is why, although agreeing with much of what they say, I'm extremely suspicious of them. A touchy-feely-yuppie party for the touchy-feely-yuppie people of Brighton.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've written a couple of essays on the subject and there really is no viable alternative at present... The fact that they don't realise that worries me.

I don't wish to demean your expertise on the subject, I seem to remember you were studying for a Masters :stalker: , but what makes you think that their experts have not considered this? They do seem to put a good case forwards regarding energy conservation and various other means in the short term.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Considering there is no nuclear interest in or around Brighton their views as a party on nuclear energy are largely irrelevant.

They aren't going to win control of the government, just one or two parliamentary seats in Brighton, and this can only be a good thing.

Apart from anything else Lucas' voting and attendance record is one of the best in the business. Always keen to show her face and make decisions unlike a lot of MPs who just do nothing but spunk our money up the walls on frivolous expenses until the next election campaign trail

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
if they grew up they might be taken seriously. as said, being anti-nuclear while also being anti-fossil fuel and anti-wind/wave anywhere it might interfere with wildlife just means they are ultimatly anti-modern world.

would be good to see them get a seat to push green issues forward, but they really need to distill their issues down to ones that are realisitic.

Kinda sums it up for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here