Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest start to a film

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My favourite Powell & Pressburger film, but most of their others are worth a look e.g. The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, A Canterbury Tale etc..

Would be inerested to hear what NSCs resident Film Critic Uncle Speilberg thinks of their stuff......

I love P&P films - A Canterbury Tale is my favourite but all of them are worth a look. Michael Powell's career completely collapsed after Peeping Tom - reviled at the time but now recognised as a cult classic - good on Martin Scorsese for drawing a new generation to Powell's work

The opening to Canterbury Tale is really excellent

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Well I've just watched the start of Saving Private Ryan, and its pretty uneventful. Just some old dude visiting some graves. The second scene is rather good though.

wahoo

Banned
Oct 11, 2007
For me however the best ever start with Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the desert with the music building up sat in the cinema with 1000 other people at the Odean in 1977 and then after 30 seconds the blinding flash of light and crescendo of music. I had never experienced anything like it as a 15 year old boy.

I was hooked and then my love, obsession and admiration for Spielberg began and has never let up. This film is a work of art and Spielberg at the absolute top of his game. It knocked the populist and greater box office success of Star Wars released 2 month earlier into a cocked hat.

Watch the start again and tell me I am wrong.

i have to agree , it may seem a bit dated know but whenever close enc is on i always seem to end up watching it :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here