Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest start to a film

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would agree with Star Wars and Pulp fiction.

I would like to add Sin City.

As for a start, that perfectly sums up the rest of the film, how about the start to Austin Powers, with a huge cast dancing down Carnaby Street.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Good thread, this.

And for an intro dripping with tension and atmosphere, Alien. The camera drifting slowly and quietly around the ship, the claustrophobic corridors, the "grungyness" of the interior of the craft giving it a whole new realism compared to the modern, polished spaceships we were used to seeing, and the soft spooky background score. You just knew you were going to see a great movie just from those first 2 or 3 minutes.

Totally agree with that Easy, couldn't find the begining sequence on Youtube, but the original cinema trailer was pretty good. As a bonus I've added Sigourney Weaver's iconic 'white knickers scene' :love:

[yt]bEVY_lonKf4[/yt]

[yt]Li07ieKouzg[/yt]

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This really had to be seen on the 'Big screen' to appreciate the impact of the stunning camera work combined with Ron Goodwin's music.

[yt]8XKGhG0W0LQ[/yt]

Brilliant movie - comes out on Blu Ray this Summer

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
The Last Boy Scout. It's the American football game in the rain, and the star Running Back gets a call at half time, he then takes some drugs and takes to the field. Then on the next play he is running with the ball to the end zone and he pulls the gun out and starts shooting the oppisition, he gets to the end zone and shoots himself.

Sets up the film brilliantly!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Paris Texas.

Nobody says anything for like 30 minutes.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Some top selections made already, especially the aforementioned Tarantino films, the recent Bond ones and Touch of Evil.

My own personal favourite would have to be the opening scene in The Godfather with Vito Corleone being asked for help from the local undertaker. An absolute classic.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sadly I have not got the talent to post clips from You Tube but surely the start of Apocalpyse Now with the Choppers, the Napalm and The Doors doing The End must be up there?

My favourite film ever a Matter of Life and Death has a great start too (Voiceover - This is The Universe - big isn't it?) but dont suppose it would be on You Tube so best do yourself a favour and watch the whole thing....

By the way if they are about I would appreciate them being posted so you can have a gander :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
David Lean's version of Great Expectations, the one with John Mills and Alec Guinness

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Sadly I have not got the talent to post clips from You Tube but surely the start of Apocalpyse Now with the Choppers, the Napalm and The Doors doing The End must be up there?

My favourite film ever a Matter of Life and Death has a great start too (Voiceover - This is The Universe - big isn't it?) but dont suppose it would be on You Tube so best do yourself a favour and watch the whole thing....

By the way if they are about I would appreciate them being posted so you can have a gander :thumbsup:

Just for you jakarta :thumbsup:

[yt]1b26BD5KjH0[/yt]

[yt]JSruSe_m8OI[/yt]

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I enjoyed A Matter of Life and Death. Never seen that before and thought it was tremendous. A jolly good shout. Top Drawer. I want to see rest of it now.

Coca-Cola Kid

Feb 9, 2010
Bad Boys

"Let's Hear some of those jokes huh? Bitch?"

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I enjoyed A Matter of Life and Death. Never seen that before and thought it was tremendous. A jolly good shout. Top Drawer. I want to see rest of it now.

My favourite Powell & Pressburger film, but most of their others are worth a look e.g. The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, A Canterbury Tale etc..

Would be inerested to hear what NSCs resident Film Critic Uncle Speilberg thinks of their stuff......

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

A Matter Of Life and Death is fantastic, fantasy/love story mixed with WW2 propoganda, superbly directed and acted. The table tennis scene is brilliant

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i have to confess I have seen very little of their films. I shall be rectifying this situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here