Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest start to a film

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Someone mentioned Saving Private Ryan on the Worst Film thread and it got me thinking about brilliant beginings to films.

For me one of the most memorable was Gladiator.

That 'walking through the wheat field' scene has been often copied and then the stunning battle against the Germans.

"At my signal, unleash hell". - wow.

[yt]kzV87pflcII[/yt]

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Way of The Gun is a great start to a film "Shut that c*nts mouth before I come over there and f*** start her head". Great stuff. One for the kids.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It depends on the timeframe of " start ", 1 min, 5 mins, 10 mins Saving Private Ryan is certainly the best first 25 minutes for me.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I thought the Inglourious Basterds one was quite good, it really gave an introduction to Hans Landa, and the ton of suspense he keeps behind that cool expression on his face, In fact, Christopher Waltz was the only guy I really paid my full attention to in that film.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For me however the best ever start with Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the desert with the music building up sat in the cinema with 1000 other people at the Odean in 1977 and then after 30 seconds the blinding flash of light and crescendo of music. I had never experienced anything like it as a 15 year old boy.

I was hooked and then my love, obsession and admiration for Spielberg began and has never let up. This film is a work of art and Spielberg at the absolute top of his game. It knocked the populist and greater box office success of Star Wars released 2 month earlier into a cocked hat.

Watch the start again and tell me I am wrong.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I reckon 75% of people opening this thread came here to post Saving Private Ryan.

So; Saving Private Ryan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought the Inglourious Basterds one was quite good,

I'll second this. I have a feeling that this film will be seen as a classic in years to come.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
IB was a great start I would agree with that.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The start to any Asa Akira film also tends to grab my atention from the first reel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Star Wars. after the band strikes up, the background story scrolls by, fades to space, the planets, a space ship glides across, followed by gargantuan f*** off star destroyer. thats it, you are hooked in, you are there. consider the effect on a 1977 cinema viewer.

followed by Saving Private Ryan, only that was not orginal (see The Big Red One, a better film really)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good but not as good as Close Encounters which was a far superior and intelligent film imo.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Opening credits of Saturday Night Fever

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pretty cool to be sure. Travalto strutting down the New York street. A star was born ( although the film was average but with a great soundtrack. How deep is your love being one of the greatest ballads of all time ). I digress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here