Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever Albion matches (nominations)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
3-1 versus Villa in 1972, & 3-1 v. Spurs in the old Division 2 were memorable. Passion on the terraces.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
I remember many good'uns, but Liverpool (a) 1983 FAC gets my vote. It was a crime there were no cameras at the match to record the all time Albion classic.

The big ones I wish I had never missed; Newcastle(a) 1979, I was only 13 and couldn't find a spare seat on any mode of transport to get there, and Hereford(a) 1997.

Also I remember listening to BBC Radio Sussex one wet Tuesday evening to reports (no commentary) from an away match at Grimsby (in the early eighties?). We sounded rubbish and were losing two nil with a couple of minutes to go. I was about to switch off when we scored. Incredidibly the regular programme was interupted twice more as we scored two more in injury time to win three two.

Did anyone here go to that one?

BRIGHT ON Q said:
It was like sardines in that end but that IS the best atmosphere i have ever experienced at an Albion game.every one got a red scarf with their ticket if i remember.Goalscorers?..Jacobs and????

Steve Penney?

Albion Rob

Can I just add Cardiff at home in 2001 to that list. They came down giving it the billy big bollocks saying they were going to thrash us. Bobby pounced on an error to stick us 1-0 up and then we defended doggedly to claim the win and stick one paw on the trophy. Just really tense and exciting and the best Withdean atmosphere apart from Chesterfield.

BRIGHT ON Q said:
It was like sardines in that end but that IS the best atmosphere i have ever experienced at an Albion game.every one got a red scarf with their ticket if i remember.Goalscorers?..Jacobs and????

I was Dean Saunders (although on that day it more like Torvill and Dean).

I don't suppose nowadays they would have stared the game as it was played aon a sheet ofice undert some snow.

Anyone recall their second goal which hit the melted core of the snowman that Perry digweed had made during the first half and bounced over him..................

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
!980/81 away to Sunderland. Albion had been certs for relegation but a 3-0 stuffing of Palace at Selhurst and home win at Leciester on Easter Monday meant the Albion are just above the bottom three and desperately need a win to have a chance of avoiding relegation to Div 2.

Arrived on the train at Sunderland at about half one to be greeted by about 200 local coppers, who are somewhat bemused to find the Albion support consisted of no more than 50 of us (those were the days). They therefore drove us to Roker Park in police vans as it was less trouble.

Michael Robinson scored midway through the first half, but Sunderland battered us as defeat for them meant they dropped into the relegation zone and their final fixture was away to Liverpool. They finally equalised after an hour, and laid seige to the goal. Fozzie headed everything away and it was classic Alamo defending.

In the last minute we broke away and Gordon Smith put a square ball across the box for Gary Williams to arrive from defensive duties and smash it into the far corner with his left peg. All 50 of us go nuts and there is total stunned silence from the locals. Sheer heaven!

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Brighton 4 Luton 1 circa 1989, we were in the old 2nd Div and Luton in the old 1st. Fa Cup.
Was a great result at the time, remember Luton fans in the North with us soon shut up when we went 4 up!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Exmouth Seagull said:

Also I remember listening to BBC Radio Sussex one wet Tuesday evening to reports (no commentary) from an away match at Grimsby (in the early eighties?). We sounded rubbish and were losing two nil with a couple of minutes to go. I was about to switch off when we scored. Incredidibly the regular programme was interupted twice more as we scored two more in injury time to win three two.

Did anyone here go to that one?

We actually got four in the last fifteen minutes, Exmouth, to win 4-2!

Herne Hill Pedant at your service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here