Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever Albion matches (nominations)

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Best I have seen.

Brighton 2 Aston Villa 1 - 1972 stands out in my memory

Brighton 2 Ipswich 1 - 1976 League Cup Replay
Brighton 1 Derby 1 - 1976 League Cup

Tottenham 0 - Brighton 0 1977 best 0-0 draw I have ever seen

Forest 0 Brighton1 - (eighty four minutes watching the clock in the rain)
Brighton 3 Palace 0 Boxing Day 1979
Palace 1 Brighton 1 Easter 1980

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Zeitgeist said:
One of my favourites has to be against Portsmouth in the late eighties. Two minutes to go, 1-0 down, then heaven....Two goals in a minute from Nelson & Bremner, plus a Portsmouth player sent off....It was hammering down with rain that night too, so the poor folk from Hampshire went home soaked. :lolol:

I remember that game! What a night!
Pompy were playing in a salmon pink / orange away kit that was exactly the same colour as the jackets worn by the stewards standing by the edge of the pitch. Can't remember how many times they got flagged off-side when they didn't have player in sight! :lol: :lol:

The play-off Final vs Notts County was great, just to experience 50% of Wembley full of Albion fans - far more than you would be allocated for a cup final. Just a shame the performance was shit!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't think DC's winner was in the dying seconds, Biscuit. I recall that it was the 71st minute.

They all seem a bit recent. Wouldn't you have liked to have been there the day that we won the Charity Shield, or when Adrian Thorne scored five?

How about the 2-2 draw with QPR in 66/67 or the 1-1 draw with Chelsea the same season?

The match against Villa in 71/72 (Irvine's goal) or the promotion game against Rochdale?

I think that Albion have a longer history than 25 years.

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Padders said:
Best I have seen.

Brighton 2 Aston Villa 1 - 1972 stands out in my memory

Brighton 2 Ipswich 1 - 1976 League Cup Replay
Brighton 1 Derby 1 - 1976 League Cup

Tottenham 0 - Brighton 0 1977 best 0-0 draw I have ever seen

Forest 0 Brighton1 - (eighty four minutes watching the clock in the rain)
Brighton 3 Palace 0 Boxing Day 1979
Palace 1 Brighton 1 Easter 1980

I was at that Brighton - Villa game in 72. It was on Match of the day. Willie Inrvine's goal came third in goal of the seaon.

Over and above all the others mentioned - for me
Brighton v York City Late 73? Brian Clough - Brighton manager!!!??

Wolves at home last season- John Motson in Munich kept going through my mind - "This just keeps getting better and better!"

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
Forest vs Brighton 5th round of the league cup 1979. Raining Wednesday night, 60 charter coaches plus 6 charter trains left the south coast, everyone bunked off school, live on sportsnight. Away support packed frighteningly tight into the City Ground. Outsang them and ...we lost...remember singing 'you're going in the trent, you're going in the trent' to the tune of 'those were the days my freinds'

Forest went on to win the cup :glare:

Peter ward scored our one....with his HEAD :lolol:

I was up in front of the headmaster the following day for bunking off to travel up (parents thought we were sleeping over at each others houses!)

Those were the days my freinds
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Brady's Old Lady said:

Over and above all the others mentioned - for me
Brighton v York City Late 73? Brian Clough - Brighton manager!!!??

My first ever Albion match! Cloughie's first match in charge.

Brighton vs York City 3rd November 1973
att. 16,017

The score 0 - 0.

I learned an early and valuable lesson about "raised hopes, cruelly dashed" when following the Albion.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liverpool 2-2 Brighton followed by the replay were the two best games i have EVER seen.

Away at Anfield on the saturday with my dad, i remember being sooo excited at coming from 2 nil down to draw. The guy in front of me, probably one fo you lot turned round and said 'Good innit', i remember smiling and shouting brilliant', brings a tear to my eye every time i think about it.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Biscuit said:
Chesterfield (h) when danny cullip scored that cracker in the dying seconds. One of the most tense games in recent history!

what the goal in the 79 min biscuit?

brighton 6 torquay 2 one of my faves!
brighton 4 cambridge 3 - one of the most nerve racking

Surprised no-one mentioned......

Date -21st May 1983
Venue - Wembley Stadium
Event - F.A. Cup Final

Lil' ol' us v the might Man U:eek:
Winning half time
Brilliant goal from Butch Wilkins
late equaliser from gary Stevens (world class performance)
extra time
that chance........................
:ascarf:

I would have loved, absolutley loved, to have been at Stamford bridge in 1911 to see us beat Villa (My Grandad was a Chelsea regular then, and I like to think that he was there - shame I never asked him)

and then of course...how could i forget................

12/9/89 Tue. FL D2 Wolverhampton Wanderers(a) W 4-2 (HT 4-1) G.Nelson, K.Bremner 2, R.Codner 12,338

coupled on the same night as

LIVERPOOL 9-0 CRYSTAL PALACE

Oh, how we laughed:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Another one for me:

Brighton 3 - 0 Cheltenham
13/9/03 - 2000

We'd had a crap start losing at Southend and Lincoln, and at home to Kidderminster, with one win home to Rochdale.

Then we beat Torquay 6-2, a game that despite the end result did have it'd dodgy moments (they came back from 3-0 to 3-2 before we settled nerves by making it 4-2 H/T). I can't recall the games in between but Celtenham came down well fancied as one of the better teams in the division. We P'd all over them the whole game. There was a point during that afternoon where I really started to believe! The rest as they say.....

For me it would have to be the Fans United game against Hartlepool, I was just about to move to Brighton, and was not even an Albion 'fan' at the time, but it was the game that laid the foundations for me finally defecting to the blue and white stripes once I was settled here.

An utterly unique occasion, that showed me that there was more to football than the rarified environs of the pampered premiership.

I would also have to mention the Chesterfield championship decider, a classic football night, passion, needle, justice and victory. fantastic.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
gerbil said:
Walsall at home in '76?

0-0 at half time!!! Ward got 4 and Mellor got 3.:clap2:

my personal favourite. It was a midweek game and we won 7-2 against York City on the previous Saturday. It was 2-2 at half time as well. what did Mullery put in their tea at half time?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Colchester 4-4 Boxing Day at Gillingham? 0-3 at half time and it looked like curtains and then at 3-4 Minton had a penalty. Nearly everyone in the stand couldn't watch - We were convinced he would miss and then he slapped it in. Marvellous.

I never forget beating Pompey 1-0 (1993 ish) in the cup at the Goldstone, when they were all over us. How we won I'll never know we should have been murdered.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
colochester at gillingham 3 0 down at half time pulled it back to 3 3 then they went 4 3 ahead then minton scored from the spot

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
gerbil said:
Walsall at home in '76?

0-0 at half time!!! Ward got 4 and Mellor got 3.:clap2:

Thought it was a shame that Gerry Fell never scored 3 when he played with Peter Ward. We could have had the class headline in the Argus:

Geriatric Ward 2

Last edited:

Mad Gerald

Jul 17, 2003
Other games not mentioned that I attended:

Chester 1 Brighton 7, Feb 2000 (Zamora's first hat-trick)
Plymouth 0 Brighton 2, April 2001 (Div 3 Promotion game - As the first actual achievement by the club since May 88 and because it truly marked the end of our decline)
Brighton 2 Leeds 0, May 1981 (survived relegation and was my first game)
Liverpool 2 Brighton 2, Jan 1991 (FAC). Not historic, but a great second half performance.

Games that I wish I was at:

Newcastle 1979
Notts County away 1988 (helped set us up for automatic promotion and de-rail County's promotion push).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here