Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever Albion matches (nominations)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Looking for truly historic matches for the Albion. Games you really wish you were at (unless you were, of course).

Could be most important, best result, most exciting or whatever.

Was going to do a poll but thought it best to get nominations in first.

I'll start with...

Newcastle (A), 78/79
Nottm Forest (A), 79/80
Liverpool (Cup A), 82/83
Sheffield Wed (Cup), 82/83
Manchester United (FA Cup Final), 82/83
Liverpool (Cup H), 83/84
Ipswich Town (H), 90/91
Harlepool (Fans United H), 96/97
Doncaster (H), 96/97
Hereford (A), 96/97
Chesterfield (H), 00/01

Any more nominations?

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Sheffield United 5 Brighton and Hove Albion 4

Not a great result for the Albion but anyone who was there that day walked out of that game not knowing if they were coming or going. 3 nil down, 4 - 3 up only to lose in the last minute.

Certainly one of my top ten albion games, others have been mentioned.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion 3 - 0 Hull 96/97.

I'd gone to Melbourne about 3 months before and we had not won a home game in all that time. It was Steve Gritt's first game in charge. My then girlfriend (now wife) got up at 3 or 4 am to pick me up from Heathrow. At the same time her sister and Dad (yes, my father-in-law) went down to the Goldstone and painted the now infamous:

"Gritt beleives Bellotti Bullshit" outside the West Stand. For the Hull fans he also painted something like "Fish Out" in the South-East corner.

It was during this match that the Albion turned the corner on the pitch. No matter what was going on with Archer and Bellotti I truly believe there would not be a Brighton & Hove Albion today had we got relegated to the Conference that season.

From that moment a crazy win at home (apart from the incredible 4-4 Orient game) and lose away (apart from a draw at Cambridge, I think) sequence ensued. Until, of course, Hereford. What a day.

Jul 5, 2003
How about Charlton Athletic at home (1st October 1983).

We won 7 - 0. Jimmy Case scored 3, Gerry Ryan 2, Terry Connor 1 and even Gordon Smith scored!

I spoke to a Charlton fan the following Monday and he was saying that a lot of their supporters thought it was the best performance they had ever seen from a club in the English league and that was just after we had been relegated!

It wasn't like we actually dominated the game the Stats people would probably have said that posession was around 51/49 in our favour. We were just extremely good in front of goal and took every chance that came our way.

Great game! - there have probably been better but I just remember this one so well.

Bozza said:
Albion 3 - 0 Hull 96/97.

At the same time her sister and Dad (yes, my father-in-law) went down to the Goldstone and painted the now infamous:

"Gritt believes Bellotti Bullshit" outside the West Stand. For the Hull fans he also painted something like "Fish Out" in the South-East corner.

Peter forgot the the last "t" in Gritt though didn't he?? :rolleyes: :)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Albion 4 Millwall 1 in the play off semi.
1-0 down and underdogs but second half and the game was turned on its head.i think every one forgot there were a load of millwall in the north and just went bloody mental.:D

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Home to Sheffield United last season - not a great game but how many people have forgotten the ref? Not many.

Away to Brentford in the FA Cup First Round 1987 - basically for THAT Garry Nelson goal. Such a pity no cameras were there.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Not on a par with Hereford, Fans Utd, etc but what about these two:

4-2 vs Newcastle home (1990/91 season?) All 4 Albion goals scored by Bryan Wade, memorable night

2-3 vs Liverpool (1990/91?) FA Cup. Went to extra time at 1-1, and Mike Small scored first half of extra time for us to go 2-1 up!! What a bundle in the North Stand!! (Beardsley, Rush, Barnes, et al turned on the style admittedly second half of extra time, but what the hell!!)

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
It has to be Hereford - the defining moment in our history....and I was there.

Beating Millwall 4-1 in the playoffs would also be another one in the mixer for me. The Ipswich game that got us there was also pretty special when we scored :) :) :)

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Peterborough away in the Fa cup in 86-87 season, 7,000 Albion fans. What a day, 2-1 down and scored in the 86 minute to level the tie and force a replay. I was behind the goal with the other 6,500 Albion faithfull the other 500 was in the seats, Can only describe the celebrations after that goal as complete and utter bedlem.

The atmosphere was unbelieveble.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Bozza said:
Albion 3 - 0 Hull 96/97.

[SNIP]

From that moment a crazy win at home (apart from the incredible 4-4 Orient game)

Was going to include both of those but thought 96/97 was already quite well represented - in my list anyway.

Funny how our worst year is also (kind of) our best. :)

BTW, I'm looking to do a Top 10 Greatest Albion games so nobody needs to name THE greatest game at the mo - just trying to draw up a shortlist.

One of my favourites has to be against Portsmouth in the late eighties. Two minutes to go, 1-0 down, then heaven....Two goals in a minute from Nelson & Bremner, plus a Portsmouth player sent off....It was hammering down with rain that night too, so the poor folk from Hampshire went home soaked. :lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Chesterfield (h) when danny cullip scored that cracker in the dying seconds. One of the most tense games in recent history!

bar that hereford 96/97.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Walsall at home in '76?

0-0 at half time!!! Ward got 4 and Mellor got 3.:clap2:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
hereford has to be the best game i have been. (not the actual football itself). but atmosphere and result. think most entertaining game i have been would probably be the 5.4 defeat at sheff utd, as mentioned by seagulls over lewes. will never forget as a kid watching peterbro away in fa cup on t.v in the snow. i couldnt wait to get there 4 first time 2 years ago. didnt dissapoint either as we virtually secured promotion to div 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here