Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great article by Steve Coogan on the Top Gear Mexican 'joke' controversy

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
:thumbsup: - Steve Coogan

I quite like Top Gear but the Mexican jokes were not funny and yes Richard Hammond came across as a the sneaky wimp who hangs around with the big bully.

My youngest son loves the show and I didn't want to sound off at him over this. Instead I took him out to a Mexican restaurant and no one fell asleep preparing our food and he really enjoyed the sick with cheese on it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But we are talking about Top Gear though, not other shows. I could quote 101 things that are said on TV every week that could be considered inflammatory but it is Hammond/Clarkson/May so because it has lost it's status a little people are moaning about it.

You are clearly wrong El Pres and you love me for pointing it out:whistle:

But is it? I refer to your original comment 'it is the media's favourite witch hunt'.

In the light of Andy Gray, Robert Keys, Jonathan Ross, Carol Thatcher and Jason Manford, all of whom lost jobs or were at the very least suspended for their behaviour, I see no evidence to support your assertion.

Sep 1, 2010
But is it? I refer to your original comment 'it is the media's favourite witch hunt'.

In the light of Andy Gray, Robert Keys, Jonathan Ross, Carol Thatcher and Jason Manford, all of whom lost jobs or were at the very least suspended for their behaviour, I see no evidence to support your assertion.

The Media have been having a pop at Top Gear for alot longer than those you have mentioned. Maybe Favourite was not entirely accurate but every case has to be taken on it's own merit. You said the N word earlier, go on ban yourself(or was that only a joke)

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Peter Hook said of Coogan, when the latter played the part of (Sir) Tony Wilson in 24 Hour Party People 'Manchester's biggest cvnt played by Manchester's second biggest cvnt', and he was about right.

However on this one I'm with Coogan.

I think you'll find it was 'twat' not 'cvnt'. Hooky would more than fulfill that description.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which bit is true and bit do you not understand. The Love thy neighbour and using the word Ni**** comment, you see, in what context is this acceptable

The true bit was you agreeing that 'Favourite' was not accurate.

If you want to see where the word ****** is acceptable, I direct you to South Park Season 11 episode 1 'With Apologies to Jesse Jackson', which you can view here http://allsp.com/

The word itself is not offensive, it is merely a word, as you rightly say, it is the context that defines the offense.

Sep 1, 2010
The true bit was you agreeing that 'Favourite' was not accurate.

If you want to see where the word ****** is acceptable, I direct you to South Park Season 11 episode 1 'With Apologies to Jesse Jackson', which you can view here http://allsp.com/

The word itself is not offensive, it is merely a word, as you rightly say, it is the context that defines the offense.

Not gonna click the link because the voices grate me. So i refer the to the Mexican thing on Top Gear, what the hell are people moaning about. Coogan himself has probably said things just as bad, but hey that is poetic license for you.

I am glad this didn't end in calling each other a P**** and you agreeing with me:mexican:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm a bit late to join this thread but I totally agree with Coogan. Clarkson is a boorish, over weight, middle-aged pub bore. His comedy carries no wit or cleverness. It's just sad. I bet his fans also find Chris Moyles witty and smart.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm a bit late to join this thread but I totally agree with Coogan. Clarkson is a boorish, over weight, middle-aged pub bore. His comedy carries no wit or cleverness. It's just sad. I bet his fans also find Chris Moyles witty and smart.

Oi! I am middle aged and overweight too, stop picking on us.

Sep 1, 2010
I don't find them funny(maybe very mildly amusing in a pissed uncle kinda way), but i do like some of the articles on location. Moyles however i would happily place in a blender

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't find them funny(maybe very mildly amusing in a pissed uncle kinda way), but i do like some of the articles on location. Moyles however i would happily place in a blender

Listening to the Chelsea v Liverpool match, Alan Green should be put in the blender first, just to test it works....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Actually it's Catholicism although I can't see any connection to corruption, just over population.

The clergy are actually a voice against what makes Mexico truly a nation on the nose.

(Reuters) - Mexican drug traffickers fighting a brutal turf war are attacking priests and preachers who denounce cartel violence, shattering clerics' untouchable aura and breaking honor codes in the world's second-biggest Catholic country.

Gunmen killed a Catholic priest and two seminary students as they left a church in southern Mexico in early June.

Around 1,000 Catholic priests face constant threats from drug gangs across Mexico and as many as 400 have been directly warned to silence their criticisms of narco violence and extortions or be killed, the Mexican Bishop's Conference says.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Summed up perfectly for me :thumbsup:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Which law? Nick Griffin is a legitimate leader of a political party, as is Wilders, David Irving is an established historian and Terry Jones has God's cellphone number on speeddial.

Promoting an "whites only agenda" is illigal I thought? Especialy on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here