Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great article by Steve Coogan on the Top Gear Mexican 'joke' controversy

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Coogans a nob, I know this for a FACT!

I am not a great fan of Coogan as I rarely find him funny. Can't see why he feels the need to strick his two penneth in here and frankly who really cares who he thinks anyway ?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
go for it

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't think freedom of speech is being questioned, but freedom of speech comes with responsibility, especially if you're in the public eye with the ears of millions listening on.

Like Frankie Boyle for example ? Let's face it anybody who takes trhe comments on Top Gear seriously deserves to be offended. Clarkson has said so many times that he doesn't believe most of what he says he'sjust a WUM.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? You don't find him a smug arrogant bully?

Not sure I feel that strongly about him tbh but what you describe is not a prig and is probably the opposite of Clarkson?

a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was ot even Claskens who said it? I thought it was Hammond who said the worst stuff.

In fairness Clarkson didn't say much at all from memory.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
"Richard Hammond, the man who has carved out a best-selling literary career on the back of his inability to drive safely." - Stewart Lee

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Ok, I drink real ale, as do most of my mates (only works in challenging the stereotype if know us I guess).

Fair enough, even I have drunk it on occasions. But the stereotype is somewhat propagated in my mind by the fact that James May used to advertise the stuff, London Pride I think although I stand to be corrected.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't think freedom of speech is being questioned, but freedom of speech comes with responsibility, especially if you're in the public eye with the ears of millions listening on.

Whilst I admire your noble idea - its more of an idea than reality isn't it. If people in the public eye always said the responsible thing the world would be a rather different place...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fair enough, even I have drunk it on occasions. But the stereotype is somewhat propagated in my mind by the fact that James May used to advertise the stuff, London Pride I think although I stand to be corrected.

You are correct and he still does. Those adverts are irritating in the extreme, especially the one about half pints. I'll drink Pride if there's nothing better on but think twice about it now. Be interesting to see if their sales have improved since that campaign.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you're going to be a ****, at least be a funny one. Clarkson et al. are just cnuts.
Do they ever make jokes which are not at someone else's (normally a historically or socially disadvantaged minority group) expense? They just come across as a bunch of real-ale drinking, rugby club bullies.

if you're going to call people cnuts for having sterotypes and prejudices, at least dont be a hypocrite and cast sterotypes and prejudices yourself.

also funny how people people wade against Clarkson when he didnt say anything, as highlighted above. like the tabloid readers who will join a chorus of outrage over something they never actually saw or read in first person.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Coogan's a legend. Was with a friend when we managed to put a small dent in his porsche when he was sat outside the London Unity one day. After having a look at the damage, told us to not worry about it... Sound fella.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Whilst I admire your noble idea - its more of an idea than reality isn't it. If people in the public eye always said the responsible thing the world would be a rather different place...

It is. It's noble ideas and the wish to be something better than the sum of our base instincts that makes us human. It'd also be very dull if everyone was responsible all the time. Thing is some irresponsibility is more dangerous than others. I'm not suggesting a bit casual racism by some tools on tv is going to bring civilisation as we know it to an end, but the fact that it makes it 'cool' in some people's eyes is worrying. That is why I think Coogan has felt the need to challenge it and good on him.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
To me its still people declaring what they think others should and shouldn't say. Thats more dangerous than letting people say what they want in my opinion (as long as we have legislation in place to punish people for things that incite hatred etc. which we do)...

Coogan should be more intelligent than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here